RIP Bruno Ganz

Kelly the Dog

A truly great Swiss actor who appeared in a lot of German films. You guys probably know him best as the Hitler from "Downfall" in the Internet memes/parodies with Hitler going crazy about the Bills trades, and other stories. But he was fantastic in Wings of Desire, and An American Friend by Wim Wenders, and a dozen other foreign films. He was also in the crappy remake of The Manchurian Candidate, as well as The Boys From Brazil. Extraordinary actor who will be missed.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A truly great Swiss actor who appeared in a lot of German films. You guys probably know him best as the Hitler from "Downfall" in the Internet memes/parodies with Hitler going crazy about the Bills trades, and other stories. But he was fantastic in Wings of Desire, and An American Friend by Wim Wenders, and a dozen other foreign films. He was also in the crappy remake of The Manchurian Candidate, as well as The Boys From Brazil. Extraordinary actor who will be missed.

The American Friend is Hopper's best film IMO.  I had no clue it was Ganz until a few years back after wanting to know more about the guy playing Hitler in all those memes.  Great performance by Ganz as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, stony said:

The American Friend is Hopper's best film IMO.  I had no clue it was Ganz until a few years back after wanting to know more about the guy playing Hitler in all those memes.  Great performance by Ganz as well.  

Hopper was good in a lot of movies, but yes, really great in The American Friend. Wenders is an incredible director.

18 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agree.  In another thread I said I thought Ganz was brilliant and his role as Hitler is an all-time performance. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Wings of Desire is probably his best movie although you cannot go wrong with Downfall, which may be his best performance. Desire was one of the best films in the 1980s.

Thnx. I will look for it.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I am going to honor him by watching Downfall and Boys From Brazil.

51 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Wings of Desire is probably his best movie although you cannot go wrong with Downfall, which may be his best performance. Desire was one of the best films in the 1980s.

I thought of Boys From Brazil cause I saw it when it came out. A couple years later I saw it again with a friend and housemate at SUNY Albany who grew up with Steve Guttenberg. They were good buds in high school on L.I. and went to Albany together. Guttenberg left after a year to be an actor. He gets killed in one of the first scenes I think.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I thought of Boys From Brazil cause I saw it when it came out. A couple years later I saw it again with a friend and housemate at SUNY Albany who grew up with Steve Guttenberg. They were good buds in high school on L.I. and went to Albany together. Guttenberg left after a year to be an actor. He gets killed in one of the first scenes I think.

They should have killed him off before the movie. ;)

• Haha (+1) 1