Bills fans and why the love of Blue Collar teams?

Jrb1979

After reading many threads on here I have come across a lot of Bills fans seem to love a blue collar type team. A lot seem to be against having an Antonio Brown type player cause they don't fit the Buffalo blue collar type. 

Why do you fans love the Blue Collar team?

i don't think that's the case at all.  i think when it comes to ab, some are wary of his attitude, age and cost...both money and draft picks.  i'd be happy to have him here, but i certainly get why someone wouldn't be.  the blue collar thing is over played.  

To me, these are separate conversations/unrelated.

I think that, yes, Buffalo loves "blue-collar" teams filled with players like Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, etc., because they see themselves and the broader community "in" those players. They're not braggadocious, flashy, or prima donnas. They're just hard workers who go to work and do their job. 

I think people don't want AB on this team mainly for the reasons Flip Johnson mentioned  above (30+, big contract, would probably be unhappy here), as well as teef (the capital it would take to acquire him, him not fitting in with McDermott's team-first type of player, etc).

Edited by junior12thman92
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

To me, these are separate conversations/unrelated.

I think that, yes, Buffalo loves "blue-collar" teams filled with players like Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, etc., because they see themselves and the broader community "in" those players. They're not braggadocious, flashy, or prima donnas. They're just hard workers who go to work and do their job. 

I think people don't want AB on this team mainly for the reasons Flip Johnson mentioned  above (30+, big contract, would probably be unhappy here), as well as teef (the capital it would take to acquire him, him not fitting in with McDermott's team-first type of player, etc).

i'm going to piggy back of junior's response.  if blue collar means guys who want to be leaders, work hard and leave the bull#### home...sure, they are looking for blue collar guys.  all  teams are looking for guys like that.  can you have an entire squad with all blue collar guys?  probably not, but i think this staff is willing to take chances.  

16 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

The issue with AB - for starters.

- He is 30.

- He has a big contract.

- He has a HOF QB throwing him the ball and is the focal point of one of the best five offenses in the league. And yet he is unhappy. Why would he be happy in Buffalo?

-He’s arguably the best WR in the game. Allen could use that.

-He’s arguable the best WR in the game.

-Sounds like his relationship with said QB is toxic and that’s why he’s unhappy there.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't think that's the case at all.  i think when it comes to ab, some are wary of his attitude, age and cost...both money and draft picks.  i'd be happy to have him here, but i certainly get why someone wouldn't be.  the blue collar thing is over played.  

Exactly!  I left in 1970, and most of the industry and plants are now long gone!  Blue Collar is a label that does not fit anymore.

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

-He’s arguably the best WR in the game. Allen could use that.

-He’s arguable the best WR in the game.

-Sounds like his relationship with said QB is toxic and that’s why he’s unhappy there.

-He would not even be close to the best WR in the league where, how much pressure is taken off him with a good Oline, JuJu and a good qb.

-See above

- Guarantee he would not come to Buffalo, win 6 games with 90 receptions and walk out smiling every game.

-XX million dollars/whatever we would have to trade for him

- He smashed Poyers CURRENT wife.  If anyone things a locker room can function with this you're delusional.  AB should not be discussed on this board anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Exactly!  I left in 1970, and most of the industry and plants are now long gone!  Blue Collar is a label that does not fit anymore.

Agreed, but it's hard to break/change a psyche of a community. It's certainly not white collar here, so people stick with what they know. 

35 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

After reading many threads on here I have come across a lot of Bills fans seem to love a blue collar type team. A lot seem to be against having an Antonio Brown type player cause they don't fit the Buffalo blue collar type. 

why because the wealthy large market teams can suck our balls.

and I hate divas and would puke if we wasted our rebuild with an AB signing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

it is a bit of a left over narrative.  i think some people look at getting rid of guys like watkins and dareus as not liking the "star" type player, and only preferring guys who know their place.  i don't think this is the case at all, and more had to do with money being payed or may be paid vs production.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, junior12thman92 said:

Agreed, but it's hard to break/change a psyche of a community. It's certainly not white collar here, so people stick with what they know. 

It has a lot more to do with the nation and large market cities pissing on Buffalo any chance they get

Gets old, and none of us want ot be associated with big ***** of the "non Blue Collars" cities

9 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

-He would not even be close to the best WR in the league where, how much pressure is taken off him with a good Oline, JuJu and a good qb.

-See above

- Guarantee he would not come to Buffalo, win 6 games with 90 receptions and walk out smiling every game.

-XX million dollars/whatever we would have to trade for him

- He smashed Poyers CURRENT wife.  If anyone things a locker room can function with this you're delusional.  AB should not be discussed on this board anymore. 

-Speculation

-Still speculation

-Even more speculation

-If he maintains his production and helps win games then I don’t care how much money he makes. Obviously one of the biggest issues is what it would take to get him. Regardless, the chances of him ending up in Buffalo are slim.

-Allegedly

For some reason being a "blue-collar type player"  is desirable in the NFL. I don't know what the bias is against "white -collar type players".  But be that as it may, it appears every player and team wants to be associated with having a " blue-collar" lunch bucket personality. Go figure.

13 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

It has a lot more to do with the nation and large market cities pissing on Buffalo any chance they get

Gets old, and none of us want ot be associated with big ***** of the "non Blue Collars" cities

Agreed with the rest of the country continually taking shots. But Buffalo and the companies here certainly don't help the cause though. People here love to play up the "we're an underdog / hardworking" city as opposed to just existing. It comes through in a lot of advertising, marketing, and communications. 

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Because both Buffalo franchises are historically bad, and because of that, fans of our teams have low sports self esteem.  

Buffalo clings to the Rudy Ruettiger, Vince Papale underdog, hope beyond hope stories because they see it as a reflection of themselves. The Seabiscuits of the NFL and NHL. The Little Engine that Could. Our teams build around Chris Kelsay and buy it when the organization spins guys like Steve Johnson as a cancer. 

The Bills and Sabres have been rebuilding for so long, the Draft is our Super Bowl and so anything that takes away from Draft picks is hated. Because the Draft picks, according to those fans, represent the golden ticket to being good someday.  We trade away anyone that has talent for culture reasons - Marshawn Lynch, Jason Peters, Patrick Kane, Ryan O'Reilly, Marcell Dareus, Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, letting Pat Williams go because he wanted too much money, trying a one-year stunt for Terrell Owens to sell tickets. Talent is always "not worth it" according to Bills fans. The phrase "he doesn't want to be here" gets thrown around all the time.  

Coach after coach, we've hired here has an old mentality - Dick Jauron, Doug Marrone, Dan Bylsma, Phil Housley, Sean McDermott specifically have a "we're going to outwork everyone" mindset. They reinforce the notion that talent is a headache, and that culture is the ticket. 

Our fans are gullible. They believe it. You have fans tripping over themselves on this board to give McDermott and Beane more time. They get free passes for mediocre results. We won't trade for Odell Beckham, we'll watch the Patriots do it and mutter about Brady cheating under our breaths like the losers that we are. 

Chris Brown will do a puff piece about how Josh Allen had one of the best rookie seasons ever, and how taking OTA reps will catapult him in Year 2.  

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

For some reason being a "blue-collar type player"  is desirable in the NFL. I don't know what the bias is against "white -collar type players".  But be that as it may, it appears every player and team wants to be associated with having a " blue-collar" lunch bucket personality. Go figure.

idk, I'm not too keen on a football team composed of financial analysts, lawyers, insurance adjusters or health care administrators.

• Haha (+1) 2