Bills fans and why the love of Blue Collar teams?

Jrb1979

16 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Because both Buffalo franchises are historically bad, and because of that, fans of our teams have low sports self esteem.  

Buffalo clings to the Rudy Ruettiger, Vince Papale underdog, hope beyond hope stories because they see it as a reflection of themselves. The Seabiscuits of the NFL and NHL. The Little Engine that Could. Our teams build around Chris Kelsay and buy it when the organization spins guys like Steve Johnson as a cancer. 

The Bills and Sabres have been rebuilding for so long, the Draft is our Super Bowl and so anything that takes away from Draft picks is hated. Because the Draft picks, according to those fans, represent the golden ticket to being good someday.  We trade away anyone that has talent for culture reasons - Marshawn Lynch, Jason Peters, Patrick Kane, Ryan O'Reilly, Marcell Dareus, Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, letting Pat Williams go because he wanted too much money, trying a one-year stunt for Terrell Owens to sell tickets. Talent is always "not worth it" according to Bills fans. The phrase "he doesn't want to be here" gets thrown around all the time.  

Coach after coach, we've hired here has an old mentality - Dick Jauron, Doug Marrone, Dan Bylsma, Phil Housley, Sean McDermott specifically have a "we're going to outwork everyone" mindset. They reinforce the notion that talent is a headache, and that culture is the ticket. 

Our fans are gullible. They believe it. You have fans tripping over themselves on this board to give McDermott and Beane more time. They get free passes for mediocre results. We won't trade for Odell Beckham, we'll watch the Patriots do it and mutter about Brady cheating under our breaths like the losers that we are. 

Chris Brown will do a puff piece about how Josh Allen had one of the best rookie seasons ever, and how taking OTA reps will catapult him in Year 2.  

jesus dude...have a drink.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Agreed with the rest of the country continually taking shots. But Buffalo and the companies here certainly don't help the cause though. People here love to play up the "we're an underdog / hardworking" city as opposed to just existing. It comes through in a lot of advertising, marketing, and communications. 

of course it does, because we wear the badge with honor, so its easy to use in advertising.....   its still a very blue collar town. average wages middle class. 

17 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Because both Buffalo franchises are historically bad, and because of that, fans of our teams have low sports self esteem.  

Buffalo clings to the Rudy Ruettiger, Vince Papale underdog, hope beyond hope stories because they see it as a reflection of themselves. The Seabiscuits of the NFL and NHL. The Little Engine that Could. Our teams build around Chris Kelsay and buy it when the organization spins guys like Steve Johnson as a cancer. 

The Bills and Sabres have been rebuilding for so long, the Draft is our Super Bowl and so anything that takes away from Draft picks is hated. Because the Draft picks, according to those fans, represent the golden ticket to being good someday.  We trade away anyone that has talent for culture reasons - Marshawn Lynch, Jason Peters, Patrick Kane, Ryan O'Reilly, Marcell Dareus, Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, letting Pat Williams go because he wanted too much money, trying a one-year stunt for Terrell Owens to sell tickets. Talent is always "not worth it" according to Bills fans. The phrase "he doesn't want to be here" gets thrown around all the time.  

Coach after coach, we've hired here has an old mentality - Dick Jauron, Doug Marrone, Dan Bylsma, Phil Housley, Sean McDermott specifically have a "we're going to outwork everyone" mindset. They reinforce the notion that talent is a headache, and that culture is the ticket. 

Our fans are gullible. They believe it. You have fans tripping over themselves on this board to give McDermott and Beane more time. They get free passes for mediocre results. We won't trade for Odell Beckham, we'll watch the Patriots do it and mutter about Brady cheating under our breaths like the losers that we are. 

Chris Brown will do a puff piece about how Josh Allen had one of the best rookie seasons ever, and how taking OTA reps will catapult him in Year 2.  

ROTFLMAO...   sounds like someone has some self esteem issues  ^^

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't care if someone is a diva. I do care if they put themselves first rather than the team (the two are not mutually exclusive). AB wants to be famous, he wants people to treat him like he's special and couldn't handle the fact that the Steelers obviously valued his HOF QB more than him. I don't like me-first guys on my team because I don't care for them in real life. Not to mention the fact that he slept with Poyer's fiancé and I would rather have the #1 ranked pass defense left unmolested. If you bring in AB you'd probably have to get rid of Poyer and I don't want to break up the solid chemistry we've built on D. The way to get better as a team is not to create holes as you fill them. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

After reading many threads on here I have come across a lot of Bills fans seem to love a blue collar type team. A lot seem to be against having an Antonio Brown type player cause they don't fit the Buffalo blue collar type. 

Why do you fans love the Blue Collar team?

I would take Brown in a heart beat as long as he is willing to play on his current deal. If he wants a new contract then yes it is a hard pass on trading for him. 

I would not say its universal, but I do agree a sizable amount of the fanbase views toughness grit etc.. as being native to Buffalo and wants to see that from their players. These people work hard for their money usually in blue collar esq jobs or their family comes from that and they have no patience for "me first" type players or players afraid to mix it up and get dirty. Their idea is if your representing Buffalo you better role up your sleeves and be ready to go.

I think if AB was signed a lot of fans would be fine with it, but this segment would be on him the moment he slipped.

2 hours ago, teef said:

i don't think that's the case at all.  i think when it comes to ab, some are wary of his attitude, age and cost...both money and draft picks.  i'd be happy to have him here, but i certainly get why someone wouldn't be.  the blue collar thing is over played.  

I agree with these thoughts.  AB is a highly talented player who also brings some heavily loaded baggage.  Buffalo has had plenty of good players over the years who do not fit the “Blue Collar” mold.  You could even argue that perhaps the greatest Bill of all time, Bruce Smith, was not really blue collar.  He was an exceptionally gifted athlete who at times had his own head case issues.  I love the man to death for what he has accomplished in Buffalo and over the span of his career.  However, if he were available in the “modern era” from another team the questions that came around in his early career relative to work ethic may have caused some teams to pass on him.

Also keep in mind with the salary cap teams must be cautious about commitments to very high dollar employees.  AB has a high price tag.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

ROTFLMAO...   sounds like someone has some self esteem issues  ^^

Look at ddaryl throwing personal insults, around joined by teef.

Another reason I can’t stand our franchises, our fans. The loser mentality is baked into everything they do. 

Someone gives an opinion to the OP and they are chastised because they don’t palm-palm waive and hopelessly defend these franchises. But this is Buffalo, a place where you simply have to be grateful for a team, and not have any standards.

ROTFLMAO!!!!  Our teams have sucked for a combined 108 seasons. 0 championships. It’s so funny, lol, giggles ddaryl.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Another reason I can’t stand our franchises, our fans. The loser mentality is baked into everything they do. 

Someone gives an opinion to the OP and they are chastised because they don’t palm-palm waive and hopelessly defend these franchises. But this is Buffalo, a place where you simply have to be grateful for a team, and not have any standards.

ROTFLMAO!!!!  Our teams have sucked for a combined 108 seasons. 0 championships. It’s so funny, lol, giggles ddaryl.

how is low self esteem a personal insult.. you are the one with the issues of our sports franchises. Teef and I do not.

ROTLMAO I'm laughing quite hysterically . looks like I'm under your skin now.. GOOD

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

I agree with these thoughts.  AB is a highly talented player who also brings some heavily loaded baggage.  Buffalo has had plenty of good players over the years who do not fit the “Blue Collar” mold.  You could even argue that perhaps the greatest Bill of all time, Bruce Smith, was not really blue collar.  He was an exceptionally gifted athlete who at times had his own head case issues.  I love the man to death for what he has accomplished in Buffalo and over the span of his career.  However, if he were available in the “modern era” from another team the questions that came around in his early career relative to work ethic may have caused some teams to pass on him.

completely agree.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

seriously?  your little rant shows nothing but a loser mentality.  buffalo team have obviously gotten to you, and effected your person.  get over it already.  fans don't have a say in what happens.  we just don't.  it's our choice to follow the team or not to.  that's it.  it's not about pom pom waving as you stated.  rather, it's about not being a little B word when things don't go your way.  or is your solution to come to a message board and rant like it's actually going to accomplish something.

get a hobby, get a woman, get a better job, become successful, be a parent, take a walk...i don't care.  just stop being a B word.

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

how is low self esteem a personal insult.. you are the one with the issues of our sports franchises. Teef and I do not.

ROTLMAO I'm laughing quite hysterically . looks like I'm under your skin now.. GOOD

there's some on this board that take this far too seriously.  if the bills bothered me that much, i'd just not watch.  it's that simple.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

You’re not under my skin or teef. 

The OP was right. A segment of Buffalo sports fans have a loser mindset.

They make excuses for mediocre results, tend to highlight average accomplishments as historic and have convinced themselves that talent equals locker room cancer. 

Players like AB and Beckham are dismissed out of hand as character risks, even though AB is better than any Bills WR to put on a uniform and Odell trails only Reed. 

5 minutes ago, teef said:

completely agree.

seriously?  your little rant shows nothing but a loser mentality.  buffalo team have obviously gotten to you, and effected your person.  get over it already.  fans don't have a say in what happens.  we just don't.  it's our choice to follow the team or not to.  that's it.  it's not about pom pom waving as you stated.  rather, it's about not being a little B word when things don't go your way.  or is your solution to come to a message board and rant like it's actually going to accomplish something.

get a hobby, get a woman, get a better job, become successful, be a parent, take a walk...i don't care.  just stop being a B word.

there's some on this board that take this far too seriously.  if the bills bothered me that much, i'd just not watch.  it's that simple.

Again, I’m the one who’s a B word, but it’s you hurling the personal insults.

You know nothing about me, my career, my wife or kids. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You’re not under my skin or teef. 

The OP was right. A segment of Buffalo sports fans have a loser mindset.

They make excuses for mediocre results, tend to highlight average accomplishments as historic and have convinced themselves that talent equals locker room cancer. 

Players like AB and Beckham are dismissed out of hand as character risks, even though AB is better than any Bills WR to put on a uniform and Odell trails only Reed. 

obviously we are under your skin

I don't want AB, or Beckhams. I don't like those kinds of players. I would rather lose then have to stomach these #######s. There are quality starters who are not ***** and who wont throw a QB or team under a bus when things get a little rough. 

as for AB here is a guy with tons of money guaranteed. If he honors that contract I respect him some. He hasn't I do not . DOn;'t want his ass here

so to sum it up. I'm a huge winner in this game because I don't sell my soul for a championship. I disrespect AB and that won't change.

overall I am happy with the current state of the Bills and looking forward to this season. You are not.  Ok... enjoy your wallow

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

-Speculation

-Still speculation

-Even more speculation

-If he maintains his production and helps win games then I don’t care how much money he makes. Obviously one of the biggest issues is what it would take to get him. Regardless, the chances of him ending up in Buffalo are slim.

-Allegedly

Your 3 points each had "arguably, arguably, and sounds like" but im the one speculating? Money is the only aspect I would tolerate , let alone the locker room issue (imaginary locker room issues?) This is the real world not madden

Edited by BillsMafia13