Amazon To Pay No Federal Taxes in 2019

http://fortune.com/2019/02/14/amazon-doesnt-pay-federal-taxes-2019/

I know many of you would rather focus with bloodthirsty zeal on hoards of so-called rapists coming over the border to find white women, but I thought I'd post an actual, real problem that the demagogues don't want us to focus on.  What do we think about it?  Amazon's tax strategies most surely are fully legal - and is that a problem?  I'm surprised (I guess, actually I'm not surprised) that the "drain the swamp" crowd isn't more focused on this kind of issue.  I'm not sure where I fall on it - I cannot stand progressive politics that chase businesses out of communities that need them (see, e.g.., Amazon in Long Island City and Buffalo from 1980-2015), but it also seems galling that tax laws (and loopholes) allow the biggest earners (corporate and individual) to shirk the obligations the rest of us face.

Thoughts? 

Can we see Amazon’s tax returns? 

I wonder what write offs they’re taking. The depreciation on their warehouses must be considerable. How is their A Prime revenue accounted for? 

I’m going to get a copy of their AR and have a look-see. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Can we see Amazon’s tax returns? 

I wonder what write offs they’re taking. The depreciation on their warehouses must be considerable. How is their A Prime revenue accounted for? 

I’m going to get a copy of their AR and have a look-see. 

They also had like a decade plus of unprofitability (despite huge revenue), so they may have engaged in a strategy designed to carry the losses forward?  Curious to hear what you find.

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

How about you answer the question Ryan?  I know it’s not a Tyrod thread but still...

Hey, remember when you promised to read the FISC opinion memo months and months ago so you could learn what the Trump/Russia story was all about? That was neat. Did you ever read it? Or were you too busy worried about the Russians stealing the election?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gee, I wonder if chicken ***** @Coach Tuesday will return to argue his points after the usual drive-by's.

Such as detailing the exact portions of the tax code that Amazon is apparently skirting.

I'll wait.  Or better yet, we can set a new rule on PPP.  If a poster starts more than two drive-by threads, they're be banned from this forum, since we're not allowed to ridicule them on the main site.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They also had like a decade plus of unprofitability (despite huge revenue), so they may have engaged in a strategy designed to carry the losses forward?  Curious to hear what you find.

I'm sure this is part of it, and frankly consider it legitimate.  I don't know if is all of it.  How much did Amazon add to sales tax coffers I wonder.  Credits for past losses will someday run out and it sure looks like Amazon will be making a lot of money moving forward so patience will net a good sum.

Now back to bloodthirsty zeal.....

• Like (+1) 1

Amazon is a publicly traded company.

Its financial statements are a matter of public record, and are available.

By the way, Amazon has never been an income company, at least to date.

It has always been about accumulating market share over profit, so tax payments are what they are.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

http://fortune.com/2019/02/14/amazon-doesnt-pay-federal-taxes-2019/

I know many of you would rather focus with bloodthirsty zeal on hoards of so-called rapists coming over the border to find white women, but I thought I'd post an actual, real problem that the demagogues don't want us to focus on.  What do we think about it?  Amazon's tax strategies most surely are fully legal - and is that a problem?  I'm surprised (I guess, actually I'm not surprised) that the "drain the swamp" crowd isn't more focused on this kind of issue.  I'm not sure where I fall on it - I cannot stand progressive politics that chase businesses out of communities that need them (see, e.g.., Amazon in Long Island City and Buffalo from 1980-2015), but it also seems galling that tax laws (and loopholes) allow the biggest earners (corporate and individual) to shirk the obligations the rest of us face.

Thoughts? 

I think you’re a jackass. 

Edited by The_Dude

8 minutes ago, GG said:

Or better yet, we can set a new rule on PPP.  If a poster starts more than two drive-by threads, they're be banned from this forum, since we're not allowed to ridicule them on the main site.

I like this idea a lot. You have to wonder how much @Coach Tuesday would whine if people jumped into the football side of the board and started a thread like "Kaepernick Sucks At Football And Only Took A Knee Because He Knew He Was Getting Canned!" with a link to Kaep's stats...and then disappear for the rest of the thread.

Surely he would see the value in that kind of idiocy. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Tax loss carryovers requires about as much strategy as running a QB sneak on 4th and inches.  By the way, individuals can do that too.

Every year or so we need the media to stir up the idiots about some tax story they don’t understand.  Remember all the outrage from idiots because Goodell made $30m at a ‘non-profit’?

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The memo has been sent to the MSM: Amazon is now public enemy #1 for embarrassing Democrats.

Exactly 

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'm sure this is part of it, and frankly consider it legitimate.  I don't know if is all of it.  How much did Amazon add to sales tax coffers I wonder.  Credits for past losses will someday run out and it sure looks like Amazon will be making a lot of money moving forward so patience will net a good sum.

Now back to bloodthirsty zeal.....

Yeah, those pesky US tax laws that allow companies to carry forward accumulated net losses for up to ten years, including the R&D tax credit signed into law by the Golden Child..

Here's some back of the envelope data on real taxes paid - In total,  Amazon paid over $1 billion in income taxes sales tax in 2018.   It has an estimated 350,000 us employees for which is paid over $750 million in payroll taxes.  It's roughly $125 billion in US sales generate over $3 billion in local sales taxes.  It's 3rd party merchants generate about $140 billion in annual sales which probably delivers another $5 billion in annual taxes.  And those are just income and payroll taxes.

But, yeah, Amazon is a net taker.

F'ng morons.

• Like (+1) 4