With expectations higher, is anyone else calm?

Virgil

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You know premature reactions aren't just the ones you disagree with. They've got a lot to prove. They've shown potentional, Beane, McDermott, and Allen. But you definitely trend optimistic. Which is fine, I just see a lot of things in that post that aren't true.

Beane didn't fix the cap a year earlier than he said, this has been the year since McDermott got here. Even then, the dead cap was a choice. And McDermott leaves plenty to be desired as far as coaching. He's pretty good defensively, amazing with the secondary. Offensively he looks too conservative and run heavy, timeouts and challenges and clock management he's not great either.

Again they have potential, and show some great strengths. But they still have a lot to prove and leave a lot to be desired.

Beane has not been here whole time McD has though.  Remember he joined Bills after Free Agency and draft were complete.  He then said it would take him 2 years to clean up the cap when hired, he did after his first offseason as Bills GM.  

Yes the dead cap space was a choice, but it was absolutely necessary and correct choice to clear the cap for future seasons beginning with this one.  There is really is nothing that can be criticized about the dead cap space in 2018 when it absolutely worked.  He also had a great first draft too.  

And I definitely disagree with your conservative comments about McD, it just isn’t true IMO.  When Allen was first starting and then when NP and DA filled in, the passing game was weak and he had to try and lean on the run game.  But everything he did from the time Allen got back to the end of the season was far from conservative.  

We constantly were pushing the ball down field, going for 4th down conversions, trying to score at end of halves where most coaches take a knee, being aggressive as much as he can with the personnel we have.  To classify him as conservative just because parts of the year the personnel wasn’t capable of being aggressive is an inaccurate conclusion in my book.  To be aggressive and take risks, you need players who can execute.  And it wasn’t until Allen came back looking like a different player that we were able to really start opening it up more.

He does need to improve on clock management and time out management, but that’s to

be expected with a first time head coach.  So while I agree it’s an area he needs to grow in, I am also not that worried about it as I feel confident he will as he’s a smart coach.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I mean that point is awful. You're discrediting teams that made the playoffs, and you're counting guys like Golloday, and Adam's as #1's.

You leave out Cooks in the Superbowl. You lack any kind of context in that Pittsburgh, Cincinnat, and Tampa were messes. Evans, Thielen and Diggs, Julio, Odell have no QBs.

WRs are definitely a position that is reliant upon the QB and QBs can make them better, but to dismiss the fact they can be game breakers and help QBs is living in the 50's.

Why don't we go through the teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

Jacksonville

Cleveland

49ers

Arizona

Redskins

Tennesse

Denver

Detroit

Green Bay

Carolina

13 out of 18 teams that didnt make the playoffs dont have a true #1.

The point when made as simply can go both ways.

Cooks is not what I would consider a true #1 receiver. Woods is more their #1 than cooks. 

My point was most of the best guys in the league are not in the playoffs. 

You can run a really good offense without the prototypical #1 receiver like Julio, Hopkins or Beckham etc etc.. 

A lot of people seem obsessed that we have to have a Julio Jones #1 receiver guy to have a legit deadly offense and I would disagree. 

And I said maybe some wouldn’t be considered #1 kinda guys. But if you’ve seen Golloday play you’d know he’s going to be a pretty elite receiver and Adams makes some serious plays in packer country. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

For the first time since the Super Bowl Years, I find myself increasingly relaxed. Not because I don’t care or expect them to suck, but because I’m actually trusting the process. 

I lost my crap when the drafted Allen. I’ve been pissed by certain FA signings.  I’ve declared seasons over before they even started.  

Maybe it’s the successful undrafted free agents. Maybe it’s what I saw in the second half of the season.  Probably all of it. 

All I know is, no matter who they draft or sign in free agency, I’m trusting that they know what they are doing.  Even if it’s another defensive back, I’m good.  They’ve earned it to me. 

For me, I don’t see a true number one receiver, so I can’t expect us to find one. I hope they sign one of the big name young FA OLB’s and a few offensive lineman.  I’d like to see us draft a top TE, RB. 

Either way, I think the new regime has earned the faith and I’m going into this season with decent expectations as well as believe they will achieve them.  

It feels right finally. 

Second worst offense in the NFL.

McD is 0-4 versus NE.........even Williams, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Rex all had a competitive game or two in their first couple seasons versus NE.........but not McD he's been a deer in headlights vs. Hoodie.

McD thought Peterman was good.    He really did.  

0-8 in free agency last offseason.   Dreadful first crop from Beane.

There is plenty to be concerned about with this team.........not being realistic about it might not be the best thing for you.........seems like you are prone to emotional distress from this team.

Just enjoy it.........it's all entertainment.

• Like (+1) 2

@Virgil, I know exactly what you mean. There isnt the thought pattern in my mind of lets see what Billsy thing they do next. Even with the Spencer Long signing my thought is more, "well he looks servicable but I cant wait to see what he becomes here". Not, "oh boy, another dud". The Whaleyaphobia is wearing off. 

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It all rests on Allen. If he is a top 10 QB everything else will click together. If he doesn't develop none of their other moves will matter. I could see him being a total bust or becoming an MVP candidate. So I'm not entirely calm yet. I expect free agency and the draft to be particularly exciting this year, but mostly I'm anxious to see what steps Allen will take in his sophomore season.

Agreed. If Allen takes a big step, the entire team takes a big step. 

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Second worst offense in the NFL.

McD is 0-4 versus NE.........even Williams, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Rex all had a competitive game or two in their first couple seasons versus NE.........but not McD he's been a deer in headlights vs. Hoodie.

McD thought Peterman was good.    He really did.  

0-8 in free agency last offseason.   Dreadful first crop from Beane.

There is plenty to be concerned about with this team.........not being realistic about it might not be the best thing for you.........seems like you are prone to emotional distress from this team.

Just enjoy it.........it's all entertainment.

It's curious how you think it's entertaining to tell people to "enjoy" all you proclaim is wrong with the Bills.

That curiosity aside, I'd really like to get a chance to sit down for a beer with McD one day and ask "WTF?" with respect to Peterman.

With respect to free agency I believe you're a bit harsh.  Is Star really a "miss?"  I know he's probably a bit overpaid but by all accounts he provided exactly what they were looking for.  At worst it was an average signing.  Chris Ivory was pretty solid when not hurt.  Vontae was an obvious miss but who saw that coming?  I just casually glanced at every team's 2018 free agency list and it doesn't appear that Beane did a markedly worse job here than the average team.  Anyway, most of these signings weren't meant to carry the Bills into prominence anyway; they were hole-pluggers in a rebuilding project.  Beane's first draft looks pretty good at this point.  I'll give him more than one offseason before piling on the dirt, especially when I've seen what he's been able to accomplish on the trade market.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I mean that point is awful. You're discrediting teams that made the playoffs, and you're counting guys like Golloday, and Adam's as #1's.

You leave out Cooks in the Superbowl. You lack any kind of context in that Pittsburgh, Cincinnat, and Tampa were messes. Evans, Thielen and Diggs, Julio, Odell have no QBs.

WRs are definitely a position that is reliant upon the QB and QBs can make them better, but to dismiss the fact they can be game breakers and help QBs is living in the 50's.

Why don't we go through the teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

Jacksonville

Cleveland

49ers

Arizona

Redskins

Tennesse

Denver

Detroit

Green Bay

Carolina

13 out of 18 teams that didnt make the playoffs dont have a true #1.

The point when made as simply can go both ways.

Cooks a prototipical #1?  I dont know about that.  Very few teams have a prototypical 1.  How many SB victories has Brady gotten with one of these prototypical 1s?  I believe the answer is Zero.

24 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Cooks a prototipical #1?  I dont know about that.  Very few teams have a prototypical 1.  How many SB victories has Brady gotten with one of these prototypical 1s?  I believe the answer is Zero.

Last time Brady had a prototypical #1 was Moss, right?  Also I agree that Cooks doesn't fit the bill.  

I think that having 4-5 good weapons is better than having 1-2 elite weapons and 3-4 average/below average weapons. The problem with those elite players is the money they command.  But if we can land a #1 in the draft and pay him a rookie salary for 5 years while filling out the roster with good veteran weapons, that's a plus.  

Also, look at the Hoodie and how he gameplans for other teams.  His defense always focuses on doing 2 things:  they set the edge, and they take away your number 1 weapon.  He makes his teams immune to his very own brand of poison by not relying on elite weapons.  Edelman is good but not elite.  Elite WRs are over 6 feet tall, faster than he is, and catch balls just as well.  Gronk is (was?) elite, but once teams started to focus on him Brady just spread the ball around to his other good weapons, and they intentionally used Gronk as a decoy more and more.  

ON THE FLIP SIDE, however, is the fact that each NFL team has a limited roster and can only field 11 players at once.  You still want elite talent to put your team over the edge on at least one side of the ball that your opposing team has to gameplan for, whether it be an elite pass rusher, shut down corner, or offensive weapon.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Capco said:

Last time Brady had a prototypical #1 was Moss, right?  Also I agree that Cooks doesn't fit the bill.  

I think that having 4-5 good weapons is better than having 1-2 elite weapons and 3-4 average/below average weapons. The problem with those elite players is the money they command.  But if we can land a #1 in the draft and pay him a rookie salary for 5 years while filling out the roster with good veteran weapons, that's a plus.  

Also, look at the Hoodie and how he gameplans for other teams.  His defense always focuses on doing 2 things:  they set the edge, and they take away your number 1 weapon.  He makes his teams immune to his very own brand of poison by not relying on elite weapons.  Edelman is good but not elite.  Elite WRs are over 6 feet tall, faster than he is, and catch balls just as well.  Gronk is (was?) elite, but once teams started to focus on him Brady just spread the ball around to his other good weapons, and they intentionally used Gronk as a decoy more and more.  

ON THE FLIP SIDE, however, is the fact that each NFL team has a limited roster and can only field 11 players at once.  You still want elite talent to put your team over the edge on at least one side of the ball that your opposing team has to gameplan for, whether it be an elite pass rusher, shut down corner, or offensive weapon.  

I think it is important to be balanced.  You have to be able to stop the run and pass and you have to be able to run or pass.  Thats Why the lines are so important.  I would also rather have an elite RB than an elite WR.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

14 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think it is important to be balanced.  You have to be able to stop the run and pass and you have to be able to run or pass.  Thats Why the lines are so important.  I would also rather have an elite RB than an elite WR.

If you have an elite line, the RB is far less important than an elite WR.

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

If you have an elite line, the RB is far less important than an elite WR.

Atlanta has had Julio for how long.

Houston has had Hopkins for...

Brady won how many SBs with Moss...

NE drafted one of the best RBs in the draft and won a SB without Gordon.  If the loss was Sony and not Gordon they have no Lambardi this year.

3 hours ago, fansince88 said:

@Virgil, I know exactly what you mean. There isnt the thought pattern in my mind of lets see what Billsy thing they do next. Even with the Spencer Long signing my thought is more, "well he looks servicable but I cant wait to see what he becomes here". Not, "oh boy, another dud". The Whaleyaphobia is wearing off. 

What were you thinking when they signed Russ Bodine and Marshall Newhouse to bolster the OL last winter?  Same as Spencer Long,  right?:flirt:

That's just the new-ness.

Fans adored Whaley initially as well..........being critical of him on TSW was definitely a fight-starter.

Beane's first class of UFA's was one of the worst the team has assembled in the 25 years of free agency..........8 signings.........all disappointments.

In Whaley's last offseason as the actual GM he inked Lorax and Zach Brown for about $4M combined.......TOTAL....... and one was a DPOY candidate who lead the NFL in sacks for most of the year  and the other lead the NFL in tackles.         

3 hours ago, eball said:

It's curious how you think it's entertaining to tell people to "enjoy" all you proclaim is wrong with the Bills.

That curiosity aside, I'd really like to get a chance to sit down for a beer with McD one day and ask "WTF?" with respect to Peterman.

With respect to free agency I believe you're a bit harsh.  Is Star really a "miss?"  I know he's probably a bit overpaid but by all accounts he provided exactly what they were looking for.  At worst it was an average signing.  Chris Ivory was pretty solid when not hurt.  Vontae was an obvious miss but who saw that coming?  I just casually glanced at every team's 2018 free agency list and it doesn't appear that Beane did a markedly worse job here than the average team.  Anyway, most of these signings weren't meant to carry the Bills into prominence anyway; they were hole-pluggers in a rebuilding project.  Beane's first draft looks pretty good at this point.  I'll give him more than one offseason before piling on the dirt, especially when I've seen what he's been able to accomplish on the trade market.

"Embrace the suck"  eball.

It's all entertainment.............you are far too emotional about it and that's why you can't be objective and end up with so many hilariously wrong takes.

It was a terrible UFA class.

If you think signing Star to a $50M deal with $25M guaranteed was "at worst" an average signing.........well........that's why you get mocked for having such wrong takes.?

Star Lotulelei...."at worst it was an average signing"........that's a keeper.:thumbsup: 

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What were you thinking when they signed Russ Bodine and Marshall Newhouse to bolster the OL last winter?  Same as Spencer Long,  right?:flirt:

That's just the new-ness.

Fans adored Whaley initially as well..........being critical of him on TSW was definitely a fight-starter.

Beane's first class of UFA's was one of the worst the team has assembled in the 25 years of free agency..........8 signings.........all disappointments.

In Whaley's last offseason as the actual GM he inked Lorax and Zach Brown for about $4M combined.......TOTAL....... and one was a DPOY candidate who lead the NFL in sacks for most of the year  and the other lead the NFL in tackles.         

I'm going to attribute some of that to losing Gaine to the Texans and having to reshape the front office after that.  I think that was a bigger deal than people realize.