Inside Info (somewhat) - Kyler Murray

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

At 25 million, that would have to be a lot of jerseys and tickets.  Average ticket revenue per team is currently 70 million---and that includes the teams that charge far more than teams like the Bills.  If he goes to a low revenue team, I don't think it would be possible to sell enough tickets to come close to covering his contract in a year.  If he goes to a high revenue team, all tickets are likely sold and there wouldn't be much room for growth.

Here's the problem:

Image result for heisman candidates

Haskins is no giant at 6'3"...

Before the season even starts sales will skyrocket. Let him have 1 good game and his jersey will be one of the top sellers. I envy the lucky owner, and actually look forward to seeing if he is any good.

• Like (+1) 1

I just keep having flashbacks of that one tackle in the Alabama game where the pass rusher grabbed him with one arm and threw him to the ground like a rag doll.

Avoiding the rush isn't just about elusiveness it's about being able to break through arm tackles and I think this is an area that he may struggle.

20 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Was a fly on the wall when  NFL executives (level just below GM) from 2 different teams and an agent were chatting. Neither of the two teams need a QB, but, given Baker's success in the NFL,  the three of them were quite sure that Kyler Murray is going to be a top-5 pick in this draft. They were saying he can do things that even Baker cannot do.  Relevant since most mocks have him outside the top 10 as of now. 

A run on the QBs will be good for us when we do not need a QB - either it will leave us a top 5 talent at 9 or some team will want to trade up with us.

I would think with Mayfield, Brees and Wilson all succeeding, the whole "must be over 6' 2" tall thing is starting to die out.

16 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I remember Flutie......so short.....and, he could never over achieve in the NFL.  Good short player.  I don't think Murray makes it......a wasted pick in the making.

Flutie is a good comparison. He was plagued by blocked passes and didn't have the zip in his arm to make all of the throws needed to stretch NFL defenses. I live in Allen, where Murray went to HS and saw him win a few state championships. I think Kyler is a bit faster. The big question  for me is if his arm is strong enough to stretch NFL defenses with deep outs. I think that Kyler could thrive in the right system and with good talent around him.

21 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

After readng Peter King’s column today, I’m starting to believe he will go top 5: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/17/kyler-murray-nfl-draft-lincoln-riley-peter-king-fmia/

So then basically what he's saying in that article is he will be the second coming of Doug Flutie correct ? (Boy is that going to piss off some of these Bills fans ?

Flute did everything that he said Murray will do in his NFL career it's just that Doug proved it could be done first ! Once this kid hits the NFL you can watch all of the comparisons to Flutie will start  .

There are a lot of Bills fans for what ever reason that hate Flutie & i for one don't get it & never will but this guy is built from the same mold & when he is drafted he will once again prove that the "Prototypical NFL-QB" doesn't have to be "Prototypical" when it comes to height only in football smarts & arm strength .

Which to this point Tarkington, Jurgenson, Flutie, Bree's, Wilson, &  Mayfield, which the first 5 of these 6 are listed as the Best QB's in NFL history who are 6' or less Murray could be the next ... 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:01 AM, Magox said:

I just keep having flashbacks of that one tackle in the Alabama game where the pass rusher grabbed him with one arm and threw him to the ground like a rag doll.

Avoiding the rush isn't just about elusiveness it's about being able to break through arm tackles and I think this is an area that he may struggle.

Oh, I know.  When I saw that, I knew that game was lost.  And it was exactly how you described it.  He probably could have picked him up, one-handed, swung him around, and then blasted into the ground.  That was painful to see as a Sooners fan.

He DOES have the arm to make the throws downfield.  I just think what we saw against the 'Bama defense will be more the norm than the exception in the NFL, and I HATE to say that.

I'd take Baker, or Josh Allen at least 32 times before I'd select Kyler as the leader of my team.  Loved him playing for us as a Sooner's fan.  I just don't know what he's thinking.  Maybe it IS as someone else said:  maybe he can't hit the baseball.  But, and it's been awhile since I played or followed baseball, but I think there's still the 'pinch hitter'.  I just think his longevity and money is in the MLB.  I wish Kyler the best in whatever he does.  He's a competitor.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:42 AM, T master said:

So then basically what he's saying in that article is he will be the second coming of Doug Flutie correct ? (Boy is that going to piss off some of these Bills fans ?

Flute did everything that he said Murray will do in his NFL career it's just that Doug proved it could be done first ! Once this kid hits the NFL you can watch all of the comparisons to Flutie will start  .

There are a lot of Bills fans for what ever reason that hate Flutie & i for one don't get it & never will but this guy is built from the same mold & when he is drafted he will once again prove that the "Prototypical NFL-QB" doesn't have to be "Prototypical" when it comes to height only in football smarts & arm strength .

Which to this point Tarkington, Jurgenson, Flutie, Bree's, Wilson, &  Mayfield, which the first 5 of these 6 are listed as the Best QB's in NFL history who are 6' or less Murray could be the next ... 

I'm a major fan of the Flutie Flakes! :)  And think he was friggin robbed by ownership of his time to shine (with the whole Rob Johnson thing).  And honestly, Kyler is SEVERAL notches quicker/faster/more elusive than Flutie ever wanted to be.  I think the arm strengths are at least comparable.  I have no doubt Kyler can sling it wherever it needs to be.  And he actually surprised me with his accuracy.  And honestly, he SAW the field really well, given his stature.

But that was, what, 15/20 years ago when Flutie did what he did?  I know it's cliche, and we see it all the time, but it's true:  NFL players are bigger/faster/stronger than they were even in that time.  And that play in the college playoffs this year when OU played Bama, and that Bama player slung Kyler like a rag-doll, I thought that, alone, would have made him cement his MLB decision, LOL.

I really hope I'm wrong, b/c I want all Sooners to do well in the NFL when they make it there!  I just have my doubts, and I'm glad we have who we have (even if we didn't get Baker, who I was HOPING for) :)

On 2/19/2019 at 7:42 AM, T master said:

I don't hate Flutie, but I do have some animus towards the bandwagon fans that came aboard and didn't care about the Bills. There were LOTS of them. They would ho hum the defense(#1) and nothing was ever Doug's fault. I just found it irritating. He was a fun QB who excited the fanbase(the real fans) and he was effective but somewhat overrated. You'd watch highlights of a 13-10 Bills win in which the defense dominated and the one awesome jump pass he threw would be the only thing mentioned. No credit to Moulds or the defense ever.

I think Flutie would have been more successful in this era where the field is so spread out and QB's are not trained to just take 3/5 step drops and deliver. That's why I believe Murray has a chance to be a special player.

Edited by BillsSB2020

On 2/19/2019 at 6:26 AM, TtownBillsFan said:

I'm the biggest Sooners fan in this place, and I'm telling you now, Kyler is at best 5'8".  Yes, he's as fast as advertised, but that doesn't mean squat when you're not running the Sooners's spread.

I can't believe he is even serious about the NFL.  He has to know it's something not meant for him.  Especially when he already has the MLB fame.  Just silly, IMO.

He's going 1/1 to Arizona....they will run the spread.  He is going to be very good.  He is the best QB in this draft.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean, it makes sense.  You are rubbing elbows with high level NFL execs by day, and posting on a message board at night.

I don't get this comment...

Is the last part some oddity that a person who rubs elbows with high level NFL execs can't do? Why? Because only poor people post on the internet? Or because people with good jobs hate sports? Or.... I don't get the connection.

That's like saying a Hollywood actor can't play video games, or a doctor couldn't post videos on YouTube. There's nothing even remotely odd about any of these things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1