With expectations higher, is anyone else calm?

Virgil

For the first time since the Super Bowl Years, I find myself increasingly relaxed. Not because I don’t care or expect them to suck, but because I’m actually trusting the process. 

I lost my crap when the drafted Allen. I’ve been pissed by certain FA signings.  I’ve declared seasons over before they even started.  

Maybe it’s the successful undrafted free agents. Maybe it’s what I saw in the second half of the season.  Probably all of it. 

All I know is, no matter who they draft or sign in free agency, I’m trusting that they know what they are doing.  Even if it’s another defensive back, I’m good.  They’ve earned it to me. 

For me, I don’t see a true number one receiver, so I can’t expect us to find one. I hope they sign one of the big name young FA OLB’s and a few offensive lineman.  I’d like to see us draft a top TE, RB. 

Either way, I think the new regime has earned the faith and I’m going into this season with decent expectations as well as believe they will achieve them.  

It feels right finally. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am calm only because it's Feburary. Once we hit September, I'll totally lose my *****. 

I am unfortunately not as forgiving as you. Ive adapted the "show me and I'll trust it" premise. 

I can no longer will myself to buy into potential, what could be and allow my hopes/dreams to distort my reality. Once I can see this regime successfully sustain a productive and modern offense, along with sound in-game coaching decisions then, I'll trust it. 

So with all due respect, spare me the excuses and reasons for inadequacies where ever they may have been over the previous two seasons. They are no longer relavent. It's put up or shut up. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

For the first time since the Super Bowl Years, I find myself increasingly relaxed. Not because I don’t care or expect them to suck, but because I’m actually trusting the process. 

I lost my crap when the drafted Allen. I’ve been pissed by certain FA signings.  I’ve declared seasons over before they even started.  

Maybe it’s the successful undrafted free agents. Maybe it’s what I saw in the second half of the season.  Probably all of it. 

All I know is, no matter who they draft or sign in free agency, I’m trusting that they know what they are doing.  Even if it’s another defensive back, I’m good.  They’ve earned it to me. 

For me, I don’t see a true number one receiver, so I can’t expect us to find one. I hope they sign one of the big name young FA OLB’s and a few offensive lineman.  I’d like to see us draft a top TE, RB. 

Either way, I think the new regime has earned the faith and I’m going into this season with decent expectations as well as believe they will achieve them.  

It feels right finally. 

Kudos to seeing the premature reactions and taking in the body of work they put in.  There are some that still say we drafted the wrong Josh even now, or that Beane sucks at this or that because of what we had to field this year, and even people still hating on McD despite looking at how much he accomplished in 2 years versus what he had to work with.  

For me, Beane has proven he knows what he is doing.  He fixed the cap a year faster than he said, built a solid foundation with the D and young key players like Allen and Edmunds leading both sides of the ball, and managed to get us a ton of cap room and 10 picks this offseason.  

McD has also coached his *** off his first 2 years.  No coach or GM is going to make decisions that we all agree with 100% of the time or that are always right.  Its the body of work, and McD seems to be a bright young coach in the NFL right now that players love.  

In my honest opinion, 2 years from now I really believe that McD and Beane will both be seen as two of the best in the NFL at what they do.  And they both may reach that status next year if they get the right pieces in to make a deep playoff run next season.

Lots to be excited about.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm actually chomping at the bit.  I'm trusting the process but can't wait to see what the Bills do in free agency and the draft.

I’m excited as well. So maybe calm isn’t the right word. Relaxed maybe?

I’m excited to see who we get, without expectation.  Whoever they pick up, I’m trusting it will be the right person 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Yes, I would agree.  Imo they hit on Allen and Edmunds.  This offseason is what makes Beane.  He has 80 mil in the bank and a top 10 pick without needing a Qb.  Let's see what hes got.  

You could also say they hit on Taron Johnson as the NCB. 

What I am most excited about this year? Not having the worry about a QB battle or drafting a QB or signing a QB. I don’t remember the last time I went into a season feeling that good. Nice to be able to do anything in the draft and not have to fight for one of the QB’s. Or hope to sign a journeyman free agent QB ala Keenum. Great position to be in picking top 10 in the draft with QB not a worry. 

• Like (+1) 1

If that’s the Xanax talking, be careful with the adult beverages! I’ve seen how that turns out! 

I’m calm, both because I trust them more than any FO I can remember in a long, long time, and because I have more perspective as I age. I still get worked up, but I never forget that it’s a game and there are far more important things in life. Start with your family, then build that list. The Bills are prominent on there, but certainly not at the top. 

• Like (+1) 1

It all rests on Allen. If he is a top 10 QB everything else will click together. If he doesn't develop none of their other moves will matter. I could see him being a total bust or becoming an MVP candidate. So I'm not entirely calm yet. I expect free agency and the draft to be particularly exciting this year, but mostly I'm anxious to see what steps Allen will take in his sophomore season.

• Like (+1) 2

All the talk and hype of a “true #1 receiver” is soooooo overblown. 

If this season showed the trend it’s that having a legit #1 guy means squat. 

Brown-Steelers no playoffs 

AJ Green-Bengals no playoffs

Deandre Hopkins-Texans lost in playoffs

Odell-Giants hurt and no playoffs 

Cooper-Cowboys knocked out 

Thielen-Diggs?-Vikings looked bad 

Adams-Green Bay no playoffs 

Golloday-Lions no playoffs 

Julio-Ridley Falcons no playoffs 

Evans-Tampa no playoffs 

Thomas-Saints probably your only real #1 guy who made a legit run 

Maybe im missing some or don’t consider some as true #1’s and probably listed some that aren’t too. 

Point is having that #1 guy is not that important. You just need weapons. Brees and even the pats and rams show how it should be done. Spread the ball to multiple weapons and ride the hot hand. If anything having the defacto #1 guy hurts a lot of teams cause they force targets all game long and other guys don’t always get a chance to get in any rhythm. To add further, it’s looking like the only way to have a lethal offense is a really solid tight end, running game, and that legit speed receiver. 

Back to the point of the post I too am confident we are heading in the right directions and are building a solid core to the team. I have questioned what in the heck these guys are thinking especially year one dumping all the young players but now that the path looks to be laid down I get it and fully understand what they’re going for. 

We should ascend at the perfect time of the pats and dolphins rebuild and I’m really not overly impressed with the jets roster. 

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm actually chomping at the bit.  I'm trusting the process but can't wait to see what the Bills do in free agency and the draft.

The phrase is actually champing at the bit. Chomping has only become acceptable because so many people use it incorrectly. Kind of like butt naked, instead of the proper buck naked.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kudos to seeing the premature reactions and taking in the body of work they put in.  There are some that still say we drafted the wrong Josh even now, or that Beane sucks at this or that because of what we had to field this year, and even people still hating on McD despite looking at how much he accomplished in 2 years versus what he had to work with.  

For me, Beane has proven he knows what he is doing.  He fixed the cap a year faster than he said, built a solid foundation with the D and young key players like Allen and Edmunds leading both sides of the ball, and managed to get us a ton of cap room and 10 picks this offseason.  

McD has also coached his *** off his first 2 years.  No coach or GM is going to make decisions that we all agree with 100% of the time or that are always right.  Its the body of work, and McD seems to be a bright young coach in the NFL right now that players love.  

In my honest opinion, 2 years from now I really believe that McD and Beane will both be seen as two of the best in the NFL at what they do.  And they both may reach that status next year if they get the right pieces in to make a deep playoff run next season.

Lots to be excited about.

You know premature reactions aren't just the ones you disagree with. They've got a lot to prove. They've shown potentional, Beane, McDermott, and Allen. But you definitely trend optimistic. Which is fine, I just see a lot of things in that post that aren't true.

Beane didn't fix the cap a year earlier than he said, this has been the year since McDermott got here. Even then, the dead cap was a choice. And McDermott leaves plenty to be desired as far as coaching. He's pretty good defensively, amazing with the secondary. Offensively he looks too conservative and run heavy, timeouts and challenges and clock management he's not great either.

Again they have potential, and show some great strengths. But they still have a lot to prove and leave a lot to be desired.

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

All the talk and hype of a “true #1 receiver” is soooooo overblown. 

If this season showed the trend it’s that having a legit #1 guy means squat. 

Brown-Steelers no playoffs 

AJ Green-Bengals no playoffs

Deandre Hopkins-Texans lost in playoffs

Odell-Giants hurt and no playoffs 

Cooper-Cowboys knocked out 

Thielen-Diggs?-Vikings looked bad 

Adams-Green Bay no playoffs 

Golloday-Lions no playoffs 

Julio-Ridley Falcons no playoffs 

Evans-Tampa no playoffs 

Thomas-Saints probably your only real #1 guy who made a legit run 

I mean that point is awful. You're discrediting teams that made the playoffs, and you're counting guys like Golloday, and Adam's as #1's.

You leave out Cooks in the Superbowl. You lack any kind of context in that Pittsburgh, Cincinnat, and Tampa were messes. Evans, Thielen and Diggs, Julio, Odell have no QBs.

WRs are definitely a position that is reliant upon the QB and QBs can make them better, but to dismiss the fact they can be game breakers and help QBs is living in the 50's.

Why don't we go through the teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

Jacksonville

Cleveland

49ers

Arizona

Redskins

Tennesse

Denver

Detroit

Green Bay

Carolina

13 out of 18 teams that didnt make the playoffs dont have a true #1.

The point when made as simply can go both ways.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1