With expectations higher, is anyone else calm?

Virgil

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm going to attribute some of that to losing Gaine to the Texans and having to reshape the front office after that.  I think that was a bigger deal than people realize.

Sure we can always find a reason/excuse................but it's really just a scoreboard issue.

Bad crop + first rule of managment.

Whaley had a lot bigger excuses than Beane, IMO..........namely having two HC's he wouldn't have chosen thrust upon him and having to draft for two different offenses and three different defenses(Pettine/Schwartz/Rex) in a 4 year time frame.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"Embrace the suck"  eball.

It's all entertainment.............you are far too emotional about it and that's why you can't be objective and end up with so many hilariously wrong takes.

It was a terrible UFA class.

If you think signing Star to a $50M deal with $25M guaranteed was "at worst" an average signing.........well........that's why you get mocked for having such wrong takes.?

Star Lotulelei...."at worst it was an average signing"........that's a keeper.:thumbsup: 

You're an odd bird.  You obviously study the game and when you stick to that you're an entertaining read.  For some reason, however, you're an obnoxious ass at the same time.  Must just be a personality trait.

You also conspicuously refuse to address points people make that refute your "expert" takes.

If you don't think I'm entertained by all of this you're really not as smart as you think you are.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You know premature reactions aren't just the ones you disagree with. They've got a lot to prove. They've shown potentional, Beane, McDermott, and Allen. But you definitely trend optimistic. Which is fine, I just see a lot of things in that post that aren't true.

Beane didn't fix the cap a year earlier than he said, this has been the year since McDermott got here. Even then, the dead cap was a choice. And McDermott leaves plenty to be desired as far as coaching. He's pretty good defensively, amazing with the secondary. Offensively he looks too conservative and run heavy, timeouts and challenges and clock management he's not great either.

Again they have potential, and show some great strengths. But they still have a lot to prove and leave a lot to be desired.

Good post Virgil. I've turned the corner as well. Although I'm more in between you and Ol Dirty B ^ up here at this point. We had a promising second half to the year and, given virtually everybody from the top down is a rookie at their respective jobs, noticable improvement year to year is all I'm looking for.

But the 1st half of the the season still happened. Never forget lol. That was a joke and I need a full season with all that nonsense gone. So i'm not too far from the corner if I get PTSD flashbacks from that horrible horrible first 8 games.

I still remember those games like it was yesterday. The horror.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What were you thinking when they signed Russ Bodine and Marshall Newhouse to bolster the OL last winter?  Same as Spencer Long,  right?:flirt:

That's just the new-ness.

Fans adored Whaley initially as well..........being critical of him on TSW was definitely a fight-starter.

Beane's first class of UFA's was one of the worst the team has assembled in the 25 years of free agency..........8 signings.........all disappointments.

In Whaley's last offseason as the actual GM he inked Lorax and Zach Brown for about $4M combined.......TOTAL....... and one was a DPOY candidate who lead the NFL in sacks for most of the year  and the other lead the NFL in tackles.         

How do it feel to hate your team so much?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He loves his team so much he doesn't want management to break his heart for the umpteenth time and he's a cautious lover.

We all love/hate in different ways.

Read his reply. He hated on the present regime and loved the failed regime. You all need to move on. Dougie is gone. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sorry but this is a terrible take.

These teams didn't miss the playoffs BECAUSE of those recievers. I mean seriously? Your basically saying The Falcons missed the playoffs therefore having a Julio Jones doesn't do ***** for you.?

I never said it was because of those receivers. Just that you can have success and be a great offense without prototypical  number one kinda guys. Not sure where you get your assumptions or if you actually read my post, I never claimed those teams didn’t make the playoffs BECAUSE of the receivers, or that having a Julio Jones type doesn’t do ****.. The point was simply put that you can have a potent offense and success and NOT have a legit #1 guy. It’s just a matter of having a VARIETY of weapons in the pass game 

26 minutes ago, eball said:

You're an odd bird.  You obviously study the game and when you stick to that you're an entertaining read.  For some reason, however, you're an obnoxious ass at the same time.  Must just be a personality trait.

You also conspicuously refuse to address points people make that refute your "expert" takes.

If you don't think I'm entertained by all of this you're really not as smart as you think you are.

I apologize for not addressing some of your takes.    So here we go:

-Star Lotuelelei was a roundly criticized signing.  And that criticism was based on his modest production in Carolina.     He then suffered a significant drop-off in Buffalo.   This is a guy who basically averaged about 5 TFL and 5 QB hits per year in this defense in Carolina....and then he had 1 TFL and 0 QB hits in Buffalo.   He simply couldn't get off of a block to save his life.   Bum's like Ted Larson were single blocking him and he couldn't disengage. ?

-Who could have predicted Vontae Davis wouldn't work out?   A lot of folks........he's a CB and tore his achilles in 2017.

-Chris Ivory was pretty solid?   Do you remember the game in Miami where he was running and just dropped the ball with nobody around him.....losing the fumble?:lol:    6 rushes for 4 yards in that game.   113 rushes for 385 yards on the year.   3.3 ypc.......nearly a FULL YARD below the league average per carry.   And oh yeah........he missed time with injuries.   

So there.........I addressed your points.........better?:flirt:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I apologize for not addressing some of your takes.    So here we go:

-Star Lotuelelei was a roundly criticized signing.  And that criticism was based on his modest production in Carolina.     He then suffered a significant drop-off in Buffalo.   This is a guy who basically averaged about 5 TFL and 5 QB hits per year in this defense in Carolina....and then he had 1 TFL and 0 QB hits in Buffalo.   He simply couldn't get off of a block to save his life.   Bum's like Ted Larson were single blocking him and he couldn't disengage. ?

-Who could have predicted Vontae Davis wouldn't work out?   A lot of folks........he's a CB and tore his achilles in 2017.

-Chris Ivory was pretty solid?   Do you remember the game in Miami where he was running and just dropped the ball with nobody around him.....losing the fumble?:lol:    6 rushes for 4 yards in that game.   113 rushes for 385 yards on the year.   3.3 ypc.......nearly a FULL YARD below the league average per carry.   And oh yeah........he missed time with injuries.   

So there.........I addressed your points.........better?:flirt:

I wasn't necessarily referring to myself, but sure, thanks for responding.

Star -- anyone expecting "production" in the classic sense (tackles and sacks) out of him wasn't paying attention to what he was brought in to do.  The Bills were horribly weak up the middle in 2017.  Star's PFF grade (if you put stock in that stuff) for 2018 ranked as "average."  Was it a great signing?  No, but it also wasn't a bad one -- and the money doesn't hamstring them.

Chris Ivory ranked as "above average" with PFF.  You're really dinging a RB for YPC behind that OL?  He made several big plays in the passing game as well.

20 hours ago, Virgil said:

For the first time since the Super Bowl Years, I find myself increasingly relaxed. Not because I don’t care or expect them to suck, but because I’m actually trusting the process. 

I lost my crap when the drafted Allen. I’ve been pissed by certain FA signings.  I’ve declared seasons over before they even started.  

Maybe it’s the successful undrafted free agents. Maybe it’s what I saw in the second half of the season.  Probably all of it. 

All I know is, no matter who they draft or sign in free agency, I’m trusting that they know what they are doing.  Even if it’s another defensive back, I’m good.  They’ve earned it to me. 

For me, I don’t see a true number one receiver, so I can’t expect us to find one. I hope they sign one of the big name young FA OLB’s and a few offensive lineman.  I’d like to see us draft a top TE, RB. 

Either way, I think the new regime has earned the faith and I’m going into this season with decent expectations as well as believe they will achieve them.  

It feels right finally. 

The worst part for me is the waiting that's involved...I'm relaxed and anxious at the same time,if that makes any sense.Regarless..we will be a better football team come September.Go Bills!

1 hour ago, eball said:

I wasn't necessarily referring to myself, but sure, thanks for responding.

Star -- anyone expecting "production" in the classic sense (tackles and sacks) out of him wasn't paying attention to what he was brought in to do.  The Bills were horribly weak up the middle in 2017.  Star's PFF grade (if you put stock in that stuff) for 2018 ranked as "average."  Was it a great signing?  No, but it also wasn't a bad one -- and the money doesn't hamstring them.

Chris Ivory ranked as "above average" with PFF.  You're really dinging a RB for YPC behind that OL?  He made several big plays in the passing game as well.

I love that there are people who can pretend that expecting more than a stat-line of 17 tackles 1 TFL and zero QB hits is "expecting production in the classic sense" for a $10M per year 4-3 DT.

The bar of $10M value is set so ridiculous low in an attempt to defend Star that it's it's own straw man.........pretty hilarious.:lol: 

As of 3/17/19 he will have accrued $25M in guarantees from the Bills. :lol:  

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I love that there are people who can pretend that expecting more than a stat-line of 17 tackles 1 TFL and zero QB hits is "expecting production in the classic sense" for a $10M per year 4-3 DT.

The bar of $10M value is set so ridiculous low in an attempt to defend Star that it's it's own straw man.........pretty hilarious.:lol: 

But why does the money he’s paid matter? 

The bills haven’t been hurting for cash to sign players, and by the time they need the money he’s getting it’ll be easy to move on. 

There have been some really questionable signings and moves here since Beane took over however there’s something to be said with familiarity of the players. The “Carolina connection” etc etc 

Of course they overpaid for Star, that’s obvious to anyone. What does he bring in the locker room? Film room? Does he make players on the team better? Now I do not know the answers to these questions but McDermott does and he obviously wants the guy on the team for a reason. Just my 2 cents but it seems they are paying for more than just production from the guy. If we were to the cap and hurting for money to sign players I could see people being upset and bashing stars salary but as of right now it means nothing. He’s not taking away from the team or hurting the team. Could we spend his 10 million on better production? Of course. But they have been building something in their vision that is more important to them than just production at this point. A locker room culture and team first mentality. You need vets to do that and hold young guys accountable. Maybe star fills that I don’t know 

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Who's defending him?  I merely said his signing isn't a "fail" as you have asserted.  Take it easy, chief.  You're going to work your lapdog Scottlaw into a lather!

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You know premature reactions aren't just the ones you disagree with. They've got a lot to prove. They've shown potentional, Beane, McDermott, and Allen. But you definitely trend optimistic. Which is fine, I just see a lot of things in that post that aren't true.

Beane didn't fix the cap a year earlier than he said, this has been the year since McDermott got here. Even then, the dead cap was a choice. And McDermott leaves plenty to be desired as far as coaching. He's pretty good defensively, amazing with the secondary. Offensively he looks too conservative and run heavy, timeouts and challenges and clock management he's not great either.

Again they have potential, and show some great strengths. But they still have a lot to prove and leave a lot to be desired.

These are fair points to make, and pretty well balanced.   

In response I will say that I'm optimistic not because McDermott has done everything right but because he is so committed to continuous improvement.  McDermott believes in the process for himself as well as for everyone else.  HIS performance is evaluated, and HIS goals are established.  His expectation of himself is that he will continuously improve, including how he manages the offense and how he makes in-game decisions.  He studies all that, keeps notebooks about it, adds to his knowledge.  He will be a better coach five years from now than he is today.  

My concern about McD is this: players can keep learning, but sometimes they run into physical limitations that mean that the player can't get any better.  Coaches can run into mental limitations.  Some coaches just are more intuitive, more creative than others, in a football sense.  If McD isn't one of those, it doesn't matter how much he studies.  

I'm optimistic because I know that of McD fails, it isn't going to be because of lack of effort. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

But why does the money he’s paid matter? 

The bills haven’t been hurting for cash to sign players, and by the time they need the money he’s getting it’ll be easy to move on. 

There have been some really questionable signings and moves here since Beane took over however there’s something to be said with familiarity of the players. The “Carolina connection” etc etc 

Of course they overpaid for Star, that’s obvious to anyone. What does he bring in the locker room? Film room? Does he make players on the team better? Now I do not know the answers to these questions but McDermott does and he obviously wants the guy on the team for a reason. Just my 2 cents but it seems they are paying for more than just production from the guy. If we were to the cap and hurting for money to sign players I could see people being upset and bashing stars salary but as of right now it means nothing. He’s not taking away from the team or hurting the team. Could we spend his 10 million on better production? Of course. But they have been building something in their vision that is more important to them than just production at this point. A locker room culture and team first mentality. You need vets to do that and hold young guys accountable. Maybe star fills that I don’t know 

I think you describe exactly why they brought him to Buffalo.  They wanted a real pro on the D line, a guy with the right attitude to lead them. They knew Kyle would be gone and they knew no one else on the D line could be the leader. 

Plus, so far as his production goes, they probably got exactly what they expected. McD platoons, so he never intended that Star would get even 60% of the snaps.  And a platooned player at that position will never post gaudy numbers. 

Finally, people inside the system, GMS and agents, know how to calculate plaers' contract values.  The Bills wouldn't have given Star that money if others didn't value him similarly.  

This is not the best FA class or draft for rebuilding an offense, so I am not expecting miracles. I think we still have a couple years before we can get excited -- assuming that Beane makes nearly all good moves and that we can attract the best FA's.

21 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

All the talk and hype of a “true #1 receiver” is soooooo overblown. 

If this season showed the trend it’s that having a legit #1 guy means squat. 

Brown-Steelers no playoffs 

AJ Green-Bengals no playoffs

Deandre Hopkins-Texans lost in playoffs

Odell-Giants hurt and no playoffs 

Cooper-Cowboys knocked out 

Thielen-Diggs?-Vikings looked bad 

Adams-Green Bay no playoffs 

Golloday-Lions no playoffs 

Julio-Ridley Falcons no playoffs 

Evans-Tampa no playoffs 

Thomas-Saints probably your only real #1 guy who made a legit run 

Maybe im missing some or don’t consider some as true #1’s and probably listed some that aren’t too. 

Point is having that #1 guy is not that important. You just need weapons. Brees and even the pats and rams show how it should be done. Spread the ball to multiple weapons and ride the hot hand. If anything having the defacto #1 guy hurts a lot of teams cause they force targets all game long and other guys don’t always get a chance to get in any rhythm. To add further, it’s looking like the only way to have a lethal offense is a really solid tight end, running game, and that legit speed receiver. 

Back to the point of the post I too am confident we are heading in the right directions and are building a solid core to the team. I have questioned what in the heck these guys are thinking especially year one dumping all the young players but now that the path looks to be laid down I get it and fully understand what they’re going for. 

We should ascend at the perfect time of the pats and dolphins rebuild and I’m really not overly impressed with the jets roster. 

Jerry Rice

Reggie Wayne

Marvin Harrison 

Marques Colston

Keenan McCardell

Michael Irvin

Anquon Boldin

Hines Ward

Randy Moss

Terrell Owens

Plaxico Burress

Greg Jennings