Could the Bills be any better set up at QB for the future?

Shaw66

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There are some factors about how we opened week 1 that people either forget or dont realize though.

1. The plan going into the 3rd preseason game was for Allen to start week 1 and they have said this directly.  After the first team struggled badly in that game, they decided they wanted to work with Allen a little more before starting.  Again, they have publicly said all this too, not opinion.  
  2. NP definitely outplayed AJ, although AJ had more respect around the league and trade value.  They were not going to carry 3 QB's and unbelievably the Raiders were still willing to give the Bills a 5th round pick for AJ after being outplayed over the preseason, so of course they took it.  Neither NP or AJ were the future, Allen was, so to get a pick for one was a no brainer.
  3. Once they moved AJ they had to focus all their time on both Allen and NP to get them ready to play.  Bringing in a 3rd QB who needs reps and time with the coaches to learn the system takes time away from both young QB's.  

QB is the most difficult position of any team sport in the world to learn and play well.  And when you have 2 young QB's they need as much of the time with the coaches as possible.  So was not a surprise to me they didn't immediately bring in another vet right before the season started and waited until they were a little more into the season before making that decision.

So for me, I think people way over exaggerate the situation at the start of the season.  I mean why anyone cares about it is a bit puzzling to me, especially since they did bring in a mentor a handful of weeks later.  

the one other factor too I think was they expected AJ to establish himself as the winner over NP and also didn't expect him to get hurt too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Plenty of others have had this thought, but it just struck me how well the Bills are set up at QB.  

They have the guy they think is their QB for the next 10 to 15 years.  They have a journeyman backup who will know the system and can step in and run things if Allen is injured.  And they have a senior journeyman to mentor the kid and even to mentor the journeyman backup, because Anderson has plenty of experience BOTH as a starter and as a backup.  

It would be nice to think that McBeane planned it this way, but we all saw how the Bills actually got to this position.   If they were good enough to plan those events, they should be running the country, not the Bills.   

After McDermott retires he is running for office with Beane as VP.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I prefer the journeyman backup.   Your backup is never going to be as good as you starter; what you want in a backup is someone who's not going to screw things up while you're waiting for the starter to returner.   The developmental QB is a bigger risk as a backup.   IF Allen turns out to be a keeper, developmental QBs just take a roster or PS spot that would be better spend on an extra DB.   If your developmental QB is any good, you lose him in free agency.   

Agreed. You get a developmental QB when your franchise QB is in his 30s or showing signs of gradual decline.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I prefer the journeyman backup.   Your backup is never going to be as good as you starter; what you want in a backup is someone who's not going to screw things up while you're waiting for the starter to returner.   The developmental QB is a bigger risk as a backup.   IF Allen turns out to be a keeper, developmental QBs just take a roster or PS spot that would be better spend on an extra DB.   If your developmental QB is any good, you lose him in free agency.   

I understand what you are saying, but I’m assuming DA isn’t going to be occupying a roster spot very long so having a 3rd QB on the PS would not be a problem. If Dungey could develop like I believe he can and SU coach Barbers thinks he can he could easily replace Barkley as the number two QB in 2-3 years and what a two headed monster we could have then.

Do answer the thread, certainly we could be better set up.  We could have Patrick Mahomes and better coaching.  That is one example.  That example exists in reality.  Other examples that exist in reality is that we could have Russell Wilson, who has many years left, and doesn't need any mentoring. 

I love Allen as a player.  Barkley is meaningless.  Anderson is less than meaningless as far as the future of the team is concerned. 

9 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Am I the only skeptic on the planet??  Full disclosure:  I thought EJ was the answer (I know that all of you geniuses knew he was a bust as soon as his name was called), but he got the big injury and then never got the accuracy and the mechanics to the pro level.  Sounds eerily like the new dude.  Yes, I get that the eyes tell us that JA is different;  however, we seem to have all our eggs in one basket AGAIN!!  What would be wrong with drafting a QB in round 4 or after??   I wouldn't be surprised if the following are on McBeane's radar:  Minshew (Wash St), Thorson (NW), and McSorley (PennSt).  I would be really impressed if they draft a QB.  We should keep drafting em until we know we've got the guy.  Go Bills!!! 

NO!  How about instead we surround our QB with weapons and a good Oline.

Maybe we should just draft 10 QBs just to be certain.?

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm interpreting this as you wanting me to start a new thread about available QBs.  Please stand by.

And then I will start one about one of the QBs and think its ok because it is focused on one certain QB.

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

We now own the NFL

SuperBowl!!!

Edited by formerlyofCtown

6 hours ago, eball said:

Meh -- he doesn't haunt me.  McD made an evaluation that I think a lot of personnel people would have agreed with at the time -- and he got a great player in Tre White along with additional draft capital.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but the Bills got their QB the following year and there's no looking back.  Let's see how Allen pans out.

McD made an evaluation? Since when was McD the GM. I'm amazed at how frequently people think McD hired and ran the scouting and ran the draft when, clearly D Whaley ran that effort as well as the draft. McD may have offered an opinion, but he's not a scout and has never been our GM or anyone else's. I think this mistake recurs often because Whaley isn't here any more and some people just don't like McD, so they are always looking for any sort of blame that they can to try to pin on him. Never mind that Waley made the pick. Never mind that someone that no longer even works for the Bills scouted Mahomes and didn't see that he would soon be the NFL's MVP. Blame the newly hired HC.

The rest of your post I agree with. I have my reservations about Allen, but I hope he exceeds my expectations.

Edited by GreggTX

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

NO!  How about instead we surround our QB with weapons and a good Oline.

Maybe we should just draft 10 QBs just to be certain.?

And then I will start one about one of the QBs and think its ok because it is focused on one certain QB.

SuperBowl!!!

Suppose JA turns out as EJ redux?  Just watch, McBeane is a smart guy and will draft a QB.  BTW, Pats will too.  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Am I the only skeptic on the planet??  Full disclosure:  I thought EJ was the answer (I know that all of you geniuses knew he was a bust as soon as his name was called), but he got the big injury and then never got the accuracy and the mechanics to the pro level.  Sounds eerily like the new dude.  Yes, I get that the eyes tell us that JA is different;  however, we seem to have all our eggs in one basket AGAIN!!  What would be wrong with drafting a QB in round 4 or after??   I wouldn't be surprised if the following are on McBeane's radar:  Minshew (Wash St), Thorson (NW), and McSorley (PennSt).  I would be really impressed if they draft a QB.  We should keep drafting em until we know we've got the guy.  Go Bills!!! 

?Is that a typo? must be a Georgia thing..

Anyway, yes, you are the Only one.

14 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

I think the Bills had Gale Gilbert behind Frank Reich behind Jim Kelly.  And I'm just too lazy to look it up, but I think Gale Gilbert became the only player to go to five Super Bowls in a row, as he ended up with San Diego after the Super Bowl run for the Bills.  That has to make him special.

Son of Gale now playing in AAF.  After he gains some experience it comes full circle as he becomes the Bills 3rd string. Super Bowls!!

9 hours ago, GreggTX said:

McD made an evaluation? Since when was McD the GM. I'm amazed at how frequently people think McD hired and ran the scouting and ran the draft when, clearly D Whaley ran that effort as well as the draft. McD may have offered an opinion, but he's not a scout and has never been our GM or anyone else's. I think this mistake recurs often because Whaley isn't here any more and some people just don't like McD, so they are always looking for any sort of blame that they can to try to pin on him. Never mind that Waley made the pick. Never mind that someone that no longer even works for the Bills scouted Mahomes and didn't see that he would soon be the NFL's MVP. Blame the newly hired HC.

The rest of your post I agree with. I have my reservations about Allen, but I hope he exceeds my expectations.

C'mon, man, everyone knew Whaley was a dead man walking during that draft.  Everybody said the right things and yes, they used Whaley's staff's scouting evaluations, but make no mistake -- McD was calling the shots.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, stuvian said:

Pat Mahomes still haunts us. I understand that you don't have your outgoing GM picking your franchise QB but was there any scenario in which Mahomes would not have been a fit?

I just think Mahomes is in the perfect situation for him in KC.

I do not believe if the Bills had drafted him with 1/2 a season of Tyrod as a starter (Mr. Conservative) and the Dennison offense - Mahomes would have been any better than a mid-level starter here.

It certainly would have changed many things, but I honestly do not think Mahomes haunts us because I just do not see him as better than Allen - just in a much better set of circumstances and offensive talent.

I could be wrong because you never know when speculating, but I also believe if they had drafted Mahomes - they would still be struggling with Cap issues because they would have needed to try and build offense faster before clearing space and you end up with a 18 million Sammy Watkins as your #1 and I don’t think with his health we would be better for having kept him.

It didn't go quite as planned but they definitely came out smelling like a rose ! We all second guessed a lot of moves this past year me being one of the biggest passing judgement on some of the decisions made but it looks as if it worked out for the best !

Now if they can just get a O line to give the dude some time so he's not running for his life not that that was a bad thing but if he is to develop a high powered passing game he needs to have time & a good O line is the only way he can do that !!