New Anchor Bar (Frederick MD)

BobDVA

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I spent 18 years in Sarasota and would move back tomorrow if I could. Yep, lots of WNY folks around, for sure. Try Casa di Pizza off of University Pkwy if you find yourself nearby. 

Well, we have something in common.

i went to school, briefly, down there. 

Loved it.

Many moons ago.

3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Loved it.

Many moons ago.

I have a buddy moving up to Atlanta from there to start a bank. I texted him 90 minutes ago because it was nasty here, but 76 and sunny there. He called me a whiner when I moved up, but now admits he dreads leaving awesome weather for what we have here. His wife doesn’t care, so he’s coming back for the paycheck. He’s talking about walking away from a $7k deposit on a house to stay somewhere warm and sunny. The wife will win. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I spent 18 years in Sarasota and would move back tomorrow if I could. Yep, lots of WNY folks around, for sure. Try Casa di Pizza off of University Pkwy if you find yourself nearby. 

Already found it!  Great pizza, but we go for the "royal" subs.  Loving it here so far.  Played golf this morning and swam in my pool this afternoon.  

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have a buddy moving up to Atlanta from there to start a bank. I texted him 90 minutes ago because it was nasty here, but 76 and sunny there. He called me a whiner when I moved up, but now admits he dreads leaving awesome weather for what we have here. His wife doesn’t care, so he’s coming back for the paycheck. He’s talking about walking away from a $7k deposit on a house to stay somewhere warm and sunny. The wife will win. 

I don't think this is the right forum to be complaining about Atlanta weather!?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

Already found it!  Great pizza, but we go for the "royal" subs.  Loving it here so far.  Played golf this morning and swam in my pool this afternoon.  

I want to come back........   ?

Actually hoping/praying to be able to get a small condo for the prime months in the next year or two. Fingers crossed, nothing fancy, but that’s home to me. I lived there longer than any other place in my life. I left WNY at 17 for college, and spent 18 years in Sarasota. Enjoy, my friend. Appreciate these glorious days! My phone tells me roughly 60-80 every day for the next week. Rough! How did I let that slip away????

Oh, if you get up that way at least once you should try Valentino’s on Clark Rd. The ham, salami and provolone is two meals for me and better than anything I’ve eaten in almost a decade in Atlanta. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillsSB2020 said:

I don't think this is the right forum to be complaining about Atlanta weather!?

So true, but it’s a matter of priorities. My kids say I was scarred by growing up in Buffalo. I think they were right! Standing out there at 6:30am in February with the wind whipping, waiting by myself for the the bus to show so I could be the first guy on the frozen seats....... never mind. I’m trying to cut down on therapy bills. 

Weather matters to me. A LOT!   ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Ironically enough, there was a sports bar in that location prior to Anchor Bar. You'd think they would've learned their lesson. Not visible from the road/no signage and at the back of Stony Point Fashion Park where nobody could see it was a bad idea. Hard to find unless you knew what you were looking for or have been to that mall before.  A lot of people didn't even know it was there. That, coupled with the poor service, substandard food, and high prices sealed its fate from the start. 

Stony Point seems to be OK for the more "upscale" restaurants, but the Anchor Bar may have had a fighting chance if it was somewhere in the Short Pump area.   As usual, nobody asked us!

13 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Stony Point seems to be OK for the more "upscale" restaurants, but the Anchor Bar may have had a fighting chance if it was somewhere in the Short Pump area.   As usual, nobody asked us!

I certainly think Short Pump may have helped but they still had other non-location issues to rectify, as well. Unfortunately, we'll never know if a better location would have saved them.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:00 PM, Chill said:

The anchor sold out when they started franchising. 

Opened one in Rochester, it was so bad, it closed in less than a year. 

Product is terrible and unfortunately the emblems on the wall are the only thing that resembles Buffalo in the place. 

Not recomended. Not even the original. 

Yea the anchor bar in Rochester was awful, that said, I think almost everything that has been in that building has been bad for years. I'd never order food there.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

On 2/16/2019 at 8:00 PM, Chill said:

The anchor sold out when they started franchising. 

Opened one in Rochester, it was so bad, it closed in less than a year. 

Product is terrible and unfortunately the emblems on the wall are the only thing that resembles Buffalo in the place. 

Not recomended. Not even the original. 

Sad, but true. I don't even bother when I visit my parents anymore. I still make it to Towne restaurant on allen st. though.

6 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The negatives here are unfortunate.  Very few of these places survive.  It's either because of the quality of the food, the lack of familiarity with the food, dearth of ex-Buffalonians in the area, location, or a combination of the above.  But some of these places were sorta neat.  For instance, there was a bar in Old Town Alexandria, VA called the Penalty Box.  It was owned by a former Sabre who drew a lot of penalties during his career.  It even had seating in penalty boxes.  But it had negatives as well, such as the food and being on the second floor of a building.  Charlie the Butcher should come to the DC vicinity (where Frederick, MD is) more than once a year.

Give us some positives.

Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA has been going for quite a while. Has a lot of genuine Buffalo food. Haven't been back in a while but at least it has lasted.

5 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA has been going for quite a while. Has a lot of genuine Buffalo food. Haven't been back in a while but at least it has lasted.

Surviving is better than most F&B operations can brag about. There were certain rules about lending back in my banking days. Restaurants were right up there with unsecured loans to contractors. There was a reason for that. 

Hats off to those who manage to survive! That’s awesome. 

8 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I've never been but I've driven past a few times.

Location Location Location  

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I want to come back........   ?

Actually hoping/praying to be able to get a small condo for the prime months in the next year or two. Fingers crossed, nothing fancy, but that’s home to me. I lived there longer than any other place in my life. I left WNY at 17 for college, and spent 18 years in Sarasota. Enjoy, my friend. Appreciate these glorious days! My phone tells me roughly 60-80 every day for the next week. Rough! How did I let that slip away????

Oh, if you get up that way at least once you should try Valentino’s on Clark Rd. The ham, salami and provolone is two meals for me and better than anything I’ve eaten in almost a decade in Atlanta. 

Thanks very much for the recommendation. We will definitely check out Valentino's and will certainly think of you.  We are in Sarasota for various reason fairly frequently.  Best to you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Loved it.

Many moons ago.

I am sure Bradenton, where my grandparents, great aunt and cousins live is NOWHERE NEAR the way it was in the late 80s.Where my grandparents lived off of the Manatee River, the roads weren't even paved but sandy dirt roads.

• Like (+1) 1