Bills have only 5 players left from before McDermott arrived

15 hours ago, Logic said:

The reason this rebuild seems to be progressing well and giving us all hope is that after jettisoning the "old guard", the current front office has been capably re-stocking the cupboards.

To wit, the current core players for the Bills going forward:

Josh Allen
Dion Dawkins
Wyatt Teller
Robert Foster
Zay Jones

Tremaine Edmunds
Matt Milano
Tre'Davious White
Levi Wallace
Taron Johnson
Micah Hyde 
Jordan Poyer
Harrison Phillips
Star Lotulelei

That's a pretty darn good job setting a new foundation. They seem to have already found quality players at most key positions: QB, LT, CB1, Mike LB. They just need to draft a young, heir apparent edge rusher to complement/replace Hughes and Lawson. And on top of all of the above, as we all know, they'll be adding 10 or so new draftees and some free agents. 

Great work by McDermott, Beane and co.

Eh I don't really think they've made too many moves at receiver yet Zay Jones I thought was still a little up and down this season and Foster has made some awesome progress but he feels less like a focused effort at improving at WR and more like they saw a really cheap possibly boom or bust player  and it seems like it might pay out.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You've never........ever........heard anyone claim that McD didn't have "his guys" yet?  Ever-ever?:lol:

There is no doubt that he has his type of guys. Because he has openly said so since he took the job. He wants players committed to the game both in and out of season. A player such as Dareus who was not committed to being in shape and adequately preparing in the film room was not a player he wanted on the roster.

The reason why he got the job is that he convinced the owner/s that there needed to be a major overhaul of the roster and operation. Or another way of saying that is rebuild the roster and organization. You can reasonably disagree with that rebuild strategy but you can't disagree that he is implementing the plan that he set out when he took the job.

I'm not comparing McDermott to Belichick. But what they each have in common is that they favor a certain profile of player and person for their roster. So without question there is a McDermott type of guy who he is going to bring in or get rid of if that player doesn't turn out to be his type of guy.  

6 hours ago, eball said:

No, but by all means, this wasn't a rebuild...at least that's what some around here have said.  :lol:

If I recall during the SB they said the Patriots had only 12 players remaining over that same 2 year time period.

So 41 roster changes.........or 48 roster changes..........could that scant amount the difference between a SB champ doing normal maintenance on the fly and a mediocre franchise "re-building"?

Or is a lot of turnover pretty common.

Face it.........you have zero perspective because you don't REALLY follow the rest of the NFL.:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If I recall during the SB they said the Patriots had only 12 players remaining over that same 2 year time period.

So 41 roster changes.........or 48 roster changes..........could that scant amount the difference between a SB champ doing normal maintenance on the fly and a mediocre franchise "re-building"?

Or is a lot of turnover pretty common.

Face it.........you have zero perspective because you don't REALLY follow the rest of the NFL.:rolleyes:

I'm not motivated enough to do it, but it would be interesting to see a league-wide list of how many players are still on each team's roster that were there at the end of the 2016 season.

Oh, and the Pats?  When you've got the best head coach and best QB, and a culture already clearly established, turnover certainly doesn't work the same way -- or would you argue differently?

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think my posts make you unhappy.

Again, stop taking it personal. The Bills/Sabres continuous struggles aren't a reflection of you.??

Dude, I'm unhappy for you.  

Edited by eball

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Great, you think that’s witty. Thanks for proving my point. You have no defense. I think you can do better if you try.  Even if your position is indefensible. ?

(BTW - If we happen to be at the same game anywhere next year, I’d love to buy you a beer and talk.)  

Absolutely..........you know I'm just bustin' your balls because you keep moving the goal posts (they're old.....ok they're not old but either way etc..:lol:).

I get it..........ultimately you just want to just look for any reason to be positive.

I get the whole "thoughts become things" "always be positive" stuff I apply that in all important aspects of my life.

Football is just entertainment though.........and it's entirely outside of the influence of my positive vibes.

Therefore I''m more analytical and dispassionate about it.  

And being a product.......it's gotta' entertain...........and fortunately even when the team sucks they always leave plenty of analysis and laughter at their stupidity.........and YES.....HOPE.

I'm not always negative...........I said they were taking a 10 win team to camp in 2017........I was a virtual lone voice who said they weren't tanking after the Watkins/Darby massacre......but that they were going to try to play "not to lose football" and hope that worked and they did.    I called Tre White the top CB in the 2017 draft BEFORE they selected him.    I was a big supporter of the Allen and Edmunds picks.

My track record wrt perspective on this franchise is EXCELLENT.

But people hear what they want to hear.

I come here to discuss the Bills in real terms.

Most of the feeback I get is from those who don't want to be objective.

That's cool but expect disagreements and if the arguments presented back lack any substance I will at least have fun with it.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, eball said:

No, but by all means, this wasn't a rebuild...at least that's what some around here have said.  :lol:

Nothing quite like completely rebuilding a team that averaged 8 wins  in the 3 Seasons before!  

I know you become a hater if you don’t blindly buy into everything this regime is doing but people do realize they had the second worst offense in the nfl last year?  Or everyone complains about Allen’s weapons when we had a receiving core of Woods, Watkins, Goodwin, and Hogan (3 of those guys started for teams in the championship games. Whaley sucks!).  Or that fans complained about Whaley’s trade ups in the draft but this regime traded up for Allen and Zay where they could have just stayed put and drafted Mahomes and JuJu.  

But hey. Just trust the process I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm not motivated enough to do it, but it would be interesting to see a league-wide list of how many players are still on each team's roster that were there at the end of the 2016 season.

Oh, and the Pats?  When you've got the best head coach and best QB, and a culture already clearly established, turnover certainly doesn't work the same way -- or would you argue differently?

I’m starting to think that may help! We should just get the best HC and QB ever and fix this! Why didn’t we see that sooner???  ?

I don’t love everything they do, but despite some errors I like the general direction. They make mistakes, like any team does, but I think they do a lot more right than wrong. I’d love to be in the playoffs this year, but you never know from season to season. If we fall short it doesn’t mean we suck and we aren’t making progress. I hope we are one of the pleasant surprises and keep building upon that. 

If others want to point out what they perceive as blunders and focus more on that, that’s perfectly fine. I don’t worry much about things I can’t control, so I don’t get too worked up about this stuff. We are all seeing the same “reality”, but everybody gets to decide what slant they want to put on football and life. 

If we all agreed 100% on everything it would be pretty boring. In the end, we’ll all have to wait and see how it turns out. Then we can disagree over what to do about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Absolutely..........you know I'm just bustin' your balls because you keep moving the goal posts (they're old.....ok they're not old but either way etc..:lol:).

I get it..........ultimately you just want to just look for any reason to be positive.

I get the whole "thoughts become things" "always be positive" stuff I apply that in all important aspects of my life.

Football is just entertainment though.........and it's entirely outside of the influence of my positive vibes.

Therefore I''m more analytical and dispassionate about it.  

And being a product.......it's gotta' entertain...........and fortunately even when the team sucks they always leave plenty of analysis and laughter at their stupidity.........and YES.....HOPE.

I'm not always negative...........I said they were taking a 10 win team to camp in 2017........I was a virtual lone voice who said they weren't tanking after the Watkins/Darby massacre......but that they were going to try to play "not to lose football" and hope that worked and they did.    I called Tre White the top CB in the 2017 draft BEFORE they selected him.    I was a big supporter of the Allen and Edmunds picks.

My track record wrt perspective on this franchise is EXCELLENT.

But people hear what they want to hear.

I come here to discuss the Bills in real terms.

Most of the feeback I get is from those who don't want to be objective.

That's cool but expect disagreements and if the arguments presented back lack any substance I will at least have fun with it.:thumbsup:

Good stuff, my dude. Thanks!

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nothing quite like completely rebuilding a team that averaged 8 wins  in the 3 Seasons before!  

I know you become a hater if you don’t blindly buy into everything this regime is doing but people do realize they had the second worst offense in the nfl last year?  Or everyone complains about Allen’s weapons when we had a receiving core of Woods, Watkins, Goodwin, and Hogan (3 of those guys started for teams in the championship games. Whaley sucks!).  Or that fans complained about Whaley’s trade ups in the draft but this regime traded up for Allen and Zay where they could have just stayed put and drafted Mahomes and JuJu.  

But hey. Just trust the process I guess.

The FO was not in a position for that to happen in that draft call it bad luck or poor timing for regime change but you really can't blame Bean, wasn't here yet, or McDermott, a defensive HC hired a few months before the draft.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gilmore - F him and his contract 

Woods - seemed like a lot at the time, I regret losing him

Darby - he’s an enigma.  He’s rumored not to be resigned in Philly.  Always thought he was great.  Must be missing something. 

Zach Brown - didn’t fit the character mold. Took plays off

Goodwin - too inconsistent. Hasn’t changed

Watkins - too injury prone, wanted too much, still hasn’t strung together a full season

Dareus - didn’t fit in with the new regime, may get cut again.  Eh. 

Preston Brown - took a one year prove it deal.  We ultimately upgraded 

Cordy Glenn - still has an injury issue, helped us get Allen. 

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Which of those dudes were old?  

Did I miss all the old dudes they got rid of? :flirt:

The choices had nothing to do with age...........they KEPT the OLD players.........that's why they still had the 6th oldest roster in the NFL last season and second oldest in McD's first season.

Correct about the OP being wrong with old guys.  I regret losing two of them.  Other than that, I’m good and think we are in a better place 

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Correct about the OP being wrong with old guys.  I regret losing two of them.  Other than that, I’m good and think we are in a better place 

I wish I could agree.

The 2017 offense thru 15 games was 7th in the NFL in scoring and had recorded the fewest amount of turnovers ever since the NFL merger(prior to going with EJ/Cardale vs. Jets:lol:).

The 2017 defense was a mess.........but very talented.

There was no discussion of this group being a bunch of bad apples that needed to be thrown out.............it was pretty well understood that the coaching was the problem.

They were setup nicely for a big upswing year........a lot of young vets coming of age....... and if they keep that group together.........and add Mahomes.........and say Dawkins and Milano.........that's how mediocre teams get out of their rut.

As it stands they had either the worst or second worst offense in the NFL in 2018.......and the 6th oldest roster.

Vegas currently gives them THE WORST ODDS of winning the SB next year.

This wasn't a 2-14 team.......it was only between the 8th-10th worst team in football........a 6-10 team with $80M in cap room and 10 draft picks and nobody of import up for free agency..........that lack of respect says everything about how the organization is viewed by those who are paid to be right..........incompetent.

Let's hope they flip that narrative.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Why are you so unhappy?

Hey moderator............shouldn't these be viewed as personal attacks?:flirt::lol:

1 hour ago, eball said:

"The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel."  - Harold Walpole, 1776?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I noted in another thread today that Shaq was the only Bills-drafted player left on the roster pre-McD.

Kinda' dispels the whole "McD doesn't have his guys" myth.:thumbsup:

Not really, if he had 100% turnover it would be his decisions but not "his guys". There is only so much money and draft picks you can use every year, thinking he could get all players he wanted in just two years is ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, nucci said:

what about better...why is cheaper important to you?

I’m clipping coupons here!!!!

I kid, cheaper talent is what allows you to pay for your second contracts on your draft wins. Of course....EVERYTHING is about getting BETTER. I just like the idea of home grown talent rather than paying a premium in the free agent frenzy. (It’s a good time to be Paradis!) We will overpay for OLine this year, and I’m OK with that. We need it. It’s not MY money. I’d rather be able to re-negotiate a guy a year early than pay him that premium.