AAF needed $250m emergency investment to make payroll

Alphadawg7

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If I was the XFL I would just fold now and save the money.  McMahon and his ego will never do that, but this is a terrible move to launch next year after the AAF has gotten a season under their belt.  Their ONLY shot was to get out before AAF and put out a great product when they did.  Instead, AAF has launched first with both a great product so far, but also the support of the NFL.  The XFL has been playing the heel role against the NFL, and betting on this notion that enough people are tired of the NFL that it will work which is a stupid approach and will certainly fail.  

The NFL is massive, and for all the pissing and moaning about it, the ratings keep going up and its NEVER going away in our life time.  To take them on head on is a losing battle, and the AAF was smart and built itself with a strong tie to the NFL.  This gives it the best chance at success, and the XFL now is going to have even lesser players than the AAF degrading the football even more.  

RIP XFL...again.

Yeah Vince McMahon is a great marketer/promoter however the type of football he puts on the field didn’t match the hype in 2001 and I don’t really see any reason it will be different this time around. The league’s down fall was the product. The games felt like NFL preseason games. They may bring some innovative ideas but that is not going to make the league viable in the long term.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Another headline grabbing wild exaggeration.  *8 teams, 52 players, $250k piece over THREE YEARS,  that is $104 million and they needed $250 million over a few days?. Even double the number for coaches, AAF personnel, refs,etc, $250 mil in emergency cash infusion laughable exaggeration.

He bought ownership into the league with that $250M.  Its not the amount used to pay for payroll.  Its a cash infusion.  Potentially missing payroll may have prompted the search for additional funding, but it has nothing to do with what that figure of $250M represents.  Its just the number they negotiated for whatever % ownership in the league he gets.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mark80 said:

He bought ownership into the league with that $250M.  Its not the amount used to pay for payroll.  Its a cash infusion.  Potentially missing payroll may have prompted the search for additional funding, but it has nothing to do with what that figure of $250M represents.  Its just the number they negotiated for whatever % ownership in the league he gets.

Well this makes 100% sense.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow, the AAF has had a successful launch, yet they just faced a major financial crisis that needed a $250 million dollar investment to just make payroll. I do think this league will be successful, but just goes to show just how immense it is to both start a new league and then operate it.  Another reason why I think XFL will fail after one season again.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821459-report-aaf-needed-250-million-emergency-investment-to-be-able-to-make-payroll

...laughable and makes no sense.....how the hell could you write a minimum 3 year business plan along with pro formas and be under financed after week 2?...only Congress could do THAT.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

And can you call a coordinator a super bowl champion? Because that’s what Martz was.

Martz was the first of 3 head coaches to completely poop the bed against the Brady Pats for SB losses.

Not sure if Andy Reid could be a 4th, he always mismanages the last 2 minutes of each half when its close....

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Shocking, another minor league football league is going to fail. Wash, Rinse, Repeat

They had about as strong a start as one could reasonably expect. If they are in trouble after two weeks, what does that say about their business plan?

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...laughable and makes no sense.....how the hell could you write a minimum 3 year business plan along with pro formas and be under financed after week 2?...only Congress could do THAT.....

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They had about as strong a start as one could reasonably expect. If they are in trouble after two weeks, what does that say about their business plan?

It says it’s about as bad as the dozen or so other leagues that folded almost immediately. I have set the o/u at 1 year. That’s how these things go. Last week they couldn’t wait to boast about their ratings. It is pretty convenient that they haven’t released anything from week 2. This is pretty much the exact same thing that happened with the XFL. It will inevitably crash and burn.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

The two afternoon games this weekend will take a TV viewing hit....first weekend of Spring Training  MLB begins.Most weekend games are televised on their local market sports channels.

PLAY BALL

Spring Training? Get real. Nobody watches that.

I'm a big baseball fan, but it's much better enjoyed in person, rather than watching on TV.

Baseball postseason? Sure. Anything else, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. *fart noise inserted here*

10 minutes ago, Plano said:

Spring Training? Get real. Nobody watches that.

I'm a big baseball fan, but it's much better enjoyed in person, rather than watching on TV.

Baseball postseason? Sure. Anything else, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. *fart noise inserted here*

there's about 100 in each city that pay extremely close attention to their team, even if the team sucks

Committing 250 mil to ensure the league survives is different then the league actually needing that entire 250 mil.  The bills loaned the raiders all that money early on.  Some people have never had a business run into cash crunch time...it’s not fun.  I’ve had it a couple of times. 

• Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If I was the XFL I would just fold now and save the money.  McMahon and his ego will never do that, but this is a terrible move to launch next year after the AAF has gotten a season under their belt.  Their ONLY shot was to get out before AAF and put out a great product when they did.  Instead, AAF has launched first with both a great product so far, but also the support of the NFL.  The XFL has been playing the heel role against the NFL, and betting on this notion that enough people are tired of the NFL that it will work which is a stupid approach and will certainly fail.  

The NFL is massive, and for all the pissing and moaning about it, the ratings keep going up and its NEVER going away in our life time.  To take them on head on is a losing battle, and the AAF was smart and built itself with a strong tie to the NFL.  This gives it the best chance at success, and the XFL now is going to have even lesser players than the AAF degrading the football even more.  

RIP XFL...again.

XFL needs to become an alternative to college where 18-23 year olds get paid for playing football.  That could be hugely successful if done right.

12 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

XFL needs to become an alternative to college where 18-23 year olds get paid for playing football.  That could be hugely successful if done right.

is there that much interest out there to make it profitable?

2 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Thats interesting, although I am not sure they are going that route, but also I have not been following it as closely this second time around.  

In other words, instead of trying to go up against the NFL they go against College...hmmm.  Although I would expect the NFL would side with College football and make this direction also a very difficult coup to pull off with the XFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Another headline grabbing wild exaggeration.  *8 teams, 52 players, $250k piece over THREE YEARS,  that is $104 million and they needed $250 million over a few days?. Even double the number for coaches, AAF personnel, refs,etc, $250 mil in emergency cash infusion laughable exaggeration.

I was gonna say....if they have a $250m payroll to meet, I don't think one emergency infusion is going to do it!

• Like (+1) 1