College lacrosse player not allowed to play - his head is too big

\GoBillsInDallas/

18 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Maybe fathead shouldnt have such a fat head. TBH I dont really believe these stories, unless this was a school for the poors it isnt hard to find a helmet big enough.

Almost any manufacturer can make a larger helmet, problem is your looking at a special order custom item that isnt going to be cheap. So he would have to sit out until a manufacturer can make one, if they are willing to pay for it. But usually a story like this leads to someone making one for him for nothing to look good and get good Publicity.

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Almost any manufacturer can make a larger helmet, problem is your looking at a special order custom item that isnt going to be cheap. So he would have to sit out until a manufacturer can make one, if they are willing to pay for it. But usually a story like this leads to someone making one for him for nothing to look good and get good Publicity.

Like a shoe store, most schools will have the most common sizes for helmets. They had a very difficult time fing a helmet for my son in HS football. “That head of yours is deceptively large!” He was about 5” and 100 lbs smaller than his OLine, but had the bigger head. I can see where some small schools might struggle with unusual sizes, but there IS such a thing. 

After 40 hours of labor, and right before the C-section, my wife said (screamed?) that head size should have been on the criteria list in the search for a spouse. We are the people wearing the different color helmets in the white water rafting photos. They have to go to the freak shelf to find some that fit us. 

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just ask his Highschool for it...

While I agree the story seems something of a publicity stunt, it can be a pain growing up with a large head.  I took after my mother’s side of the family where most males had big heads.

Could never find a cap to fit me in little league.  I had the biggest head in middle school where my graduation cap kept falling off my head.  Was told frequently my head was too big for my body and nicknamed World.  

Funny story: My cousin married a Jewish girl a few years back.  Out of respect at the ceremony we were supposed to wear Yamakas.  I tried putting it on but it kept falling off.  To which my mother replied: Dan you definitely don’t make a good Jew.  

My other cousin might have had it the worst.  Another mother one time went up to his Mom and asked if her son had brain cancer.  ?

This one hits close to home.  My 13 yr old has to wear an adult XL lacrosse helmet.  Warriors dont fit him anymore.  Because lacrosse is more of a niche sport, there’s no incentive to make a broad range of helmets.  It’s ridiculous that NCAA won’t allow players to wear hockey or box helmets.   I think the head takes far more abuse in hockey. 

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I’m an 8 1/8 hat size and it’s no fun

I don't know what my hat size is, but when I find a tennis hat that fits well enough to stay on comfortably during play, I buy a half dozen or so. They are hard to find and they get nasty pretty fast. 

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

I’m an 8 1/8 hat size and it’s no fun

Ok, that is big, I'm 7-3/4 in the fitted New Era Hats, and sometimes they can fee a little snug or leave a red mark.

One good thing about the larger or smaller sizes, typically when they have a clearance sale, those are the only sizes they have left in the hats

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I don't know what my hat size is, but when I find a tennis hat that fits well enough to stay on comfortably during play, I buy a half dozen or so. They are hard to find and they get nasty pretty fast. 

If there are hundreds of fit baseball caps in a store, there should be an 8. Going higher is a lot to ask for

if you know someone who takes great pride in hats not fitting them, they are probably just under an 8

• Sad 1

in the early 70s my uncle found a dire need for a pair of size 21 basketball shoes as a 6'11" sophomore transferred over the week before school started, this wasn't easily procured

kid had a few cups of coffee in the NBA eventually