McBeane's Moves Now Are For 2020 Success

Inigo Montoya

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you are largely correct, but this is a hot seat year for McBeane.  They need to show real progress this year or there are serious questions about whether their process is working.  Progress is 8, 9 or 10 wins. 7 wins, maybe.  Six wins, and the Pegulas are legitimately asking "what's going on here?"

This is completely fair analysis. I'm smack dab in the middle of the McDermott/Beane haters and those that expect minimal progress in 2019. I don't think it's unfair to expect a strong season in McDermott's third full year/Beane's second. I understand that they wiped the slate, but they've got the QB, they've got the cap space, and they've got the draft picks. Nobody in their right mind is going to hold them to a ridiculous 12 win standard, but I will be discouraged if they're not in CONTENTION for a playoff spot. At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by BillsSB2020

40 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

This is completely fair analysis. I'm smack dab in the middle of the McDermott/Beane haters and those that expect minimal progress in 2019. I don't think it's unfair to expect a strong season in McDermott's third full year/Beane's second. I understand that they wiped the slate, but they've got the QB, they've got the cap space, and they've got the draft picks. Nobody in their right mind is going to hold them to a ridiculous 12 win standard, but I will be discouraged if they're not in CONTENTION for a playoff spot. At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic.

And they've got a locker room core of guys who buy into the process.  Their system is place.  Last season was the first season where players made progress doing what McDermott wants them to do.  They know now what they're supposed to do, and this year they will build on that.   And they will teach the newcomers.   Last season was the foundation, now they are building.  If McDermott knows what he's doing, there should be no more tearing down, just building and building.  

So they should get better in 2019.  Then the process is to keep teaching and learning, and, along the way, keep upgrading the talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yours will be a popular take with those who wanted to summarily dismiss mistakes in year 1 and 2 as "all part of the original plan to get to that year 3 with $80M in cap room".:lol:

The model for teams and their young QB's is to start contending in year 2.

And Allen has a jump because he is getting his second year in year 3 of the regime!

Pulling it off is another matter...........and in that regard.........after doing VERY poorly in free agency last offseason they certainly are going to need to play catch up this offseason.

It can be done though...........a losing team one season can compete for a title the next season.........the Eagles and Rams have proven it very recently..........and the Bills have done pretty well in the past 2 drafts so the cupboard isn't bare.

I wouldn't summarily write them off just yet..........nor should we just anticipate another season of mediocrity as part of a plan.

A second-year quarterback getting to the playoffs isn't the 'model' just because a couple of teams have done it. 

Beane is building a perennial contender. He's not going to sacrifice long-term success for a wild-card one-out, or throw all of his cards in on the 'get to the playoffs on the rookie deal' myth.

I expect a good draft class, a lot of FA depth and maybe one or two quality FA starters. If it comes together for a playoff run, great. I'm okay if it doesn't as long as the arrow keeps pointing up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And they've got a locker room core of guys who buy into the process.  Their system is place.  Last season was the first season where players made progress doing what McDermott wants them to do.  They know now what they're supposed to do, and this year they will build on that.   And they will teach the newcomers.   Last season was the foundation, now they are building.  If McDermott knows what he's doing, there should be no more tearing down, just building and building.  

So they should get better in 2019.  Then the process is to keep teaching and learning, and, along the way, keep upgrading the talent.  

And as you stated, there's only so much McDermott can do if the talent isn't upgraded. They have the resources. This is the year I expect them to take a step forward. It may take some time for them to come together as a team as I expect many new players, but I just don't think of 2019 as a rebuilding year. It's a BUILDING year. That doesn't mean SB, but it means progress.

1 hour ago, BillsSB2020 said:

And as you stated, there's only so much McDermott can do if the talent isn't upgraded. They have the resources. This is the year I expect them to take a step forward. It may take some time for them to come together as a team as I expect many new players, but I just don't think of 2019 as a rebuilding year. It's a BUILDING year. That doesn't mean SB, but it means progress.

That's how I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dave Allen said:

A second-year quarterback getting to the playoffs isn't the 'model' just because a couple of teams have done it. 

Beane is building a perennial contender. He's not going to sacrifice long-term success for a wild-card one-out, or throw all of his cards in on the 'get to the playoffs on the rookie deal' myth.

I expect a good draft class, a lot of FA depth and maybe one or two quality FA starters. If it comes together for a playoff run, great. I'm okay if it doesn't as long as the arrow keeps pointing up.

A couple teams???:doh:

Brady........SB champ second season

Roethlisberger........SB champ second season

Russell Wilson........SB champ second season

Andrew Luck.......AFC championship game second season

Carson Wentz..........lead team to #1 seed......team won SB second season

Goff........team was #3 seed in NFC in second season

Patrick Mahomes.........#1 seed AFC second season

Deshaun Watson.........playoffs second season

Mitch Trubisky...........NFC north champs, playoffs in second season

Man........this board is turning into a bunch of excuse makin',  expectation hatin' MOM's..........I think SDS need to get Nugenix into the banner ad loop!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you are largely correct, but this is a hot seat year for McBeane.  They need to show real progress this year or there are serious questions about whether their process is working.  Progress is 8, 9 or 10 wins. 7 wins, maybe.  Six wins, and the Pegulas are legitimately asking "what's going on here?"

7-9, with two more deer-in-headlights losses to Belichick, should result in Sean in the unemployment line.  This is not a four-year-rebuild league, especially when you’re “rebuilding” from two .500 seasons.

Edited by mannc

54 minutes ago, mannc said:

You can’t possibly know that.  At best, it would depend on the circumstances, and how they got to 7-9.

No ... I don’t know it.. just giving an opinion..

I think it’s an educated prediction to think they get another two seasons unless the wheels completely fall off in 2019 and they only win a couple of games..

20 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm thinking 9-10 wins for the season is very possible and the playoffs are 60/40 against making it.  I think that the division winners will be NE, Pittsburgh, Indy, and the Chiefs.  Chargers and Browns (that's right, the Browns) for the Wild Card.  Buffalo, Houston, and one other team just missing in the last 2 weeks.  Pittsburgh pulls another rabbit out of their hat winning the division despite the offseason drama preceding camp.

I think the Browns will win the north division.

17 hours ago, Rockinon said:

I guess we should just stay home and not even bother to watch them this year then. This is in response to the OP.  Didn't even bother to read the rest of this thread.

I watched last season, knowing they were going to be a poor...because there is an excitement about watching the development of the young players, even if you know the team won’t have success.  

Your post is so over the top, it loses all credibility, by not having anything to do with with what the OP was saying, imo.

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

No ... I don’t know it.. just giving an opinion..

I think it’s an educated prediction to think they get another two seasons unless the wheels completely fall off in 2019 and they only win a couple of games..

Then you should not state it as a fact.

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

7 wins is progress? 8 wins is progress? 

Geez, this fan base never changes. 

We were saying the same things when Dick Jauron was here. 

There will never be any real expectations in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mannc said:

7-9, with two more deer-in-headlights losses to Belichick, should result in Sean in the unemployment line.  This is not a four-year-rebuild league, especially when you’re “rebuilding” from two .500 seasons.

Their record won't determine their future so much as the progress the team makes.   They have established all kinds of metrics for the team, and at the end of the season they measure the performance against the goals in all those areas.  They have, without question, sold the Pegulas on that system.   So long as they can show reasonable progress on their goals, reasonable movement forward, they'll get another year even if they're 7-9.  

There's pretty much no difference between teams that go 9-7 and teams that go 7-9.   A bad call here or there, bad bounce, one or two mistakes, that's all it takes for a two-game swing.  Over the long term, improvement in all the areas they measure should result in an improved record, but it's quite easy for them to get the improvement they want and still go 7-9.   6-10 is the problem for McBeane, I think.  It's pretty hard to show you're getting improvement in the areas you want and still not winning much.