Top 50 Free Agents of 2019 as per The Athletic

blacklabel

Top 50 Free Agents as per The Athletic

Age is in parenthesis.

1. Demarcus Lawrence (27), DE, Dallas Cowboys
25 sacks over the past two seasons. Dallas used the franchise tag on him last season, could use it a second time but likely want to work out a long-term extension.

2. Jadeveon Clowney (26), DL, Houston Texans
Became a versatile player that Houston moved around a lot last season. 18.5 sacks and 21 tackles for loss over the past two seasons. Injury history early in career but has only missed one game over the past two seasons. Might get the franchise tag.

3. Frank Clark (26), DE, Seattle Seahawks
Has racked up 32 sacks since 2016, hasn't missed a game over the past two years. Had a lot of red flags off the field upon entering the league but has been consistent since then. Franchise tag candidate.

4. Nick Foles (30), QB, Philadelphia Eagles
Hasn't started more than 11 games in any season but has put together tremendous stretches of play and was instrumental in helping Philly win a Super Bowl.

5. Dee Ford (28), DE, Kansas City Chiefs
Finished with 13.5 sacks last season, good for 7th in the league. Back injury in 2017 limited him to only six games but he didn't miss any time last season. Also led the league in 2018 with seven forced fumbles.

6. Trey Flowers (26), DL, New England Patriots
Versatile player that may not always rack up huge numbers but has been productive. 14 sacks and 119 tackles over the last two seasons.

7. Earl Thomas (30), FS, Seattle Seahawks
Age and durability are a concern as he's missed 19 games over the past three seasons. When he's healthy he's one of the best safeties in the game.

8. Grady Jarrett (26), DT, Atlanta Falcons
Consistent three-down player that's only missed three games in four seasons. Should be entering his prime with his arrow pointing up.

9. Le'Veon Bell (27), RB, Pittsburgh Steelers
Sat out all of 2018 after racking up 742 touches in 2016 and 2017. Dynamic player but attitude is concerning.

10. Landon Collins (25), SS, New York Giants
Had a breakout season in 2016 but hasn't been able to match that. Versatile player that can play in the box or deep. Finished 2018 on IR with a shoulder injury.

11. Donovan Smith (26), OT, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Has never missed a  game in his four-year career, totaling 64 career starts. Upside may be limited, gave up 5.5 sacks last season. Could be a franchise tag candidate for the Bucs.

12. Trent Brown (26), OT, New England Patriots
44 career starts at left tackle, allowed 3.5 sacks last season.

13. C.J. Mosley (27), LB, Baltimore Ravens
Consistent player but hasn't made a lot of flashy plays (one INT, zero forced fumbles, half a sack and six tackles for loss in 2018). Has started 77 out of 80 games in his career. 

14. Adrian Amos (26), S, Chicago Bears
Great instincts and strong coverage skills. Might be one of the more underrated free agents this season.

15. Tyrell Williams (27), WR, Los Angeles Chargers
Size and speed outside receiver, viable downfield threat having averaged 15.9 yards per catch in the last three seasons. Has 42 receptions for 20-plus yards (12th in the league) and 13 catches for 40-plus yards (tied for 5th) over that same three-year span. Likely to receive a deal that outweighs his production due to a thin crop of free agent receivers this year.

16. Ezekiel Ansah (30), DE, Detroit Lions
16 sacks over the last two seasons but played in only two games in 2018 as shoulder injury put him on IR.

17. Ndamukong Suh (32), DT, Los Angeles Rams
Past his prime but still a viable player on the DL. Very durable, missing only two games in his nine-year career.

18. Rodger Saffold (31), OG, Los Angeles Rams
Top interior OL on the market, should be paricularly attractive to teams looking to improve their run game. Also solid in pass protection, allowing only two sacks over the last two years. Would provide a veteran presence on a young, inexperienced OL.

19. Teddy Bridgewater (26), QB, New Orleans Saints
Obviously the knee injury will concern teams but he's still only 26 and showed in limited action last season that he's able to move around the pocket and avoid pressure. May have a chance to be a "stop gap" starter somewhere.

20. Lamarcus Joyner (28), FS, Los Angeles Rams
Versatile safety with solid tackling skills. Was franchised last season but likely to get a crack on the open market this year.

21. Brandon Graham (31), DE, Philadelphia Eagles
Well-rounded player that has had 25 tackles for loss over the past three seasons. Has had 6.5 sacks or fewer in all but one year out of his nine-year career. May be headed towards a rotational role at this stage of his career.

22. Za'Darius Smith (27), OLB/DL, Baltimore Ravens
Versatile player that Baltimore lined up at OLB, edge and interior DL. Finished with 8.5 sacks in 2018. Best suited for a 3-4 defense.

23. Dante Fowler (25), DE, Los Angeles Rams
Hasn't lived up to the hype after being drafted third overall by Jacksonville in 2015 but has shown flashes. Any team interested in him is taking a gamble on his upside and potential.

24. Preston Smith (26), OLB/DE, Washington Redskins
Never missed a game in four years, doesn't have the huge numbers but shows consistency as he produces a pressure/sack/QB hit on 6.9% of his pass rush attempts (that percentage is better than guys like Fowler and Graham). Probably best suited for a 3-4 defense.

25. Golden Tate (31), WR, Philadelphia Eagles
Saw his production drop dramatically after being traded from Detroit last season, averaging only 9.2 yards per catch and 34.2 yards a game. Can be very productive from the slot as he's shown before and has elite hands.

26. Tyrann Mathieu (27), DB, Houston Texans
Hybrid safety that can roam deep and also drop down and play nickel. His ability to play several spots may be inticing to a defensive coordinator that knows how to maximize his skill set.

27. Anthony Barr (27), LB, Minnesota Vikings
Upon entering the league many viewed him as a 3-4 LB but has played in a 4-3 during his time in Minnesota. Elite athlete with solid blitzing ability but over the past two seasons hasn't made many splash plays, unless you count his imitation of a human hurdle for Josh Allen.

28. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (26), FS, Washington Redskins
Young, durable player having never missed a game in his career. Inconsistent after being traded from Green Bay but could benefit from a fresh start elsewhere.

29. Kwon Alexander (25), LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Three-down lineback with sideline-to-sideline ability, but duarbility is a concern. Missed 18 games in his four-year career and will be coming off a torn ACL suffered in 2018. Productive when healthy.

30. John Brown (29), WR, Baltimore Ravens
Speedy deep-threat receiver with the ability to beat defenses over the top. His production dropped midway through last season after Baltimore handed the keys to Lamar Jackson and became a run-heavy team. He may be inclined to sign with a team that employs a downfield vertical passing attack.

31. Daryl Williams (27), OT, Carolina Panthers
Second-team All Pro in 2017 and has allowed only 5.5 sacks in 29 career starts. Finished last season on IR after playing only one game so health will be a concern for interested teams.

32. Ronald Darby (25), CB, Philadelphia Eagles
Elite athlete with strong coverage skills but struggles to find the ball and isn't a great tackler. Has missed 15 games over the past two seasons and will be rehabbing a torn ACL this off-season.

33. Bradley Roby (27), CB, Denver Broncos
Former first-round pick who didn't become a full-time starter until last season. Durable player who has only missed one game in his career. Interested teams will be taking a risk on his potential as he hasn't had the most productive career.

34. K.J. Wright (30), LB, Seattle Seahawks
Size, versatility and instincts are his positive traits. Missed 11 games last season but prior to that he started 53 out of 54 games.

35. Steven Nelson (26), CB, Kansas City Chiefs
Aggressive corner with solid ball skills (15 passes defensed and four INTs in 2018) but can get beat on double moves and was third in the league last season with 121 penalty yards.

36. Matt Paradis (29), C, Denver Broncos
Suffered a season-ending injury in 2018 but before that he didn't miss a start between 2015 and 2017. Given the sizeable deals doled out to centers last year (Ryan Jensen at $10.5 million a year, Weston Richburg at $9.5) Paradis could cash in with a team in need of veteran leadership on the OL.

37. Ja'Wuan James (27), OT, Miami Dolphins
Competent right tackle but injuries have been a concern (missed 18 games in his four-year career) and struggled last season, giving up five sacks in 15 starts.

38. Sheldon Richardson (28), DT, Minnesota Vikings
Not as disruptive as he's been in the past, totaling only 5.5 sacks and nine tackles for loss in the last two seasons. Could be headed to his fourth different team in as many seasons.

39. Jared Cook (32), TE, Oakland Raiders
Had a breakout season in 2018, catching 68 passes for 896 yards and six touchdowns. Age could make teams hesitant but durability isn't a concern as he has appeared in all 16 games in five of the last six seasons.

40. Tre Boston (27), FS, Arizona Cardinals
Starting caliber safety with eight interceptions over the last two years.

41. Mitch Morse (27), C, Kansas City Chiefs
Day one starter with KC since entering the league but has missed 14 games over the past two seasons. When he's on the field he's very good, having surrendered zero sacks in the last three seasons.

42. Adam Humphries (26), WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Very productive slot receiver with only Tyreek Hill, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Tyler Boyd, and Adam Thielen ahead of him in receiving yards from the slot last season. Effective route-runner and moves the chains, having caught 42 passes last season that resulted in first downs.

43. Tevin Coleman (26), RB, Atlanta Falcons
Bit of a polarizing player having averaged 4.8 yards per carry (at least 100 carries) last season. Had 25 runs of at least ten yards, tied for 14th in the league (among 47 ranked RBs). However, he was stuffed or dropped for a loss on 18.6% of his carries last year which was worst in the league. Can be effective catching passes out of the backfield with 90 receptions at 11.0 YPC over the last three years.

44. Shaquil Barrett (26), OLB/DE, Denver Broncos
Young player with upside who's had only limited opportunities.

45. Cameron Wake (37), DE, Miami Dolphins
98 career sacks but deal with a knee injury that slowed his production last season. Age is a factor but a team may be interested in having him in a rotational role and providing veteran leadership.

46. Terrell Suggs (36), OLB/DE, Baltimore Ravens
Like Wake, he's in the twilight of his career but has still shown he can be productive. A contender could bring him in on a one-year deal and cut him loose after the QB on third downs.

47. Mark Ingram (29), RB, New Orleans Saints
Age will be a factor in the type of offers he receives. 5.09 yards per carry last season where he split time with Alvin Kamara. His role out of the backfield diminished due to Kamara being the more dangerous receiving threat.

48. Jordan Hicks (27), LB, Philadelphia Eagles
His career got off to a solid start (seven INTs in his first two seasons) but injuries have slowed him down since then. Solid when he's on the field but he misses a lot of time.

49. Kareem Jackson (31), CB, Houston Texans
Veteran corner that has started all 124 games in his career.

50. Bryce Callahan (27), CB, Chicago Bears
Viable slot-corner with some durability concerns, having missed seven games over the last two seasons.

There you have it. The blurbs are a summary of what's in the article.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'd like to see flowers, but realistically maybe Graham or Fowler.  Need to add a pass rusher to rotate with the 3 we have.  

Trent Brown would be nice as we could move Dawkins where he's needed.  Paradis or Morse would be cool - but i think there's a lot of teams looking at veteran centers.  We do need to bring in a few linemen though. 

Not super into the TEs as Cook's the best one and he'll be 32 by the time the season starts.  Would prefer seeing us grab a receiver so we're not forced to overdraft one.

I would like to see BPA in the draft and go after a premier tackle we could use at 3 tech.

Shocked at some of the negative stats next to Tevin Coleman. I wonder how much he signs for and where. 

There are some interesting OL under 30 on that list. Any addition could free up the draft for a true BPA.

Edited by qwksilver

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Salivating reading that list.

Being practical... give me these 4 and I'd be happy:

12. Trent Brown (26), OT, New England Patriots

32. Ronald Darby (25), CB, Philadelphia Eagles

36. Matt Paradis (29), C, Denver Broncos

39. Jared Cook (32), TE, Oakland Raiders

Don’t want Trent Brown.  Brady always makes his O line look much better than they are.  Don’t see Darby being a target for Bills.  This regime traded him away

• Like (+1) 4

I say fix the Trenches in FA and go after the skill position player in the draft. It won’t be a flashy way to spend that money but I’d rather have veterans in front of josh. Olineman are not being developed properly at the college level. Buy the lineman, draft the skill players.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I say fix the Trenches in FA and go after the skill position player in the draft. It won’t be a flashy way to spend that money but I’d rather have veterans in front of josh. Olineman are not being developed properly at the college level. Buy the lineman, draft the skill players.

We SEEM to have trouble landing FA skill players, so this proposition makes perfect sense.

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

What kind of dollar range is John Brown expected to get? 

The Bill's offered him a 3 year deal last offseason that O belov was in the $7M per yr range.  He turned our offer down to sign a 1 year, $5 M prove it deal with the Ravens.  Strange, he either really didnt like Buffalo or was concerned about the QB situation.  

Allen may have been better than many expected but the passing #s were still atrocious.  Not sure he'd have interest signing here, when we already were the high bidders last year and he said no.  The third team that showed interest in him last offseason was the Raiders.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mitch Morse is not even on this list and the fella from TB is listed as the top FA OLman.

I believe Brown from NE should be a bigtime target for the Bills. Just wondering if we're getting caught up with certain players and ignoring others. Perhaps those in the know here understand Donavon Smith's contract situation better than I do or perhaps this list is junk.

Interesting read nonetheless.

Also noteworthy the number of DE's high on this list. If we could land any one of those pass rushers, we could turn our attention ENTIRELY to offense IMO. If we were to add a premier pass rusher, I think Phillips is adequate at 3T DT.

Edited by BillsSB2020

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

Don’t want Trent Brown.  Brady always makes his O line look much better than they are.  Don’t see Darby being a target for Bills.  This regime traded him away

I fully agree on both fronts. 

Trent Brown is a absolute monster in size but I don’t think he performs half as good outside of New England. Easy to be an elite tackle for one season when the ball comes out in 3 seconds or less almost every play. 

Same for Darby, been injured and probably has to sign a one year prove it deal I highly doubt he wants to come back to the team that traded him away cause he doesn’t “fit” the system they are still running. Darby will probably have a ton of teams to choose from. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Shocked at some of the negative stats next to Tevin Coleman. I wonder how much he signs for and where. 

There are some interesting OL under 30 on that list. Any addition could free up the draft for a true BPA.

I don't think Tevin Coleman is explosive enough for his niche. Just my opinion based on watching him play. A small back needs to be more explosive. I hope the Bills steer clear.

40 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Mitch Morse is not even on this list and the fella from TB is listed as the top FA OLman.

I believe Brown from NE should be a bigtime target for the Bills. Just wondering if we're getting caught up with certain players and ignoring others. Perhaps those in the know here understand Donavon Smith's contract situation better than I do or perhaps this list is junk.

Interesting read nonetheless.

Also noteworthy the number of DE's high on this list. If we could land any one of those pass rushers, we could turn our attention ENTIRELY to offense IMO. If we were to add a premier pass rusher, I think Phillips is adequate at 3T DT.

Mitch is on the list 

• Like (+1) 1