LeSean McCoy

After Clay's Release, Do You Think Lesean McCoy is next?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. What happens with McCoy now?

• Yes. His days as a Bill are numbered. Release is inevitable.
    • He still has trade value. So trade him (to, say, Philly) this off-season.
    • No. There is still gas left in the tank. So keep him as a Bill for the coming season.

10 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

So you're saying when is a bad contract not a bad contract?

For the most part...but if we were in cap trouble,I'm sure I would feel differently.But that's not the case,#3 in money and owners that want to spend to create a football playing machine.

Well considering our FO has repeatedly said he’s part of their plans, I have no reason to doubt at this point he won’t be.  So until I hear something different from Beane/McD, I’m moving forward assuming he will be part of the team until at least camp and they can start deeer evaluating how he is playing with the new OL additions.  

I do expect them to draft a RB in like 3rd or 4th round though, maybe someone explosive like Love or Henderson that can be a Kamara or Cohen type player.  

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They're paying him $6.1M, not that I think that changes your point.

My point is, the Bills have no financial driver to release him.  His salary does not become guaranteed until the 1st day of the new season (not the league year).  They are not paying him a bonus.  They have gobs of cap space.

If someone offers them something, they can listen.  If not, they can see how it rolls during OTA and preseason and cut him when they have someone better.

They don't have to make a choice "keep Shady/sign 2 good role player RBs or another good RB" - yet.

Didn't realize it is not guaranteed till regular season. If true, your argument makes sense.

But that makes a trade also more likely since a team trading for him has nothing to lose.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

McCoy has great football instincts and good hands... If he gets good blocking, he can still run between the tackles to make his dekes for long runs... If he still has the desire to play and can keep focused... the last years of his career can be in Buffalo...

Edited by Believer
Spelling error

We can't just release the whole offense. McCoy has certainly lost a step, but we have so many holes to fill on this roster that we will never be able to fill them all in one offseason no matter how much we spend. There just isn't enough offensive talent available in FA and the draft to upgrade everywhere we need it and to replace Kyle. bolster the CB position and improve the pass rush. We need 3 new starters that are big upgrades for the OL and at least 2 WR's as well as a new starting TE. Ivory may be replaced too. I am starting to think this rebuild will take 2 more years at least.

I voted to keep him as doing so will show that valued veterans will not just be jettisoned just over money.

That said, if there is ANY off-season nonsense with him this year, he should go.  As a veteran, he needs to start conducting himself as a leader both on and off the field.  The OL post during the NCAA title game is not encouraging though.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

We can't just release the whole offense. McCoy has certainly lost a step, but we have so many holes to fill on this roster that we will never be able to fill them all in one offseason no matter how much we spend. There just isn't enough offensive talent available in FA and the draft to upgrade everywhere we need it and to replace Kyle. bolster the CB position and improve the pass rush. We need 3 new starters that are big upgrades for the OL and at least 2 WR's as well as a new starting TE. Ivory may be replaced too. I am starting to think this rebuild will take 2 more years at least.

How hard is it to replace 2 rbs? Plenty of good options in fa and the 9 million in cap savings would be enough to replace them both with quality players. Like you said he has certainly lost a step and he was the highest paid rb in the league last year. Will be 3rd this year, a lot of money spent on the most expensive, oldest, least productive unit in the league. Definitely time for a change imo and it shouldn't take 2 yrs.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting question.

We take a $2.6M dead cap hit for trading or cutting Shady.  He is not scheduled for a roster bonus or any guarantees triggered by the start of the new league year.

We pay him $6.1M on a per-game basis, for a $9M cap hit if we keep him.

Given that, I see no reason why the Bills would release him.  What is the downside to them keeping him on the roster through the end of pre-season?  I don't see one.

Now if his legal case heats up and he turns into a headache, perhaps.

Otherwise, he seems to work well with Allen.  IMO Allen learned some slick rushing moves from Shady, and Shady seemed at times to be serving as a player/coach in the backfield.  So he might have value to the team beyond his rushing abilities, certainly through pre-season.

Nice point..

I think Shady had better be training hard this off season and that he reports to camp in the best possible shape..I’m not sure that was the case in 2018 with his off field “distractions”.. 

He is going to be under scrutiny and will be getting a bit of work during the  preseason games..

No need to hurry to make the call about cutting him in my view before the final roster trimming takes place..

Others here have made up their minds it seems but I think they will give him every opportunity to show if he still has it.

12 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Its called eye test. Can you really say that watching Shady run that he was anything that he had been in the past? If disagree with you.  I have to believe you judge by the numbers and not by what was seen on the field. I hope he has a bounce back year. He was not in the least bit explosive in 18 and he did not cut like he had which BTW is what made McCoy who he has been his whole career.  Without the ability to cut he is no longer a good RB

I agree, his cutting ability and burst are gone. RB's like Shady don't last long once they lose it. The life and excitement that Thurman Thomas brought to this franchise with a young Jim Kelly needs to be recreated. Thurman Thomas was such a monster leading the league in all purpose yards all those years. It makes you really rethink the value of the RB position. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, his cutting ability and burst are gone. RB's like Shady don't last long once they lose it. The life and excitement that Thurman Thomas brought to this franchise with a young Jim Kelly needs to be recreated. Thurman Thomas was such a monster leading the league in all purpose yards all those years. It makes you really rethink the value of the RB position. 

Is there another Thurman Thomas available in this years draft?

16 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Is there another Thurman Thomas available in this years draft?

I'm not sure, I just rewatched the Bills vs Giants super bowl and I miss Thurman so much. I still think he is easily in the conversation for best RB ever. Without Thurman there is no way we go to 4 Super Bowls. I think Shady is pretty much done and I'm only bringing up Thurman because I just watched that SB and realized how valuable an elite RB really is. People who think you can just draft a RB in the 3rd or 5th rd and think you will get Pro Bowl like production are kidding themselves. I know the position has changed and it's more of a rotational type setup now  but I still think a strong stable of RB's is still the best route to the playoffs.

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm not sure, I just rewatched the Bills vs Giants super bowl and I miss Thurman so much. I still think he is easily in the conversation for best RB ever. Without Thurman there is no way we go to 4 Super Bowls. I think Shady is pretty much done and I'm only bringing up Thurman because I just watched that SB and realized how valuable an elite RB really is. People who think you can just draft a RB in the 3rd or 5th rd and think you will get Pro Bowl like production are kidding themselves. I know the position has changed and it's more of a rotational type setup now  but I still think a strong stable of RB's is still the best route to the playoffs.

Thurman is one of the best 3 or 4 players to ever play for the Bills..

It makes sense to want another guy like that... unfortunately players like him  are few and far between, and it’s unlikely that the Bills are going to find that guy when they get around to picking a RB on the third day.. 

I just want them to find a guy that can be part of the longer term plans and maybe even see a 2nd contract down the road.. I don’t think that what they do with Shady this year need impact on that..

I think Shady stays as veteran leadership on an offense that will be revamped this year with many new players.  Who is the veteran leadership on offense if not Shady?  Allen has great leadership traits but is only a second year player.  Is there a solid veteran leader on the O-line?  Nope.  Who’s the veteran wide receiver?  Ummmm....  

You need to have veteran leadership and by all accounts Allen and Shady have a great relationship and Shady has bought into the Process.  Shady is not the player he once was, but he is still respected in the locker room and around the league.  Keep him as a third down back and keep him for veteran leadership.  It will be money well spent.

Edited by Inigo Montoya