Marquise Brown LisFranc surgery

YoloinOhio

To me, this completely changes the outlook on Brown. 

We're talking about an undersized guy whose ONLY real calling card is his speed and quickness.

Factoring in a LisFranc injury? Yikes.

Whereas I have had him on my short list of players that I'd like to see the Bills draft, I now think they should steer clear of him. These types of injuries can linger and re-occur for years. 

• Like (+1) 1

This injury is no joke.  Some skilled position players were never the same in their careers after suffering from this.

Tough for a young kid.  Hopefully he comes out on top

More than 90% of NFL athletes who sustained Lisfranc injuries returned to play in the NFL at a median of 11.1 months from time of injury. Offensive and defensive players experienced a decrease in performance after return from injury that did not reach statistical significance compared with their respective control groups over a similar time period.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27166291

Edited by dezertbill

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Scary thought for a WR

Not good.

On the plus side I think a lot of the players who have had real struggle returning from them are very big guys.   Keeping weight off of it for a long time to let it heal is critical and I'm guessing people who carry a lot of extra run a higher chance of re-injury.  

I doubt his draft stock changes much, mainly because I had him as a likely 2nd round pick, possible 3rd round pick anyway due to his size and the deep WR talent pool in first 3 rounds of the draft.  I would expect he will still go in 2nd or 3rd round, although any hopes of him making a first round case are now gone because he really needed to do that at the combine.  

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He was never on my list because of his size

The one game I tuned in to focus just on him, he dropped like 3 straight balls, then got hurt when he caught the 4th. Not his best game, I’m sure....and he might even pay me to never watch him again!

Tough break for the young man (no pun intended). Hope he heals up as best and quickly as possible. 

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I doubt his draft stock changes much, mainly because I had him as a likely 2nd round pick, possible 3rd round pick anyway due to his size and the deep WR talent pool in first 3 rounds of the draft.  I would expect he will still go in 2nd or 3rd round, although any hopes of him making a first round case are now gone because he really needed to do that at the combine.  

He’s a first round guy.  

I was all for Brown with our pick in the first....until now.  He was projected to run high 4.2 to low 4.3 as well.  Certain things you don't mess with....feet, hamstrings, groin.  Those always seem to lead to repeat injuries down the road.  Not even considering him before the 3rd anymore.

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s a first round guy.  

Dont get me wrong, I like Brown a lot.  But for me, he was certainly a potential first round guy, but he was no lock for the first round IMO.  To be fair I don't see any WR as a "lock" for the first round right now given how deep and closely graded the class is.  With the combine coming up, there are at least 7 WRs who all have a chance to make first round cases, and then its going to be team by team preference.

Plus WR's are one of those groups where the draft order never goes as expected.  Lots of times there are "first round" guys who see several other less talked about WRs go ahead of them as they fall to 2nd and 3rd round.  Its going to happen this year too, and given Browns size, he was one I thought had that kind of slip potential given the crowded WR group.  

I think the closest 2 guys to being a lock for the first round are Metcalf and Harry...yet even they both need to show strong at the combine for that to be true.   

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

To me, this completely changes the outlook on Brown. 

We're talking about an undersized guy whose ONLY real calling card is his speed and quickness.

Factoring in a LisFranc injury? Yikes.

Whereas I have had him on my short list of players that I'd like to see the Bills draft, I now think they should steer clear of him. These types of injuries can linger and re-occur for years. 

Yep. Now maybe he can still have that after the surgery but a 1st round Wr with foot issues gives me PTSD

28 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

My guess is no and hopefully not for the Bills.

Teams look at smaller guys production like Tyreek Hill/Hilton/AB.. It will push his draft stock higher.  He has the production in college too.  I’ll stick to my guns he’ll be a first round guy even with the foot