Do kids play outside where you live?

Another Fan

14 hours ago, Augie said:

My mother had a giant cowbell and would ring it at the front door when dinner was ready. It was LOUD! You could hear that thing all over the county! 

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Mine did too!

I think your mothers go to football games together.

the traffic is now so insanely fast in front of my childhood home in West Seneca if I was a parent in our neighborhood today I'd be terrified of it.  

there's a little boy next door maybe 7 years old we see so rarely he reminds me of a young Boo Radley character from Mockingbird. 

Edited by coloradobillsfan

You know who does not play outside in neighborhoods anymore?? dogs 

My neighborhood in the 70's, people, including us, just let their dogs out to roam all day as long as they were friendly. Always seemed to be two or three dogs about while we were  either playing football, or street hockey etc. Our perfect idea was to train one to chase and retrieve the ball when it went wide and down the street...but that never happened.

Miss random dogs just coming up  and making friends or just walking about

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My neighborhood in the 70's, people, including us, just let their dogs out to roam all day as long as they were friendly. Always seemed to be two or three dogs about while we were  either playing football, or street hockey etc. Our perfect idea was to train one to chase and retrieve the ball when it went wide and down the street...but that never happened.

Good call.  When I was a kid (late 70s), there was a neighborhood dog named Barney.  St. Bernard.  Everyone loved Barney.

We have a neighborhood cat, these days.  Her name is Frankie.  Moody little ho.  She and my dog are the two longest-tenured pets in the neighborhood.

• Like (+1) 1

My kids love to play outside, but a parent is typically outside with them. They stay in the backyard or by the garage on the driveway, the road out front is too busy. 

The problem today isnt that most kids dont want to play outside, they just cant be as free as they were 30 years ago.

Playing fields are empty during the day because the kids are all in another program or sport during the day and play or use those fields at night or weekends with their team/league. It's not uncommon today to have kids in 3-4 different sports or activities to take up their time. Then throw in that during the day theres a good chance the younger ones are in a daycare type setting cause both parents have to work and it can explain why they arent all over the neighborhood streets.

Also today, public pools are being closed because backyard pools are becoming more and more common, if you dont have one chances are a couple of friends do and the kids end up there. Kids backyard toys are also getting better then most of the ones at a local park so they stay in the backyard. Municipalities love this cause they can provide an open space for walks and call them parks, and dont have to worry about the liability of playground equipment and kids getting hurt. You can now buy inflatable climbers and bounce castles for your backyards for kids. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

in my neighborhood  (a square block) 10 of my 12 neighbors have fences.    

Half of them to contain their dogs. 

My border collie roamed free.  He was friendly, but he'd bark and half jump up on a kid to play ..

that scared 3/4 of the helicopter moms

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just a few hours ago I saw a dog going down a sidewalk in the rain and it struck me as being very odd. You never see that anymore! And when they pooped the pooped, and nobody was standing behind them to pick it up! 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Just a few hours ago I saw a dog going down a sidewalk in the rain and it struck me as being very odd. You never see that anymore! And when they pooped the pooped, and nobody was standing behind them to pick it up! 

Neighborhood dogs were the best. Trying telling a 35 something or under dogs ran free in the neighborhood , everyone knew them, no one cared they would explore their yards and maybe make a depoosit.? and they think you are telling a fib just to see if they would believe such nonsense. 

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Neighborhood dogs were the best. Trying telling a 35 something or under dogs ran free in the neighborhood , everyone knew them, no one cared they would explore their yards and maybe make a depoosit.? and they think you are telling a fib just to see if they would believe such nonsense. 

Just one of the hazards of playing backyard football before everything had to be on a team in a league with a uniform and a scoreboard.  

When I was back last fall I went to Hamburg to see the houses from ,my early years. As I drove around I went past a DQ I remembered and a house nearby where I got totally schmeared in dog poop playing football. I remember it was a long ride home....a VERY LONG ride for a 2-3rd grader! I can’t believe I was allowed to make that trip on my bike! That wouldn’t happen these days. 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, The Jerk said:

There's a backroad that leads to my apartment. Kids play on it in front of their houses but that's it. There's a park a block up that's infested with hookers and such.

Those kids will find the park soon enough.......when they can afford the hookers and such. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Just one of the hazards of playing backyard football before everything had to be on a team in a league with a uniform and a scoreboard.  

Like I mentioned no fence for the dog and I’d let a few days go by before I patrolled the yard for ?.  

If the neighbors kids ran into the yard they had to dodge land mines