2019 Draft Hypothetical Go Big !! Call Me Crazy But the Cards Should Do This .

T master

Although this has nothing to do with our beloved Bills team i was wondering after reading a couple of articles if this scenario could play out in this years draft which would or could be one big OMG moment that could put this draft down as one for the ages .

With a bunch of teams looking for a franchise QB this year due to injury or cap cuts due to a lot of cash due to a player that hasn't proven to be more than a average QB in the NFL , if you were the Cards would you pull off a big trade ignorer to get a hyped QB & the possibility of 2 number one picks ?

Arizona sits at number 1 & last year had picked their franchise QB in the draft but that HC is now gone, now in this years draft while sitting at #1 a heisman trophy winning QB in Kyler Murray that is as good as his predecessor Baker Mayfield (which was this yrs ROTY) in most every way is there for the taking .

With some teams in desperate need of a QB NYG at 6, Jacksonville at #7, Miami at #13, & Washington at #15, do you think any of these teams might be willing to trade for one Josh Rosen for their first round pick in order to get a possible franchise QB of the future for a rookie contract ? I know the for the Giants a #6 might be a bit high but the Cards might give back another say 3rd round pick & Jacksonville with the cluster F that they have with their QB & the $$ tied up there they may be tempted to do the same .

But this sets up with the talk of the Fins getting rid of Tanehill & given what has happened with Washington to Smith and given Snyders past with going big or go home moves this might be the perfect spot & yr for this to happen .

Arizona is not only sitting in the drivers seat as far as the first over all pick but if Kingsbury which at one point raved about Murray is one of the coaches of the future & has any guts would make this happen not only to give his team a great player for the future but the possibility of 2 first round picks either this yr or 2 in another draft, talk about a first yr HC making his mark in the NFL even if he did fall on his face this move would be one for the ages !! 

Go big or go home Kingsbury !!  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018077/article/cardinals-should-deal-josh-rosen-pick-kyler-murray-in-nfl-draft

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/10/18176792/kliff-kingsbury-kyler-murray-2019-nfl-draft-no-1-overall-good-news-kliff

Edited by T master

I don't get all the hype on Murray. He's not Baker. I think the combine and pre-draft visits will sort it all out and Murray drops to the bottom half of the first or from 9-14 if someone is really desperate.  Haskins, Lock, Jones, Murray come off the board in that order. The truth is that none of these guys deserve to be a Top 5 pick and I don't see this playing out like last years crop of rookies.

I see Haskins having marginal success and the rest falling into Rosen type years, if they play at all. I think most bridge backups will have better command of an offense then this group.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 1

If you evaluate Haskins or Murray to be better than Rosen and someone is willing to give you halfway decent value for Rosen then you make the trade and take the QB you think is better than him.

Frankly, given what rookie QBs cost and the importance of the position, if there's a chance you aren't sold on Rosen, take the guy you like and let him battle it out with Rosen.

This is a really interesting topic, thank you for the post.  In looking at the situation, a new HC with a chance to write his own story tells me your hypothesis has merit.

The Cardinals have a few pieces, but tons of holes to fill.  The Josh Rosen pick last year was pretty much a failed experiment.  So the question becomes does Kingsbury go with Murray to rebuild, trade Rosen to a team like Denver (long-term after Flacco), Washington (Alex Smith is done), Miami (are they more interested in tanking for 2020 QB').

Also, what must be considered is the need to draw fans to their stadium.  Fans are not going to be motivated to fill the seats with a first round edge rusher and Josh Rosen at QB.

If I was the GM of the Cardinals I would put Rosen on the market and see what offers I would receive and then select whichever QB best fits the new direction of the head coach and use the additional picks to start rebuilding the roster.

Based on where they are at with their current personnel and the level of competitiveness of the other teams in their division a say being a contender by 2021 is the goal.

50 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

This is a really interesting topic, thank you for the post.  In looking at the situation, a new HC with a chance to write his own story tells me your hypothesis has merit.

The Cardinals have a few pieces, but tons of holes to fill.  The Josh Rosen pick last year was pretty much a failed experiment.  So the question becomes does Kingsbury go with Murray to rebuild, trade Rosen to a team like Denver (long-term after Flacco), Washington (Alex Smith is done), Miami (are they more interested in tanking for 2020 QB').

Also, what must be considered is the need to draw fans to their stadium.  Fans are not going to be motivated to fill the seats with a first round edge rusher and Josh Rosen at QB.

If I was the GM of the Cardinals I would put Rosen on the market and see what offers I would receive and then select whichever QB best fits the new direction of the head coach and use the additional picks to start rebuilding the roster.

Based on where they are at with their current personnel and the level of competitiveness of the other teams in their division a say being a contender by 2021 is the goal.

Saying Rosen is a failed experiment is like saying the bread has failed because it hasn't risen ... before you put it in the oven. Way way way way too early. With maybe two or three more way's.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Saying Rosen is a failed experiment is like saying the bread has failed because it hasn't risen ... before you put it in the oven. Way way way way too early. With maybe two or three more way's.

If we look only at the year 1 results Rosen was by light years worse then any of the other 1st round picks.

His style is a classic dropback QB, limited mobility kind of guy.  That means he needs a solid offensive line and good personnel at the skill positions to flourish.  The Cardinals have a horrid offensive line, limited weapons on the outside or at TE.  David Johnson is wasted in the current situation and the Cardinals need more picks to build the roster.

They can try and trade down but teams trading up for a QB can give up far less to come up to picks 3,4, or 5.  So, what options are they left with?

Keep the 1st pick and draft Nick Bosa or Josh Allen.

That does little to improve the team in 2019, does not generate much fan support and puts the Cardinals in a long rebuild.

Keep the 1st pick, select the QB they like best, and put Rosen on the block.

By drafting a QB first, it lowers Rosens trade market value as the Cardinals are then almost forced to deal him for less then market value.

Trade Rosen for the best offer and select their new QB to build around.

This is the pathway I actually think they are going to go.  It makes the most sense in both the short term and the longer term rebuilding.

Rosen had a horrible O Line, probably even worse than ours, so I see them trading out as there is always someone in the market for #1, and fill the line and several other holes.

Im no Rosen fan, but he had a defensive minded coach on a terrible line and is smaller in stature than some others, so they have to build a team.  They should have never fired Arians.  He took them from the year before 5-11, and bad before that after Warner said goodbye to three years of double digit wins and playoffs.

I’m excited for my Bucs ( after my Bills ), as you’ll see an even better offense out of the Bucs this year.  Now can they pick up in free agency and the draft a defensive line backing Corp outside of David, and draft for an overhaul of the secondary.  They rated most of the season as #1 or 2 in offense almost the entire year.  They just sucked on defense.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Rosen had a horrible O Line, probably even worse than ours, so I see them trading out as there is always someone in the market for #1, and fill the line and several other holes.

Im no Rosen fan, but he had a defensive minded coach on a terrible line and is smaller in stature than some others, so they have to build a team.  They should have never fired Arians.  He took them from the year before 5-11, and bad before that after Warner said goodbye to three years of double digit wins and playoffs.

I’m excited for my Bucs ( after my Bills ), as you’ll see an even better offense out of the Bucs this year.  Now can they pick up in free agency and the draft a defensive line backing Corp outside of David, and draft for an overhaul of the secondary.  They rated most of the season as #1 or 2 in offense almost the entire year.  They just sucked on defense.

Hey Bucs fan, like the offense if Winston dosent self-destruct.  Defense did draft a number of secondary players last year and they did gain experience.  Will Gerald McCoy be released to gain cap space?  Do you resign disappointing T Donovan Smith?  What are your thoughts for the Bucs pick at 5?

Well, first I live in Tampa for over 20 years so of course I’m a Bucs fan, but make no mistake I bleed Red White and Royal Blue and grew up on South Park Ave. and went to St. Francis.  I just wanted to clear up for anyone else I’m not a Bucs fan on a Bills website.  

The only time Im in conflict is once every four years and every eight years I have my Bills jersey on in the Bucs home game.

As far as #5 it’s a toss up.  They a,ready have a highly productive offense as stated above, but have the pics to pick the top CB in the draft or OLB.  I know they invested in defense last year, but I would keep putting resources throughout the draft on defense like I hope we invest heavily in offense.

It’s too bad the Bucs only have $15 mil in cap space and maybe they move on from McCoy, but hope not as he is $13 mil on the cap.  If that does happen, I can see them reach for AB.  He was a stud under Arians in the past, and responds well to him.  The team could make it happen if they want move things around with their cap.  I can’t even imagine a team with AB, Mike Evans, OJ woward and company with a solid O Line.  If Winston can’t make it happen and take another step forward, they’ll cut him and start again.

Totally hypothetical, but a Bills defense including coaching and a Bucs offense, and we would have given the Pats a run for their money.  Not that they would win, but they would have been phenomenal games.

Most people don’t watch the Bucs up north and understood, but they were dynamic on offense.  So there is my answer, but the draft is a crap shoot as we don’t even know who each team picks up in the first and second round of free agency.  Bowles proved to be a better DC in Arizona, vs. Smith who made things too complicated.

Anyway, although I made a comment on the Bucs, I know we are here to discuss the Bills.  I appreciate you’re question and a Trey White CB is desperately needed down here.

5 hours ago, T master said:

Although this has nothing to do with our beloved Bills team i was wondering after reading a couple of articles if this scenario could play out in this years draft which would or could be one big OMG moment that could put this draft down as one for the ages .

With a bunch of teams looking for a franchise QB this year due to injury or cap cuts due to a lot of cash due to a player that hasn't proven to be more than a average QB in the NFL , if you were the Cards would you pull off a big trade ignorer to get a hyped QB & the possibility of 2 number one picks ?

Arizona sits at number 1 & last year had picked their franchise QB in the draft but that HC is now gone, now in this years draft while sitting at #1 a heisman trophy winning QB in Kyler Murray that is as good as his predecessor Baker Mayfield (which was this yrs ROTY) in most every way is there for the taking .

With some teams in desperate need of a QB NYG at 6, Jacksonville at #7, Miami at #13, & Washington at #15, do you think any of these teams might be willing to trade for one Josh Rosen for their first round pick in order to get a possible franchise QB of the future for a rookie contract ? I know the for the Giants a #6 might be a bit high but the Cards might give back another say 3rd round pick & Jacksonville with the cluster F that they have with their QB & the $$ tied up there they may be tempted to do the same .

But this sets up with the talk of the Fins getting rid of Tanehill & given what has happened with Washington to Smith and given Snyders past with going big or go home moves this might be the perfect spot & yr for this to happen .

Arizona is not only sitting in the drivers seat as far as the first over all pick but if Kingsbury which at one point raved about Murray is one of the coaches of the future & has any guts would make this happen not only to give his team a great player for the future but the possibility of 2 first round picks either this yr or 2 in another draft, talk about a first yr HC making his mark in the NFL even if he did fall on his face this move would be one for the ages !! 

Go big or go home Kingsbury !!  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018077/article/cardinals-should-deal-josh-rosen-pick-kyler-murray-in-nfl-draft

Mayfield>Murray

Darnold>Murray

Allen>Murray

41 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, first I live in Tampa for over 20 years so of course I’m a Bucs fan, but make no mistake I bleed Red White and Royal Blue and grew up on South Park Ave. and went to St. Francis.  I just wanted to clear up for anyone else I’m not a Bucs fan on a Bills website.  

The only time Im in conflict is once every four years and every eight years I have my Bills jersey on in the Bucs home game.

Well, I understand----I vacation at my brother in laws condo in Largo. The number of people from western NY in Gulf area is amazing, Go to a Rays game when the Yankees are playing & half the people have Yankee gear on.

As far as #5 it’s a toss up.  They a,ready have a highly productive offense as stated above, but have the pics to pick the top CB in the draft or OLB.  I know they invested in defense last year, but I would keep putting resources throughout the draft on defense like I hope we invest heavily in offense.

It’s too bad the Bucs only have $15 mil in cap space and maybe they move on from McCoy, but hope not as he is $13 mil on the cap.  If that does happen, I can see them reach for AB.  He was a stud under Arians in the past, and responds well to him.  The team could make it happen if they want move things around with their cap.  I can’t even imagine a team with AB, Mike Evans, OJ woward and company with a solid O Line.  If Winston can’t make it happen and take another step forward, they’ll cut him and start again.

Totally hypothetical, but a Bills defense including coaching and a Bucs offense, and we would have given the Pats a run for their money.  Not that they would win, but they would have been phenomenal games.

Most people don’t watch the Bucs up north and understood, but they were dynamic on offense.  So there is my answer, but the draft is a crap shoot as we don’t even know who each team picks up in the first and second round of free agency.  Bowles proved to be a better DC in Arizona, vs. Smith who made things too complicated.

Anyway, although I made a comment on the Bucs, I know we are here to discuss the Bills.  I appreciate you’re question and a Trey White CB is desperately needed down here.

42 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Maybe Greedy Williams to give you a shutdown CB

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The people writing Rosen off already are fools. The Cardinals are not taking Kyler Murray. 

Kingsbury was hired because of his fit with Rosen. No other reason. If he can't develop Rosen he is out of a job. 

It will be interesting to see the year 2 development of each of last years 1st round QB's

The Bills, Jets and Cardinals will be adding offensive line and skill position players.  The Ravens have Greg Roman to put together a customized game plan for Jackson and honestly, will be see much improvement in Baker's game.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Maybe Greedy Williams to give you a shutdown CB

Thanks RB.  HE’s on my list.  My original statements weren’t for you, but for others.  We have tons of diehard Bills fans around the country, that was their home, and can have a Bills as a primary, and a secondary team.

Appreciate the advice,

19 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

If, a big "IF", the cardinals do fall in love with Murray and select him 1st overall, I wouldn't put it past the Patriots to try and swing a trade for Rosen to be the heir of Brady

Please let Rosen go to the Patriots.  That would be fantastic, he is nothing close to Brady and with the sub-par weapons on their roster he will totally su**

As a Bills fan I can only hope.