New Anchor Bar (Frederick MD)

BobDVA

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I wish GOOD wings would spread across the country like wildfire. A “wing revolution”!

We just booked a condo in Hilton Head in June for a family get together. Reminds me that in the early 80’s there nobody had heard of chicken wings. I was with he guy who ran a restaurant down in South Beach, and he was asking questions. He was getting curious, and I was getting hungry! We went to the grocery store and made the first wings on Hilton Head Island, and maybe in the state of SC. He said “these are pretty good, they might catch on!” Haha 

The secret to a good wing is buying high quality chicken wings

AND

deep frying them for the right amount of time 

no wing sauces or flavors can overcome a badly prepared wing

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

The secret to a good wing is buying high quality chicken wings

AND

deep frying them for the right amount of time 

no wing sauces or flavors can overcome a badly prepared wing

Flabby wings should come with a brief prison sentence. 

The first time! 

After that, you should know better! 

On 5/1/2019 at 7:42 AM, Augie said:

Hey! I haven’t had Duff’s in several decades, and they warn you that the mediums are hot, and the hot are Super hot. I don’t do “I dare you” food. 

I was at a pizza place a while ago and a guy comes in and sits down next to me. He orders 10 hot. They warn him hot is super HOT. (Not sure what they add, but it’s not the regular sauce, but stronger.) He says “that’s what beer is for”. OK. After the first wing I ask how they are. He says “fine”. During the second wing he chokes out “it builds on you.” By the third wing his eyes and nose are running, and he’s ordering two beers at a time. It was hysterical, from MY seat! He’s blowing his nose, with tears running down his face, too ashamed to give up on his 10 wings. I still chuckle when I think of it. 

It turns out the medium was.....just medium. 

Way back I was working in Cortland and we used to go to a college dive that had solid wings.  One night the chef said something about watching out for the hot wings and we foolishly said something like ‘can’t make them hot enough for us!’    Big mistake.  ?

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Flabby wings should come with a brief prison sentence. 

The first time! 

After that, you should know better! 

Agreed!

my friend owns a pizzeria downtown buffalo... I went in after hours last week and he was whipping up 20 wings for himself after work... makes them different style everyday 

he did some Cajun  honey style extra crispy and they were phenomenal... craving some rn lol

Edited by Buffalo716

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, Augie said:

OK, I finally broke down and drove the 40 miles to the Duffs in Newnan, GA. I don’t get a good beef on weck very often, so it was worth the trip. Wings were the best I’ve had in Georgia, which isn’t saying too much, but they were good and I’m glad I went. Once.

(Full disclosure, I had people working at the house and just wanted to get away for a while.) 

Tell the whole truth. The workers got tired of your interfering and bossiness. They gave you an ultimatum: Either you leave or they will leave. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Tell the whole truth. The workers got tired of your interfering and bossiness. They gave you an ultimatum: Either you leave or they will leave. :ph34r:

You missed a key element. My wife was working from home that day.  ?

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

She shooed you out because you were interfering with the working men in the house. :ph34r:

OK, my wife was out of town, and I get tired of fending off the housekeepers. I’m not sure if they grasp my english, but I can see it in their eyes. Maybe. Delusions can be fun!  Plus, it was a fantastic excuse to get my beef on weck and wings! I may make it a routine, better food than I expected! 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

OK, my wife was out of town, and I get tired of fending off the housekeepers. I’m not sure if they grasp my english, but I can see it in their eyes. Maybe. Delusions can be fun!  Plus, it was a fantastic excuse to get my beef on weck and wings! I may make it a routine, better food than I expected! 

You are victim of your own grandiosity. The Spanish speaking housekeepers most likely talking and snickering among themselves about their strutting rooster gringo employer who believes his appeal is an uncontrollable gift that spellbinds those in his proximity. :D

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/1/2019 at 8:42 AM, Augie said:

Hey! I haven’t had Duff’s in several decades, and they warn you that the mediums are hot, and the hot are Super hot. I don’t do “I dare you” food. 

I was at a pizza place a while ago and a guy comes in and sits down next to me. He orders 10 hot. They warn him hot is super HOT. (Not sure what they add, but it’s not the regular sauce, but stronger.) He says “that’s what beer is for”. OK. After the first wing I ask how they are. He says “fine”. During the second wing he chokes out “it builds on you.” By the third wing his eyes and nose are running, and he’s ordering two beers at a time. It was hysterical, from MY seat! He’s blowing his nose, with tears running down his face, too ashamed to give up on his 10 wings. I still chuckle when I think of it. 

It turns out the medium was.....just medium. 

Yeah, I never got the opportunity to thank you for laughing at my discomfort. Couldn’t ya even offer a guy some napkins?  

• Haha (+1) 1