Bills fans and why the love of Blue Collar teams?

Jrb1979

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

AFL is not the Super Bowl. That's 50+ years ago and nobody cares about that anymore. 

Andre Reed got into the HOF based on longevity, not peak performance. His numbers are nowhere near Antonio Brown's in terms of pace or high end production. Now we could apply a curve to Brown and say he played in an easier NFL in terms of clutching and grabbing, but his numbers are on pace to annihilate Reed's. 

Actually I did point out T.White by name when saying the Bills best talent. Outside of him though ........ 

Congrats Sabres, 4 years in with Eichel and not even a sniff at 8th place in the Eastern Conference. When is he going to score 40 goals by the way? Maybe the real truth is that as good as he is, he is not Connor McDavid, who was the real ace in that Draft. But can't say that. 

Who the hell do you think you are, daring to say that no one cares about those AFL championships?  I got news for you son, there are many of us around who sat in the Rockpile and cheered for those teams and remember to this day those teams.   Your arrogance is nauseating.

Andre Reed is a HOF WR.  Brown isn't yet and we'll see if he is.  Your statement was that both teams are "devoid of talent" and you now don't have the guts to stand up for your own words.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why would Allen only be able to get AB the ball 12 times in 3 games? Isn't he supposed to be the Franchise QB? Our GM and Coach and Bills PR are selling him as the Future, so how come the standard is so low?

Or have we seen this movie before with Trent Edwards and TO? 

I'm not angry, and I'm not ranting. 

But it's clear that with Buffalo sports fan you can't tell the truth. You can't say - this town has low sports self esteem and the organizations have no standards. 

As a fan, you have to be a bobblehead that agrees with McDermott's premise that "out-culturing" the league is the path the to Promise Land or other fans get upset with you. 

Dude idk just hypothetical, don’t mean to sound like a dick sorry.  Love JA but it’s like going from working at apple to flipping burgers at McDonald’s. And you gave it to mrs McDonald. 

Bills fans love blue color cuz Kwilliams is god 

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Who the hell do you think you are, daring to say that no one cares about those AFL championships?  I got news for you son, there are many of us around who sat in the Rockpile and cheered for those teams and remember to this day those teams.   Your arrogance is nauseating.

Andre Reed is a HOF WR.  Brown isn't yet and we'll see if he is.  Your statement was that both teams are "devoid of talent" and you now don't have the guts to stand up for your own words.

I'll address all of this. 

1. Congratulations to the Bills, who the 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship, with 8 total teams, 54 years ago. 

2. Antonio Brown at 30 is a 4-time All Pro, 7x Pro-Bowler, has 837 catches for 11,207 yards and 74 TDs.  

Andre Reed retired at 36 years old, with 7x Pro Bowls, 951 catches for 13,198 yards and 87 TDs. 

One more season and Brown is on the door step of Reed's numbers, and one season past that he will pass Andre Reed is every major category.

He's not guaranteed, of course he could get hurt. But it's debatable. His peak is better. 

3. They are devoid of talent. The Sabres have one-line. The Bills best offensive player is Robert Foster?

Outside of Trey White and Jack Eichel, what do you have? Dahlin and who?

7 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Dude idk just hypothetical, don’t mean to sound like a dick sorry.  Love JA but it’s like going from working at apple to flipping burgers at McDonald’s. And you gave it to mrs McDonald. 

Bills fans love blue color cuz Kwilliams is god 

I liked Kyle Williams too. 

It's shame he never got a chance to play for a good team so that he could see the Playoffs. It's a credit to him for the loyalty he showed to the Bills, but it most certainly capped his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

1. Congratulations to the Bills, who the 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship, with 8 total teams, 54 years ago. 

2. Antonio Brown at 30 is a 4-time All Pro, 7x Pro-Bowler, has 837 catches for 11,207 yards and 74 TDs.  

Andre Reed retired at 36 years old, with 7x Pro Bowls, 951 catches for 13,198 yards and 87 TDs. 

One more season and Brown is on the door step of Reed's numbers, and one season past that he will pass Andre Reed is every major category.

He's not guaranteed, of course he could get hurt. But it's debatable. His peak is better. 

3. They are devoid of talent. The Sabres have one-line. The Bills best offensive player is Robert Foster?

Outside of Trey White and Jack Eichel, what do you have? Dahlin and who?

The Bills?  Hyde, Poyer, White, Edmunds, Milano, Hauschka, Allen, McCoy.

The Sabres?  Eichel, Skinner, Daboll, Reinhardt, Mittlestad (young guy getting there)

Of course both teams are trying to improve.  They each have young GMs and young HCs that are putting their stamps on their teams.  They have an owner who made some questionable choices early on but now seems to get that you have to give your maagementvteams some time, that continuity is important.

We all want success, we can all be critical at times.  But your slamming them, and the folks that support them, as you do is completely over the top.  I'll root for my hometown teams if it's all the same to you.  I'll proudly wear my stuff anywhere, anytime.  You don't want to fine.  But don't insult those who do.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

The Sabres?  Eichel, Skinner, Daboll, Reinhardt, Mittlestad (young guy getting there)

Of course both teams are trying to improve.  They each have young GMs and young HCs that are putting their stamps on their teams.  They have an owner who made some questionable choices early on but now seems to get that you have to give your maagementvteams some time, that continuity is important.

We all want success, we can all be critical at times.  But your slamming them, and the folks that support them, as you do is completely over the top.  I'll root for my hometown teams if it's all the same to you.  I'll proudly wear my stuff anywhere, anytime.  You don't want to fine.  But don't insult those who do.

old, you know who you're dealing with right?  there are self hating bills fans.  there certainly not the majority, but they sure seem to bark, (complain) the loudest.

i get fans being down on the bills, but i still love this team and this area.  that seems to anger some fans.  i don't know why.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Hyde - Nice Safety, not elite. Whaley signing by the way.

Poyer - Same as Hyde  

Edmunds - Not elite as a rookie. 

White - Very good. 

Milano - Not elite, but a quality NFL player. 

Allen - Pedestrian rookie numbers, not elite

McCoy - Well past his prime

Eichel - A Top 25 NHL player, but not a Top 5 player. Not as good as McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Matthews, and so on. 

Skinner - His best season ever, consistent 30 goal scorer. 

Reinhart - #2 overall Draft Pick, a decent starting NHL player, better than Sam Bennett

Mittlestadt - Ready to be the #2 Center at the NHL Level? No. 

Again, not much ELITE level talent there. And that translates to poor seasons for both teams. 

I didn't personally insult anyone. I just think the Buffalo fan base adopts the same low standards that the organizations do. They convince themselves that winning is around the corner when there is no evidence to support that. I don't care that Jason Botterill tries really hard, or that Brandon Beane thinks that he has a plan. So far there are no results. So once again, its blindly believe in their 3-year plan. 

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Thanks, you have once again proved that stats are for losers.

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Hyde - Nice Safety, not elite. Whaley signing by the way.

:lol:

13 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Different eras.   In the 1990 season, the Bills threw the ball 425 times and Reed had 71 catches.  In 2017,  Pittsburgh threw 584 times with 163 targets to AB alone (101 catches).  In 2018, that number increased to 686 attempts, with 168 to Brown (104 receptions).

Brown may well make the HOF but his stats have to be compared to his contemporaries, not guys from 20+ years ago...

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Thanks, you have once again proved that stats are for losers.

:lol:

Yeah you're right, facts never helped add clarity to any debate. 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Different eras.   In the 1990 season, the Bills threw the ball 425 times and Reed had 71 catches.  In 2017,  Pittsburgh threw 584 times with 163 targets to AB alone (101 catches).  In 2018, that number increased to 686 attempts, with 168 to Brown (104 receptions).

Brown may well make the HOF but his stats have to be compared to his contemporaries, not guys from 20+ years ago...

I stated that exact same thing in this thread, that a correction factor could be applied to Brown's numbers. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Is it possible to put an entire thread in time out for a little cooling off period? Does anyone remember the original topic? 

Not only is AB aging with a big contract, but what I hear is with 3 years left or so, and he wants more. Who does he think he is? Bruce Smith???

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not only is AB aging with a big contract, but what I hear is with 3 years left or so, and he wants more. Who does he think he is? Bruce Smith???

Well, we could use a pass rusher.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why would Allen only be able to get AB the ball 12 times in 3 games? Isn't he supposed to be the Franchise QB? Our GM and Coach and Bills PR are selling him as the Future, so how come the standard is so low?

Or have we seen this movie before with Trent Edwards and TO? 

I'm not angry, and I'm not ranting. 

But it's clear that with Buffalo sports fan you can't tell the truth. You can't say - this town has low sports self esteem and the organizations have no standards. 

As a fan, you have to be a bobblehead that agrees with McDermott's premise that "out-culturing" the league is the path the to Promise Land or other fans get upset with you. 

I might imagine Bills could throw to Brown many many times and his percentage of catches would be nice.
But teams will triple cover him lol. and the ball might be coming out in a hurry. and teams will nickel and dime us all Sunday .

6 hours ago, teef said:

you are angry, and you are ranting.  it's what you do.  

maybe that's you feel about being a fan, but to the rest of us who have normal, satisfying lives, it's just a sport to have some fun with.  to think i have to be a certain way so other fans don't get upset with me may be the most insane, juvenile, and pathetic thing i've ever heard from someone to justify being a sad sack.  if the bills are god next year, i'll love it and have fun with it.  if they stink yet again, i'll move on and find other outlets.  that's how healthy adults typically enjoy games.

there's more going on here.  you need buffalo sports in your life to provide you with something you're missing.  you've probably been made fun of and harassed for being a fan, so you've decided to take it out on other fans as an act of aggression.  the bills or buffalo sports shouldn't define you as a person.  it obviously does for you and that's sad.  that attitude is sad, and it shows in your posting.  you need to move on bud.  it's honestly not healthy.

In other words, your'e a very casual fan.

That's cool.

32 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That works really well when you imagine it being read it in the TMNT’s Michelangelo - ‘surfer dude’ voice.

i'm going to spend the rest of the day speaking in this voice.  i don't care what it does to my reputation.

• Haha (+1) 1

Buffalo fans and the organizations like blue collar because it's safe. Coaches and GMs can buy time and stay in their jobs longer because they can talk about always building for long term success. Fans can stay in their safe space, dreaming about a parade that Mom and Dad didn't get to see, while muttering about how rigged everything is. 

There are no expectations or standards.

The Sabres GM came out yesterday and said things like "it's hard to win in the second half because teams are trying harder" (in 2019 that's a valid reason is his mind), that leading the league in points for one day in November was an "accomplishment", that he sees "progress" despite 11 total wins since the 10-game win streak, and that patience is key because "we're a young team". 

Any reason Buffalo organizations can find to lower the bar and act like acquiring Draft Picks is the goal.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Buffalo fans and the organizations like blue collar because it's safe. Coaches and GMs can buy time and stay in their jobs longer because they can talk about always building for long term success. Fans can stay in their safe space, dreaming about a parade that Mom and Dad didn't get to see, while muttering about how rigged everything is. 

There are no expectations or standards.

The Sabres GM came out yesterday and said things like "it's hard to win in the second half because teams are trying harder" (in 2019 that's a valid reason is his mind), that leading the league in points for one day in November was an "accomplishment", that he sees "progress" despite 11 total wins since the 10-game win streak, and that patience is key because "we're a young team". 

Any reason Buffalo organizations can find to lower the bar and act like acquiring Draft Picks is the goal.....

we've moved onto the ninja turtles.  please find happiness in that.

• Like (+1) 1