New Anchor Bar (Frederick MD)

BobDVA

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Where in Florida are you? You may have some nice Bills options there. Bills Country South. 

I am in North Port.  There are a number of options here.  I have hooked up with the local Bills Backers and and watched several games this past season at the local watering hole which is very close to my house. Lots of transplanted WNYs around here.

14 hours ago, BobDVA said:

You have no idea how excited I am to see the inside wall of the new Anchor Bar opening in Frederick Maryland.

Beef on a Weck and no one will look at me like an alien when I order one!

51068825_1165684060302919_5517937900433440768_n.jpg

Image result for kramer gif

Brother lives an hour away from Fredrick in Severn.  Psyched to hear about this.  Disappointing to hear other franchises failed, especially if they aren’t training at the original.  

Throwing beef-on-weck, Labatts, and “Buffalo” wings on a menu doesn’t make it good.  Gotta do it right, expatriates know the difference.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BobDVA said:

You have no idea how excited I am to see the inside wall of the new Anchor Bar opening in Frederick Maryland.

Beef on a Weck and no one will look at me like an alien when I order one!

That looks very promising BUT what's the location like?  We had one fail in Richmond, but it had a really stupid location.  If it's in a good spot AND they train their staff (which almost never happens), it could be successful.  Hope it is very successful.

9 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

NOTHING will ever top the Township Grille in Matthews, NC... in the 90s, it was THE place to be for Buffalo sports with wings, beef on weck, the whole 9 yards. The owner, Kirk, was from Tonawanda. Then he sold it and it was never the same.

The memories...

?

Was that in a plaza off of independence?

Thank you for all the critiques. When I’m back in town, Duffs is my preference. But being an out of Stater now, ANYWHERE that offers Beef on Weck with a Buffalo theme is a place I’ll visit. I hope they heed the critiques and up their game. I’m willing to pay a little more for the experience.

14 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Is that the Market Street exit off of I-270?

Thanks

Exit  31 A from the west 

Its all muscle memory for me.  From Brunswick take 340 West to 70 / 270 cross a lane and take the latter of the first exit. B then A

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

I am in North Port.  There are a number of options here.  I have hooked up with the local Bills Backers and and watched several games this past season at the local watering hole which is very close to my house. Lots of transplanted WNYs around here.

I spent 18 years in Sarasota and would move back tomorrow if I could. Yep, lots of WNY folks around, for sure. Try Casa di Pizza off of University Pkwy if you find yourself nearby. 

14 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Has it been there for at least 15 years? I used to travel and went to a lot of bills bars while on road and one in vegas was awesome.

I'm pretty sure Naked City Pizza in Las Vegas opened up about 5 or so years ago, but not 100 percent sure. I don't think it's been there for 15 years so you're probably thinking of a different spot.

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I didn’t want people to think I’m an advertisement as I have no stake, but it is called Mothers, in zip code 33626 of Tampa.  Not only BOW, but also phenomenal wings, and they use Prime Rib vs. Roast Beef for the sandwiches.  Every friend I’ve brought there loved it.  It’s not a cheap restaurant, but is a very fair price,

i’ve moved away from beer these past years, so I would imagine they probably have Labatts, but again not sure.  Their entire menu is great, and game day is really fun.  So much fun that even though I have the Ticket, will often go there for the first half to hang with Buffalo transplants, and get my BOW.  Can’t forget the Woodford Reserve on. The rocks, with two limes.  The best is when you treat the glass like a Margherita, but instead of salt, you use raw sugar cane.  Turn upside down, then add what I mentioned.  Adding soda, or anything else to Woodford is blasphemy,  Only one as driving, but great sipping whiskey.  Not cheap anywhere as high end.  As much as I’m Irish, I prefer it over Jameson’s.  The only one better for you Irish Bills fans is Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey.  It’s a tradition in my family for generations it is broken out after the funeral breakfast for a family member lost, and after all the crying, we honor them with a sip of the aforementioned, a toast, and telling funny stories about them.  Sorry for the tangent, but if you ever get a chance for that drink, you will love it.

BTW- I know where Fredrick, MA is located as I took my oldest son on recruiting trips to Mt. St. Mary’s as they were offering a full ride in lax, and Division 1.  He declined, but a really nice place to visit.

Although i am not irish i do like a tequila every once & again & thanks for the heads up on the place if i get there this yr maybe we can do a shot during aa Bills game with some wings or a BOW . 

GO BILLS !! 

19 hours ago, boater said:

As a Buffalo Outpost: I wish them much success.

I hope the Beef on Weck is a hand carved slow roasted Top Round. As opposed to the food service sliced roast beef that some places use.

I'm sure the wings will be fine... that's how the Frank and Theresa franchise rolls.

If it's true buffalonian BOW....then they get it shipped down in sealed bags from JH Dodman Meats on Michigan St. Dodman is also the supplier for Andersons.

The negatives here are unfortunate.  Very few of these places survive.  It's either because of the quality of the food, the lack of familiarity with the food, dearth of ex-Buffalonians in the area, location, or a combination of the above.  But some of these places were sorta neat.  For instance, there was a bar in Old Town Alexandria, VA called the Penalty Box.  It was owned by a former Sabre who drew a lot of penalties during his career.  It even had seating in penalty boxes.  But it had negatives as well, such as the food and being on the second floor of a building.  Charlie the Butcher should come to the DC vicinity (where Frederick, MD is) more than once a year.

17 hours ago, Hurricane said:

Anchor Bar sucks... So does duffs...

Give us some positives.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

1 hour ago, T master said:

Although i am not irish i do like a tequila every once & again & thanks for the heads up on the place if i get there this yr maybe we can do a shot during aa Bills game with some wings or a BOW . 

GO BILLS !! 

I’d love it T.

I’ll send you a pm with my name and phone number.

8 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

That looks very promising BUT what's the location like?  We had one fail in Richmond, but it had a really stupid location.  If it's in a good spot AND they train their staff (which almost never happens), it could be successful.  Hope it is very successful.

Ironically enough, there was a sports bar in that location prior to Anchor Bar. You'd think they would've learned their lesson. Not visible from the road/no signage and at the back of Stony Point Fashion Park where nobody could see it was a bad idea. Hard to find unless you knew what you were looking for or have been to that mall before.  A lot of people didn't even know it was there. That, coupled with the poor service, substandard food, and high prices sealed its fate from the start.