McBeane Draft Tendencies?

Dkollidas

Seeing if anyone has picked up on any of this regimes draft tendencies? It’s difficult because the first year was run by McDermott but scouted by Whaley’s group. This past year was then drafted by Beane/McDermott and their scouting staffs. 

I think one thing I’ve noticed that’s carried through both seasons is the regimes preference for seniors, or at least guys who are senior bowl eligible players. The entire 2017 class was seniors, but was that just a case of McDermott trying to hedge his bets and take the most proven commodities he could find, with low bust potential?

Furthering this theory, besides Edmunds, a true physical freak, and one who still played 3 years of college football, even though he was drafted at age 19, the Bills took all seniors last year as well... Allen and Phillips still has eligibility, but we’re technically graduated. 

I thinj this provides a good look at how they'll go about business, i.e. the first round pick will just be best player available. After that they’ll stick to seniors as much as they can. 

I could see them going for a guy like Metcalf with 9th overall, or some other physically imposing athlete. And then in the rest of the draft look for guys who who are talented but proven to supplement that pick and help to provide depth throughout the roster. 

Metcalf does remind me a lot of Edmunds.

1. Both positions of great need

2. Both athletic freaks (obviously depends on Metcalf’s combine, but I expect him to blow up and really help himself).

3. Both have no off-field issues

4. Both come from major football families (can add Zay Jones to this one as well). Edmunds has two brothers in the league and s father who was a pro bowler. Metcalf has a father, uncle and grandfather who combined for 27years in the NFL. I think they may view it as something helpful for younger players coming into the league to have someone that close that has had the experience.

- lastly as a note, I see Dalton Risner as this years version of their Harrison Phillips. He’ll slip a bit because he’ll be 24 at the start of the season. But he’ll cone in and be a day 1 starter and the type of guy fans here will love just like Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think one thing I’ve noticed that’s carried through both seasons is the regimes preference for seniors, or at least guys who are senior bowl eligible players. The entire 2017 class was seniors, but was that just a case of McDermott trying to hedge his bets and take the most proven commodities he could find, with low bust potential?

Furthering this theory, besides Edmunds, a true physical freak, and one who still played 3 years of college football, even though he was drafted at age 19, the Bills took all seniors last year as well... Allen and Phillips still has eligibility, but we’re technically graduated

I think you're right, Beane seems to favor seniors and especially team captains.  I hope they continue that kind of profile in this year's draft.  Unfortunately,  there are very few seniors with a 1st round grade this year.  According to CBS Sports draft rankings there are only five seniors in the entire top 32 ranked players in this years draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

My two favorites for the Bills to grab in the first round, offensive tackles Jonah Williams and Jawaan Taylor, are both juniors.  I'd draft one of them and then heavily weight the amount of playing experience someone had in college in determining who to draft.  There is so little practice time allowed by the new CBA that it is a lot harder to coach up a college player with raw talent but who needs work on technique than it used to be.  Getting a player with a full four years of college experience is more important than ever.

Good point about Metcalf and the family NFL connection. I’m still doubtful that any WR will be worth it at 9. There should be a solid guy there when we pick in the second. I’d love Harmon.

If they do indeed go BPA at 9 that player is likely to be a defensive one, Greedy, one of the DT’s or possibly even Devin White. His name has not been mentioned much but it wouldn’t shock me at all if he was the pick at 9. 

16 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Good point about Metcalf and the family NFL connection. I’m still doubtful that any WR will be worth it at 9. There should be a solid guy there when we pick in the second. I’d love Harmon.

If they do indeed go BPA at 9 that player is likely to be a defensive one, Greedy, one of the DT’s or possibly even Devin White. His name has not been mentioned much but it wouldn’t shock me at all if he was the pick at 9. 

It will likely be DL or OL.  Our secondary is younger and good.  If Greedy is there I know what the last 3 regimes would do but I think this regime takes someone in the trenches likely a McDT.  QBs are getting faster at getting the ball out and the shortest distance to the QB is a straight line.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

24 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

McD traded down as well.  I think it would be better described as they are willing to move around to line up need with BPA.

To that point have they made a 1st or 2nd round pick in the past two drafts that didn't involve a move up or down?  T. White (down), Z. Jones (up), Dawkins (up), Allen (up), Edmunds (up)... all of them 

Edited by cage

9 minutes ago, cage said:

To that point have they made a 1st or 2nd round pick in the past two drafts that didn't involve a move up or down?  T. White (down), Z. Jones (up), Dawkins (up), Allen (up), Edmunds (up)... all of them 

I agree. If there’s a trend it’d appear to be that one. In fact, it’s all the moving around that sticks out to me from the last few drafts, even prior to Beane.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

McDermott traded down and drafted Tre White!

Correct...but the OP was trying to see what they had both done in common to see if any predictions for the future could be made...I don’t recall Beane ever trading down like McD...but they both have traded up before.

Too early to talk about tendencies.  But listening to these guys talk, I get the following impressions.

*  Beane really is a BPA guy - to a point.  He'll draft a good guy at a position we don't need if he feels that this guy is clearly the best guy on the board.  Because of this, at the end of the draft some fans may complain we drafted a couple players who weren't entirely necessary while neglecting some glaring needs.  

*  McD and Beane don't want combine warriors.  They want good football players who will work hard and put the team first.  Athleticism is important, but it isn't everything.  

*  As mentioned by CaptnCoke and others, Beane isn't afraid to trade.  My guess is that he's just as likely to trade down as up.  He wants to maximize his picks in a way that makes sense with his board & the needs of the team.  So  while Beane may be a BPA guy, it doesn't mean he'll passively wait for his turn and then choose the best player still available.  He'll make some trades to make sure - as best he can - the needs of the team are met.  

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Seeing if anyone has picked up on any of this regimes draft tendencies? It’s difficult because the first year was run by McDermott but scouted by Whaley’s group. This past year was then drafted by Beane/McDermott and their scouting staffs. 

Furthering this theory, besides Edmunds, a true physical freak, and one who still played 3 years of college football, even though he was drafted at age 19, the Bills took all seniors last year as well... Allen and Phillips still has eligibility, but we’re technically graduated. 

I thinj this provides a good look at how they'll go about business, i.e. the first round pick will just be best player available. After that they’ll stick to seniors as much as they can. 

I'll disagree that the first year was run by Whaley's cronies.  In fact, they got rid of a few before the draft even.  

But it was McD's personal choice for WRs coach, forget his name, a former EC coach, that was high on Zay Jones when the obvious pick, even then, was Smith-Shuster, particularly over an FCS candidate like Jones.  So not letting them off-the-hook for that one so easily.  

One minor trend is their lack of concern over going "small school," again, FCS in this case, with two enormously risky picks on Jones & Allen, both times in very critical spots.  Jones clearly hasn't stepped up to anywhere even remotely approaching what's expected from a 37th overall pick and 4th overall WR taken.  Point-of-note, five WRs after Jones have logged more yards, significantly in four of the five cases.  

And if you don't think that Peterman was McBeane's pick, well, LMAO.  

Otherwise, I see as a trend McD leaning on his experience as a DC over emphasizing, or should we say neglecting, the offense.  WR has been critical and yet Jones has flopped and the only others they've taken were late day-3 last year.  Other than that the only offensive players have been the two Gs, Dawkins and then Teller, also on day-3 this past draft.  

He really can't afford to tinker with more defense at this point, and given that they're going to sink or swim on Allen.  So it's in their best interests as HC and GM and their futures as such, to use all three day-1 & 2 picks on offense, presumably a WR, an OL, and what, another OL, TE, another WR?  

They literally have needs at every offensive position.  We cannot argue that they're "set" anywhere.  Foster isn't a proven starting WR although looking good for a handful of games.  We'll see how things change when DCs plan for him.  Otherwise we need capable WRs, a TE, every OL spot could stand an upgrade, and of course there's a need for RB too.  That's a lot to overcome in a season, two tops.  They won't have more to produce another playoff appearance.  Again, not sure that "making the playoffs" last season was a good thing for them in their long-term interests.  

They've been fortunate with several late-round picks but that's hardly a trade-off for a spotty history in rounds 1-3 and it suggests just that, fortune/luck as opposed to knowledge, otherwise they'd have done better in those 1-3 rounds.  

There are so many needs and IMO not enough time for them to rebuild the O as such, particularly as key players (Hughes & Lorax) diminish in play on the D side due to age.  Remember, over half our paltry sack total came from Kyle, Lorax, and Hughes.  Also not mentioned is that their abject failure to be able to adequately assess the O.  Anyone should have known that for one reason or another great things are typically not expected from a 30-year old RB no matter how good he's been.  Sure, he could beat the odds, but that's a long-shot bet and frankly it didn't work out.  The better thing to have done would have been to trade Shady last year as I said repeatedly and move on.  Instead we get nothing, either this season from him or going forward.  But the point is that to rely on things like that demonstrates a lack of awareness of tried and true NFL tenets if you will and frankly, of  NFL history in general.  That's one thing I always look for in a coach.  

So far they haven't proven an ability to improve the offense.  The one thing that should be clear to the world is that if Allen doesn't make a huge stride in his short-medium game then they won't be long for Buffalo.  I don't see how they're going to do that with the current offensive (double entendre there) roster.  

I'm just not sure that it's possible to build it as such, essentially from the ground up, so quickly.  I guess we'll find out, but again, there's nothing on record suggesting that they know how to do it, here, Carolina, anywhere.  More picks like their 2nd rounds of Jones and 3rd of Dawkins aren't going to cut it.  

And if I were them I'd avoid any FCS school period on days 1 & 2, where they only have three picks, one each in the first three rounds.  

Edited by TaskersGhost

3 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

I'll disagree that the first year was run by Whaley's cronies.  In fact, they got rid of a few before the draft even.  

But it was McD's personal choice for WRs coach, forget his name, a former EC coach, that was high on Zay Jones when the obvious pick, even then, was Smith-Shuster, particularly over an FCS candidate like Jones.  So not letting them off-the-hook for that one so easily.  

One minor trend is their lack of concern over going "small school," again, FCS in this case, with two enormously risky picks on Jones & Allen, both times in very critical spots.  Jones clearly hasn't stepped up to anywhere even remotely approaching what's expected from a 37th overall pick and 4th overall WR taken.  Point-of-note, five WRs after Jones have logged more yards, significantly in four of the five cases.  

And if you don't think that Peterman was McBeane's pick, well, LMAO.  

Otherwise, I see as a trend McD leaning on his experience as a DC over emphasizing, or should we say neglecting, the offense.  WR has been critical and yet Jones has flopped and the only others they've taken were late day-3 last year.  Other than that the only offensive players have been the two Gs, Dawkins and then Teller, also on day-3 this past draft.  

He really can't afford to tinker with more defense at this point, and given that they're going to sink or swim on Allen.  So it's in their best interests as HC and GM and their futures as such, to use all three day-1 & 2 picks on offense, presumably a WR, an OL, and what, another OL, TE, another WR?  

So far they haven't proven an ability to improve the offense.  The one thing that should be clear to the world is that if Allen doesn't make a huge stride in his short-medium game then they won't be long for Buffalo.  I don't see how they're going to do that with the current offensive (double entendre there) roster.  

I'm just not sure that it's possible to build it as such, essentially from the ground up, so quickly.  I guess we'll find out, but again, there's nothing on record suggesting that they know how to do it, here, Carolina, anywhere.  More picks like their 2nd rounds of Jones and 3rd of Dawkins aren't going to cut it.  

And if I were them I'd avoid any FCS school period on days 1 & 2, where they only have three picks, one each in the first three rounds.  

Jones and Allen did not go to FCS  schools. Wyoming and ECU are FBS programs. 

However I do agree  that JuJu should have been pick.