Bills fans and why the love of Blue Collar teams?

Jrb1979

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You’re not under my skin or teef. 

The OP was right. A segment of Buffalo sports fans have a loser mindset.

They make excuses for mediocre results, tend to highlight average accomplishments as historic and have convinced themselves that talent equals locker room cancer. 

Players like AB and Beckham are dismissed out of hand as character risks, even though AB is better than any Bills WR to put on a uniform and Odell trails only Reed. 

Again, I’m the one who’s a B word, but it’s you hurling the personal insults.

You know nothing about me, my career, my wife or kids. 

i don't, and i truly hope that everything is going well in your life, but i'm pretty sure you wrote that rant while standing on the edge of a bridge.  my point is that if you life is rich with family and work, the bills should never get to you like that.  you have the loser mind set, yet it somehow make you feel better putting that on someone else.  grown men that constantly complain are the sorriest types of people.  

fans don't dictate results.  it's up to them to buy the product or ignore it.  i have fun with friends and family at the games, try to be optimistic, and use the bills as a minor distraction for life nonsense.  i have a feeling you harm  yourself after every bills loss.  the thread was a simple question about a perception, and you took it to the most depressing place possible...and oddly enough, it's not even close to the first time you've done it.  sack up big guy.  if the bills bother you, you need to re-evaluate priorities in life.

edit:  and for the record, i wouldn't mind having ab or obj on this team at all.  

Edited by teef

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You’re not under my skin or teef. 

The OP was right. A segment of Buffalo sports fans have a loser mindset.

They make excuses for mediocre results, tend to highlight average accomplishments as historic and have convinced themselves that talent equals locker room cancer. 

Players like AB and Beckham are dismissed out of hand as character risks, even though AB is better than any Bills WR to put on a uniform and Odell trails only Reed. 

Again, I’m the one who’s a B word, but it’s you hurling the personal insults.

You know nothing about me, my career, my wife or kids. 

Setting all the subjective stuff aside, if AB straight up quit on his team, week 17 fighting for the playoffs, in a kushy situation like Pittsburgh.  You think anything at all will stop him from quitting here? One of the few situations character actually does matter.  Its not a bad attitude, its completely giving up on the entire org. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

obviously we are under your skin

I don't want AB, or Beckhams. I don't like those kinds of players. I would rather lose then have to stomach these #######s. There are quality starters who are not ***** and who wont throw a QB or team under a bus when things get a little rough. 

as for AB here is a guy with tons of money guaranteed. If he honors that contract I respect him some. He hasn't I do not . DOn;'t want his ass here

so to sum it up. I'm a huge winner in this game because I don't sell my soul for a championship. I disrespect AB and that won't change.

overall I am happy with the current state of the Bills and looking forward to this season. You are not.  Ok... enjoy your wallow

Both Buffalo teams are devoid of talent. 

Neither team can score. 

Antonio Brown would be the best WR to ever put on a Bills uniform, outside of only TO historically. But the thought is dismissed out of hand by some of our fans because he would be too big of a distraction, or "not worth the money". In Buffalo, nobody is worth the money. We haven't won a Playoff game since 1995, but sure, let's continue to out-culture the rest of the league, led by McDermott who has never won anything in his professional life. I'm not saying you trade your draft pick pile for him, or give the Steelers what they want, but take a look at our 2nd and 3rd Round picks over the years, AB is better than all of them, easily. So keep holding onto the precious draft picks. 

You "disrespect AB and that won't change" - did you mean not respect? Otherwise that makes no sense, unless you are flipping him the bird at games or something. 

Of course you're happy with the current state of the Bills. There are no real expectations. 7 wins is technically an improvement, and we can ride the continuity excuse train a little longer. McDermott has shown little IMO that he has a grasp of the current NFL. Same with Beane. His head is in Carolina still. In love with Cam Newton and cast off Panther culture guys. Not very much in the way of quality Free Agents so far. 

I agree with you. This is a big season for the Bills. All the excuses are gone. They have their hand picked QB. They have cash. They have draft picks. They have ownership backing. They have their culture. I don't see why 10 wins is not the expectation next year. The Jets have a new Head Coach, as do the Dolphins. Brady will be 42 years old next season. Shouldn't that be 4-2, 5-1 in-division? Or are we going to get excuses about how hard the schedule is? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Neither team can score. 

Antonio Brown would be the best WR to ever put on a Bills uniform, outside of only TO historically. But the thought is dismissed out of hand by some of our fans because he would be too big of a distraction, or "not worth the money". In Buffalo, nobody is worth the money. We haven't won a Playoff game since 1995, but sure, let's continue to out-culture the rest of the league, led by McDermott who has never won anything in his professional life. I'm not saying you trade your draft pick pile for him, or give the Steelers what they want, but take a look at our 2nd and 3rd Round picks over the years, AB is better than all of them, easily. So keep holding onto the precious draft picks. 

You "disrespect AB and that won't change" - did you mean not respect? Otherwise that makes no sense, unless you are flipping him the bird at games or something. 

Of course you're happy with the current state of the Bills. There are no real expectations. 7 wins is technically an improvement, and we can ride the continuity excuse train a little longer. McDermott has shown little IMO that he has a grasp of the current NFL. Same with Beane. His head is in Carolina still. In love with Cam Newton and cast off Panther culture guys. Not very much in the way of quality Free Agents so far. 

I agree with you. This is a big season for the Bills. All the excuses are gone. They have their hand picked QB. They have cash. They have draft picks. They have ownership backing. They have their culture. I don't see why 10 wins is not the expectation next year. The Jets have a new Head Coach, as do the Dolphins. Brady will be 42 years old next season. Shouldn't that be 4-2, 5-1 in-division? Or are we going to get excuses about how hard the schedule is? 

i love these assumptions.  does it help you be angry?

Edited by teef
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't, and i truly hope that everything is going well in your life, but i'm pretty sure you wrote that rant while standing on the edge of a bridge.  my point is that if you life is rich with family and work, the bills should never get to you like that.  you have the loser mind set, yet it somehow make you feel better putting that on someone else.  grown men that constantly complain are the sorriest types of people.  

fans don't dictate results.  it's up to them to buy the product or ignore it.  i have fun with friends and family at the games, try to be optimistic, and use the bills as a minor distraction for life nonsense.  i have a feeling you harm  yourself after every bills loss.  the thread was a simple question about a perception, and you took it to the most depressing place possible...and oddly enough, it's not even close to the first time you've done it.  sack up big guy.  if the bills bother you, you need to re-evaluate priorities in life.

edit:  and for the record, i wouldn't mind having ab or obj on this team at all.  

"i have a feeling you harm yourself after every bills loss" - How is that not a conduct violation? What kind of statement is that? Did I say anything that vile to you?

The OP of this thread was the Bills (and their fans) don't want AB because they buy into the idea that he is a cancer. 

Since 1999, the Bills and Sabres have largely stopped winning (outside of the Sabres 2006/2007 Eastern Conference Championship appearances). Twenty years of Coaches telling you the virtues of outworking the rest of the league, while most times having few Top 5 type players on their team. Despite that, fans continue to echo the Coaches with the Stay the Course mindset. It's not working. 

Jeremy White has talked in recent days that the Sabres and Bills have no standards, and I agree with him. The organizations talk about how hard they work, yet, no Playoffs for the Sabres since 2011, one Playoff appearance for the Bills since 1999, a 3-point losing effort in Jacksonville. If working hard is going to be your mantra, then you have to explain to your fans how that meaningful differentiates yourself from the rest of the league.

When have the Bills shown recently they can't draft and grow elite talent? Who? Is T.White the best example we have? Their draft history is a litany of busts and average performers. So if the Draft is the key strategy (not unique at all) and showing up on time to meetings, then the Bills have to outsmart the rest of the league, and they have not shown they can do that. 

19 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Setting all the subjective stuff aside, if AB straight up quit on his team, week 17 fighting for the playoffs, in a kushy situation like Pittsburgh.  You think anything at all will stop him from quitting here? One of the few situations character actually does matter.  Its not a bad attitude, its completely giving up on the entire org. 

What culture is here that he could destroy? 

A 6-win team? 

Josh Allen's progress will be stalled throwing to Antonio Brown? He can't handle AB yelling back at him? Or demanding the football?

How about our Coach, who loves to tell you that he's seen it all in this league, done it all, been a part of two rebuilds. Why couldn't he handle AB? What about leaders like Alexander to council him? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

"i have a feeling you harm yourself after every bills loss" - How is that not a conduct violation? What kind of statement is that? Did I say anything that vile to you?

The OP of this thread was the Bills (and their fans) don't want AB because they buy into the idea that he is a cancer. 

Since 1999, the Bills and Sabres have largely stopped winning (outside of the Sabres 2006/2007 Eastern Conference Championship appearances). Twenty years of Coaches telling you the virtues of outworking the rest of the league, while most times having few Top 5 type players on their team. Despite that, fans continue to echo the Coaches with the Stay the Course mindset. It's not working. 

Jeremy White has talked in recent days that the Sabres and Bills have no standards, and I agree with him. The organizations talk about how hard they work, yet, no Playoffs for the Sabres since 2011, one Playoff appearance for the Bills since 1999, a 3-point losing effort in Jacksonville. If working hard is going to be your mantra, then you have to explain to your fans how that meaningful differentiates yourself from the rest of the league.

When have the Bills shown recently they can't draft and grow elite talent? Who? Is T.White the best example we have? Their draft history is a litany of busts and average performers. So if the Draft is the key strategy (not unique at all) and showing up on time to meetings, then the Bills have to outsmart the rest of the league, and they have not shown they can do that. 

What culture is here that he could destroy? 

A 6-win team? 

Josh Allen's progress will be stalled throwing to Antonio Brown? He can't handle AB yelling back at him? Or demanding the football?

How about our Coach, who loves to tell you that he's seen it all in this league, done it all, been a part of two rebuilds. Why couldn't he handle AB? What about leaders like Alexander to council him? 

Again, culture and reputation isnt the issue, you need to get off that.  How about after 3 weeks AB only has 12 receptions for 190 yards and the bills are 0-3.  If you think he would smile, put his nose down and work even harder you're delusional.  The issue isnt reputation, its quitting on your own team.  How long until he throws JA under the bus and requests a trade? 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

why would that be a conduct violation?  you rant away and want to play the victim?  come on huck.  

you need to realize this...you are a fan of bad teams.  it's just that simple.  you need to back off being angry at fans and start being angry at the teams themselves.  again, and i don't know how to get this across to you...fans do not control the teams.  we don't.  you and i can't change a thing other than deciding whether or not to invest money.  that's it.  i mean, you're already upset and the draft/fa hasn't even happened yet.  you don't like the current staff and their approach to winning?  fine.  i can get behind that, but your obsession with the fans is bizarre.  

buffalo sports obviously hit you emotionally.  it's not healthy, nor is it worth it.  

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

It has a lot more to do with the nation and large market cities pissing on Buffalo any chance they get

Gets old, and none of us want ot be associated with big ***** of the "non Blue Collars" cities

Does this really still  happen or are people still mad a Johnny Carson?  I move to phoenix 20 years ago,  the only time I ever hear anyone talk about buffalo is because they know I'm from there and will ask about the Bills or Sabres... I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times anyone has said anything negative about Buffalo and that was probably at a sporting event with obnoxious Buffalo fans.

1 minute ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Again, culture and reputation isnt the issue, you need to get off that.  How about after 3 weeks AB only has 12 receptions for 190 yards and the bills are 0-3.  If you think he would smile, put his nose down and work even harder you're delusional.  The issue isnt reputation, its quitting on your own team.  How long until he throws JA under the bus and requests a trade? 

Why would Allen only be able to get AB the ball 12 times in 3 games? Isn't he supposed to be the Franchise QB? Our GM and Coach and Bills PR are selling him as the Future, so how come the standard is so low?

Or have we seen this movie before with Trent Edwards and TO? 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

why would that be a conduct violation?  you rant away and want to play the victim?  come on huck.  

you need to realize this...you are a fan of bad teams.  it's just that simple.  you need to back off being angry at fans and start being angry at the teams themselves.  again, and i don't know how to get this across to you...fans do not control the teams.  we don't.  you and i can't change a thing other than deciding whether or not to invest money.  that's it.  i mean, you're already upset and the draft/fa hasn't even happened yet.  you don't like the current staff and their approach to winning?  fine.  i can get behind that, but your obsession with the fans is bizarre.  

buffalo sports obviously hit you emotionally.  it's not healthy, nor is it worth it.  

I'm not angry, and I'm not ranting. 

But it's clear that with Buffalo sports fan you can't tell the truth. You can't say - this town has low sports self esteem and the organizations have no standards. 

As a fan, you have to be a bobblehead that agrees with McDermott's premise that "out-culturing" the league is the path the to Promise Land or other fans get upset with you. 

43 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

obviously we are under your skin

I don't want AB, or Beckhams. I don't like those kinds of players. I would rather lose then have to stomach these #######s.

You'd rather lose than have AB or Beckham? I don't understand that rationale, but to each their own. I'd love to see the Bills field a Superbowl winning team in my lifetime. Wouldn't diminish it one bit if we had a WR with an extravagant personality.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

You'd rather lose than have AB or Beckham? I don't understand that rationale, but to each their own. I'd love to see the Bills field a Superbowl winning team in my lifetime. Wouldn't diminish it one bit if we had a WR with an extravagant personality.

Amen. 

A top flight NFL talent on the Bills! 

Yes he may want the ball. Yes will want to be paid. Yes he will be competitive. 

But he would immediately be the most talented Bills WR in the history of the Franchise, except for TO who historically is Top 5, but was trending down at the time he was on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm not angry, and I'm not ranting. 

But it's clear that with Buffalo sports fan you can't tell the truth. You can't say - this town has low sports self esteem and the organizations have no standards. 

As a fan, you have to be a bobblehead that agrees with McDermott's premise that "out-culturing" the league is the path the to Promise Land or other fans get upset with you. 

you are angry, and you are ranting.  it's what you do.  

maybe that's you feel about being a fan, but to the rest of us who have normal, satisfying lives, it's just a sport to have some fun with.  to think i have to be a certain way so other fans don't get upset with me may be the most insane, juvenile, and pathetic thing i've ever heard from someone to justify being a sad sack.  if the bills are god next year, i'll love it and have fun with it.  if they stink yet again, i'll move on and find other outlets.  that's how healthy adults typically enjoy games.

there's more going on here.  you need buffalo sports in your life to provide you with something you're missing.  you've probably been made fun of and harassed for being a fan, so you've decided to take it out on other fans as an act of aggression.  the bills or buffalo sports shouldn't define you as a person.  it obviously does for you and that's sad.  that attitude is sad, and it shows in your posting.  you need to move on bud.  it's honestly not healthy.

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Amen. 

A top flight NFL talent on the Bills! 

Yes he may want the ball. Yes will want to be paid. Yes he will be competitive. 

But he would immediately be the most talented Bills WR in the history of the Franchise, except for TO who historically is Top 5, but was trending down at the time he was on the Bills.

I will say I understand where they're coming from to a certain extent. We'd all love the Bills to be a roster full of admirable human beings. The reality is that winning teams generally have a few "characters." I don't want a team full of punks, but if it means the Bills are championship caliber, I'm perfectly fine taking on a less than perfect guy. I don't think AB is coming here, but I'd love to see it happen. Let him and Poyer work it out like men.

Edited by BillsSB2020

4 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

After reading many threads on here I have come across a lot of Bills fans seem to love a blue collar type team. A lot seem to be against having an Antonio Brown type player cause they don't fit the Buffalo blue collar type. 

Why do you fans love the Blue Collar team?

It's not so much Blue Collar as High-Motor Lunch Pail. :worthy:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

you are angry, and you are ranting.  it's what you do.  

maybe that's you feel about being a fan, but to the rest of us who have normal, satisfying lives, it's just a sport to have some fun with.  to think i have to be a certain way so other fans don't get upset with me may be the most insane, juvenile, and pathetic thing i've ever heard from someone to justify being a sad sack.  if the bills are god next year, i'll love it and have fun with it.  if they stink yet again, i'll move on and find other outlets.  that's how healthy adults typically enjoy games.

there's more going on here.  you need buffalo sports in your life to provide you with something you're missing.  you've probably been made fun of and harassed for being a fan, so you've decided to take it out on other fans as an act of aggression.  the bills or buffalo sports shouldn't define you as a person.  it obviously does for you and that's sad.  that attitude is sad, and it shows in your posting.  you need to move on bud.  it's honestly not healthy.

Here we go again, take more shots at the quality of my life which you know nothing about. 

I haven't been harassed at all. Outside of Buffalo, the Bills and Sabres are irrelevant, they don't come up in conversation. The NHL is a distant 4th in the United States, and the Bills are one of the least covered teams in the NFL. 

But locally, its not just me "taking it out on the fans", radio personalities in Buffalo are beginning to openly speak out the weak mantras coming from OBD and Key Bank Center. 

I think simply that the Bills and Sabres have had long enough. The owners don't speak, there are no results, and there are no standards. The Bills want to out-culture the league, and the Sabres are still looking in the mirror for the answers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Neither team can score. 

Andre Reed is in the HOF but Brown would be our best receiver ever?  You claim we've never won anything and ignore the AFL championships which many of us here celebrated.  You claim neither the Bills nor Sabres have any talent and ignore guys like Tradavious and Eichel just to name a couple.

You also lump every team together as if they have never had changes in management and coaching.  They have been in a prolonged dry spell, true.  That is to me when the true fan hangs in there.  Can one be critical and still do that?  Yes.  You however take it way farther than that.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Andre Reed is in the HOF but Brown would be our best receiver ever?  You claim we've never won anything and ignore the AFL championships which many of us here celebrated.  You claim neither the Bills nor Sabres have any talent and ignore guys like Tradavious and Eichel just to name a couple.

You also lump every team together as if they have never had changes in management and coaching.  They have been in a prolonged dry spell, true.  That is to me when the true fan hangs in there.  Can one be critical and still do that?  Yes.  You however take it way farther than that.

AFL is not the Super Bowl. That's 50+ years ago and nobody cares about that anymore. 

Andre Reed got into the HOF based on longevity, not peak performance. His numbers are nowhere near Antonio Brown's in terms of pace or high end production. Now we could apply a curve to Brown and say he played in an easier NFL in terms of clutching and grabbing, but his numbers are on pace to annihilate Reed's. 

Actually I did point out T.White by name when saying the Bills best talent. Outside of him though ........ 

Congrats Sabres, 4 years in with Eichel and not even a sniff at 8th place in the Eastern Conference. When is he going to score 40 goals by the way? Maybe the real truth is that as good as he is, he is not Connor McDavid, who was the real ace in that Draft. But can't say that. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Here we go again, take more shots at the quality of my life which you know nothing about. 

I haven't been harassed at all. Outside of Buffalo, the Bills and Sabres are irrelevant, they don't come up in conversation. The NHL is a distant 4th in the United States, and the Bills are one of the least covered teams in the NFL. 

But locally, its not just me "taking it out on the fans", radio personalities in Buffalo are beginning to openly speak out the weak mantras coming from OBD and Key Bank Center. 

I think simply that the Bills and Sabres have had long enough. The owners don't speak, there are no results, and there are no standards. The Bills want to out-culture the league, and the Sabres are still looking in the mirror for the answers. 

and this is totally fair.  it's on the orginizations, and not the fans.  be angry at the teams.  feeling this way, what are your options?  to be a fan or not.  i know quite a few people that just got sick of the losing and have moved on.  it's completely understandable, but don't tell me the buffalo sports don't effect your life.  from your posting it's pretty obvious it does.  i get it.  i just grew up and decided it wasn't that important.  if i can't have fun with it, i'm moving on.