LeSean McCoy

After Clay's Release, Do You Think Lesean McCoy is next?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. What happens with McCoy now?

• Yes. His days as a Bill are numbered. Release is inevitable.
    • He still has trade value. So trade him (to, say, Philly) this off-season.
    • No. There is still gas left in the tank. So keep him as a Bill for the coming season.

12 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Dead Man Walking!

ouch.

i would think differently if McBeanes had not already stated they have him in their plans moving forward.
as some mentioned we need a younger infusion at RB. for sure !
 But i feel he still has enough to offer to break some even when the defenses are respecting him on the field

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Shady is a shell of himself. That said if Beane and McD say they have plans for him in 2019 then they have plans for him. Nuff said for me.

Are you judging him on his '18 season? If so,I couldn't name a rb in the league that would have been productive with our o-line in front of him.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

ouch.

i would think differently if McBeanes had not already stated they have him in their plans moving forward.
as some mentioned we need a younger infusion at RB. for sure !
 But i feel he still has enough to offer to break some even when the defenses are respecting him on the field

Shady still thinks he can run side to side, before making his famous break.  Sadly those days are in the past.  IF McBeane sees an opportunity, he will be cut/traded, despite the official "happy talk!".

35 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Are you judging him on his '18 season? If so,I couldn't name a rb in the league that would have been productive with our o-line in front of him.

Its called eye test. Can you really say that watching Shady run that he was anything that he had been in the past? If disagree with you.  I have to believe you judge by the numbers and not by what was seen on the field. I hope he has a bounce back year. He was not in the least bit explosive in 18 and he did not cut like he had which BTW is what made McCoy who he has been his whole career.  Without the ability to cut he is no longer a good RB

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Its called eye test. Can you really say that watching Shady run that he was anything that he had been in the past? If disagree with you.  I have to believe you judge by the numbers and not by what was seen on the field. I hope he has a bounce back year. He was not in the least bit explosive in 18 and he did not cut like he had which BTW is what made McCoy who he has been his whole career.  Without the ability to cut he is no longer a good RB

I still want one more year with him running behind a much better line....but I get your point,88.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

I still want one more year with him running behind a much better line....but I get your point,88.

Agree, with a short leash. I would rather he got less carries if he doesn't improve on his 3.2yards per carry. That is not good. Especially when Marcus Murphy averaged 4.8 and Ford 3.8. They are not "greats" but he is. Also, I want him in training camp playing in games. Even if it is a snap or 2.

BTW, LGM!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting question.

We take a $2.6M dead cap hit for trading or cutting Shady.  He is not scheduled for a roster bonus or any guarantees triggered by the start of the new league year.

We pay him $6.1M on a per-game basis, for a $9M cap hit if we keep him.

Given that, I see no reason why the Bills would release him.  What is the downside to them keeping him on the roster through the end of pre-season?  I don't see one.

Now if his legal case heats up and he turns into a headache, perhaps.

Otherwise, he seems to work well with Allen.  IMO Allen learned some slick rushing moves from Shady, and Shady seemed at times to be serving as a player/coach in the backfield.  So he might have value to the team beyond his rushing abilities, certainly through pre-season.

That you can get a pretty solid RB at 6.1m and if you get any return on him it may be a good time to make the move 

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

he can be a contributor but not a focal point any more. If he cannot accept this we should,as a courtesy, attempt a trade with a team he'd like to play for. Failing that, outright release.

You cant pay a role player running back 9m

you can get two good role players for that 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

That you can get a pretty solid RB at 6.1m and if you get any return on him it may be a good time to make the move 

Kind of a moot point to bring up Shady and his contract when we are 85 m under the cap...hell bring in another 6 m dollar back and keep him...we have that luxury.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You cant pay a role player running back 9m

you can get two good role players for that 

They're paying him $6.1M, not that I think that changes your point.

My point is, the Bills have no financial driver to release him.  His salary does not become guaranteed until the 1st day of the new season (not the league year).  They are not paying him a bonus.  They have gobs of cap space.

If someone offers them something, they can listen.  If not, they can see how it rolls during OTA and preseason and cut him when they have someone better.

They don't have to make a choice "keep Shady/sign 2 good role player RBs or another good RB" - yet.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My point is, the Bills have no financial driver to release him.  His salary does not become guaranteed until the 1st day of the new season (not the league year).  They are not paying him a bonus.  They have gobs of cap space.

If someone offers them something, they can listen.  If not, they can see how it rolls during OTA and preseason and cut him when they have someone better.

Touche and I tend to agree with the keep til you replace sentiments but he’s someone I’d be actively looking to replace potentially. Could we save money with a mark ingram type and flip a mid round pick for shady into a productive young guy for instance?

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They don't have to make a choice "keep Shady/sign 2 good role player RBs or another good RB" - yet.

My only quibble with this would be that if they were to invest what's likely required at the position, McCoy will see the writing on the wall. Not that he has any choice, but it could cause some issues at camp. I generally agree with keep him until you find a replacement, but I'd hate to see distractions at camp. I suppose you just cut him if he were to make any waves.

35 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Touche and I tend to agree with the keep til you replace sentiments but he’s someone I’d be actively looking to replace potentially. Could we save money with a mark ingram type and flip a mid round pick for shady into a productive young guy for instance?

I don't think Shady is trade-able.

I mean if you want a veteran RB Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore are free agents who had much better seasons......... and they will probably have to sign for league min again! ($1M but only $600K counts against the cap).

You want a veteran scat-back........Sproles is more versatile and also coming off a better year.    Another vet minimum guy.

Why would a team looking for veteran back pay Shady $6M?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Keep him. If we fix the OL like I expect us to then I expect Shady to have a solid bounce-back year where he totals 1,500 yards from scrimmage. You could see this year the burst is still there he just had absolutely 0 lanes. Defenses keyed on him when he was on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think Shady is trade-able.

I mean if you want a veteran RB Adrian Peterson and Frank Gore are free agents who had much better seasons......... and they will probably have to sign for league min again! ($1M but only $600K counts against the cap).

You want a veteran scat-back........Sproles is more versatile and also coming off a better year.    Another vet minimum guy.

Why would a team looking for veteran back pay Shady $6M?

Touché. I’ve held my midseason stance and it may be expired now 

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Should of traded him this past season 

I agree, but since they didn’t, I’d like to see him in a 3rd down/pass catching roll. I think we missed our shot on a trade.

There will be very good backs available in the 4th and 5th. I think Shadys days as a feature back are over.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...jeez Yolo, not sure if I can agree.....outgained by his QB with the same suspect line......30 years old and due $6 mil.......Peterson at 33 signed for vet minimum ($1.015 mil) with Deadskins and rushed for 1,042.......

A QB running on a broken passing play is NOT the same thing as a RB during a running play.  There are open lanes because of pass rushers on a passing play.  How many

of Allen's yards came on a planned run?  The offensive line was horrid.  It's why all of the RBs didn't do much consistently, and why Allen had as many running yards as he did.

• Like (+1) 1