Fascinating Read - How Ref Tim Donaghy fixed NBA games

ChevyVanMiller

I'm gonna read that article later tonight.  But I recall reading about this story years ago.  One takeaway was Donaghy and whomever he was reffing with would make a bet, first one to call a foul would buy the after game pizzas.  One game no foul was called for something like 8 minutes.  Players were getting hammered, and looking at the ref with a look like "what the ***** do I need to do to get a call" :lol:

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Could easily see that in NFL especially since certain zebras appear to have P*ts colors.

the just give it them game was fixed IMO

Sad story all around. This guy was married with young kids. Lived outside of Sarasota, FL and I remember going by his very nice house and seeing the kids toys in the driveway after he was caught. I hate this for everyone involved. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

i don't believe the winnings were that large, this can't be quantified

the population that takes the NBA point spread seriously is too small to allow a portion of it to makes hand-over-fist millions, it's a perfect market of information

it's the lowest end of "fixing" a game to play with the point spread in an NBA game, most teams are too tired to bother on the road and these days 3 of the 10 starters are going to take the game off at the last second because they are just too tired to play tonight

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

I always thought basketball players could fix a game the easiest.  Every point spread at the end of the game goes down to free throws.  It would be so easy to miss free throw or two on purpose at the end of games

the NBA has the problem that teams are quite often not bothering to show up to play "in good faith" during the regular season, way more than the other pro sports combined

the only time in the regular season you can be certain they will honestly try is on Christmas Day, they are probably warned of massive fines by the Commish if they dog one of these games away