Could the Bills be any better set up at QB for the future?

Shaw66

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Plenty of others have had this thought, but it just struck me how well the Bills are set up at QB.  

They have the guy they think is their QB for the next 10 to 15 years.  They have a journeyman backup who will know the system and can step in and run things if Allen is injured.  And they have a senior journeyman to mentor the kid and even to mentor the journeyman backup, because Anderson has plenty of experience BOTH as a starter and as a backup.  

It would be nice to think that McBeane planned it this way, but we all saw how the Bills actually got to this position.   If they were good enough to plan those events, they should be running the country, not the Bills.   

The Bills have certainly improved their QB situation dramatically.  It is better than it’s been in a long time, but let’s not overstate it.  Allen has talent and potential, but he’s not a proven franchise QB - not yet anyway.  Any team with one of those is better set up regardless of who the backups are.  I like Barkley as the #2 but I’m not sure if Anderson even makes the final roster.  There are plenty of people that can be a veteran mentor that you never want to see the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

It could be a little more certain than it is, but I like it a lot.  When the Bills decide Derek Anderson has outlived his usefulness as a mentor, they can look for a developmental prospect to stash on their PS, and free up a roster spot for another position, but at least things are stable and looking up.  That's a lot compared with the last couple of decades.

This assumes that Allen will make huge strides -- especially in the areas of accuracy and placement. I'll believe it when I see it. I fully expect that he will have some epic games given his athletic ability, but he'll need to master on-target throws on a consistent basis if we're ever going to be a SB champion. Seeing is believing and so many Bills fans, unlike the rest of the impartial country, are giving him a free pass. I hope Bills fans are right about him.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Anderson is going to collect, I believe, almost a million dollars to run the scout team and occasionally throw out some pearls of wisdom to the younglings.

...life must be sweet.

There was an article where in their SB prep, Hoyer helped the Defense prepare for the Rams by executing their plays properly.  He helped with the looks and responses because he was experienced.

In 2018 I thought no experienced backup was not an issue - I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes. I agree the QB room is solid. Know how I know it is? I haven’t bother reading a single thread on available QBs from Trade, FA or the Draft. 

This is certainly a different off season from the norm at OBD.

I'm interpreting this as you wanting me to start a new thread about available QBs.  Please stand by.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Hopefully, obviously it all depends on how/if Allen progresses. We only saw a little bit from Barkley so we don't really even know if he's a reliable backup. I liked that he was willing to throw the ball down the field in that game but it's yet to be seen if he's a quality #2, although hopefully we won't have to find out. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Derek Anderson being on the roster. It's fine that he's a mentor but he looked horrific on the field. If they consider him that valuable they should just see if he wants to coach and pay him whatever he's making now for it. Better than him taking up a roster spot. I would much rather have a young developmental guy for the #3 spot. 

I get it BUT you are a player OR a coach. Officially of course. The days if having player-coach designations have long passed. At this point, DA still fancies himself a player. The team gets the benefits of having a 'player' at this stage in his career. I get why people say this, but its easier said than done and not really how things work.

In response to the OP, sure - AT THIS MOMENT this may be true. That said, this is the NFL and things change in an instant. At one point last offseason our qb room looked good. A promising rookie, a vet who many thought just needed a chance to prove himself at a nice price, and NP, who was entering his 2nd yr looking to make strides. 

Im happy with how the room looks now but all it takes is a freak camp mishap for the starter,  subsequently a journey man getting exposed for what he is and then all of a sudden everyone is back up in arms that they were unprepared bc DA is all thats here. So, RIGHT NOW everything is rainbows and sunshine but things can change quick so dont rest on what a great job was done 'building' the room. 

Edited by gobills1212

If the kid doesn't progress and is the same the next few years as he was this past year, then yes, the Bills could be better setup at QB. 

If, however, he does progress and grow into a solid NFL starter or more, then the Bills are certainly sitting pretty at that position.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

If the kid doesn't progress and is the same the next few years as he was this past year, then yes, the Bills could be better setup at QB. 

If, however, he does progress and grow into a solid NFL starter or more, then the Bills are certainly sitting pretty at that position.

No one can predict the future.  All we can do is comment on where things are right now.  The only way things could be better would be to have Luck, who is the only mature QB in the game who looks like a star and who isn't in the tail end of his career. 

55 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

This assumes that Allen will make huge strides -- especially in the areas of accuracy and placement. I'll believe it when I see it. I fully expect that he will have some epic games given his athletic ability, but he'll need to master on-target throws on a consistent basis if we're ever going to be a SB champion. Seeing is believing and so many Bills fans, unlike the rest of the impartial country, are giving him a free pass. I hope Bills fans are right about him.

I didn't assume anything. The Bill's have the guy they've identified as their QB of the future.  No team knows if their QB of the future will succeed.  The Bills are no different.  

Under the circumstances, the most the Bill's could hope for is exactly what they have. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

Pat Mahomes still haunts us. I understand that you don't have your outgoing GM picking your franchise QB but was there any scenario in which Mahomes would not have been a fit?

Meh -- he doesn't haunt me.  McD made an evaluation that I think a lot of personnel people would have agreed with at the time -- and he got a great player in Tre White along with additional draft capital.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but the Bills got their QB the following year and there's no looking back.  Let's see how Allen pans out.

36 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

I get it BUT you are a player OR a coach. Officially of course. The days if having player-coach designations have long passed. At this point, DA still fancies himself a player. The team gets the benefits of having a 'player' at this stage in his career. I get why people say this, but its easier said than done and not really how things work.

One big difference is that DA the player can work out with Josh as often as they both want, where DA the coach would be limited by the CBA. I think that's worth a 3rd string roster spot.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

One big difference is that DA the player can work out with Josh as often as they both want, where DA the coach would be limited by the CBA. I think that's worth a 3rd string roster spot.

Among other things, sure. Which, is why when people say he should be a coach its like... uh, hes a player and still has value as such. You have forever to coach, but a relatively small window to be a player. Its no accident things are how they are

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Meh -- he doesn't haunt me.  McD made an evaluation that I think a lot of personnel people would have agreed with at the time -- and he got a great player in Tre White along with additional draft capital.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but the Bills got their QB the following year and there's no looking back.  Let's see how Allen pans out.

Same here. Hell, the kid could have come here w no weapons and be an int machine and we wld be discussing if we should be drafting another qb already. 

My coping mechanism with allen after the draft was that i really wanted mahomes the yr before. I figured if i wanted the rocket arm developmental player last year i shouldnt be upset with this years version. Its silly, but after yelling for a day it wasnt rosen... that thought really helped me come around

I totally agree the Bills are in the best QB situation in quite some time. The one thing they still need IMO is a developmental QB for their PS. I would love to see them go after a kid like Eric Dungey from Syracuse. Don’t know if he will be a very late round pick or could be had as an UDFA. Minus the cannon for an arm Dungey has the size, strength and running ability along with a lot of the intangibles of Josh Allen. Take this kid, stash him on the PS for a season or two and you might be able to develop a backup for J.A. that could come in when needed and the offense would hardly skip a beat.

52 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

I totally agree the Bills are in the best QB situation in quite some time. The one thing they still need IMO is a developmental QB for their PS. I would love to see them go after a kid like Eric Dungey from Syracuse. Don’t know if he will be a very late round pick or could be had as an UDFA. Minus the cannon for an arm Dungey has the size, strength and running ability along with a lot of the intangibles of Josh Allen. Take this kid, stash him on the PS for a season or two and you might be able to develop a backup for J.A. that could come in when needed and the offense would hardly skip a beat.

I prefer the journeyman backup.   Your backup is never going to be as good as you starter; what you want in a backup is someone who's not going to screw things up while you're waiting for the starter to returner.   The developmental QB is a bigger risk as a backup.   IF Allen turns out to be a keeper, developmental QBs just take a roster or PS spot that would be better spend on an extra DB.   If your developmental QB is any good, you lose him in free agency.