Daboll should eliminate designed QB runs from our offense

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's weird that there are some in this thread who are thinking I'm saying Allen should never run.

Is it that we just read titles and respond to those alone or that we struggle with reading comprehension?  :blink:

To be very, very clear: I still want to see Allen running in 2019 and beyond, but only on passing plays.  

How could you NOT want a guy who's gaining over 11 yards per carry on those such plays running?!  :doh:

With the exception only of short yardage situations (3rd & 4th down and goal line instances) there's absolutely no reason for Daboll to put Allen in a designed run situation.

That is because the brain cells for reading have shrunk down for some folks to the point where they are at full capacity with about a 6 word tweet.

Some, if not most of us understood "designed runs" as opposed to saying scrambling to avoid pressure or if Allen sees that the defense has given up 20 yards of green in front of him.

He is money on those sneak plays though...think we have to keep those in the playbook.

Edited by WideNine

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

Did you write that title says something you don't mean? That seems silly. 

I don't quite understand. I think this fella made his point pretty clear. He doesn't like the designed runs, but he doesn't have a problem with Allen scrambling/improvising when things break down. His post articulates the title well. I thought it was straightforward.

Just now, BillsSB2020 said:

I don't quite understand. I think this fella made his point pretty clear. He doesn't like the designed runs, but he doesn't have a problem with Allen scrambling/improvising when things break down. His post articulates the title well. I thought it was straightforward.

His own comment that I was responding too makes it clear that he thinks someone reading the title will be confused and respond inappropriately.  That makes it a silly title. 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You can assure me because you actually bothered looking or you just feel like providing assurances?

I can't assure you of this because I haven't looked for plays where he ran an RPO on a random 2nd down, but I'll make a friendly wager with you that he's significantly less than 10 YPC on those plays when it happens.

Ha the truth is somewhere between 2.9 and 10.  The OP is wildly misleading.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

with the exception ONLY of short yardage 3rd/4th down or goal line instances.

Although there's so much of a "Carolina connection" going here between Buffalo and the Panthers, one of the things I really hope to see McDermott and Daboll do opposite from Carolina is designed QB runs.

Cam Newton in Carolina has gained the vast majority of his rushing yards on the ground in designed running situations.  He's also the shell of his former physical self and he's not even 30 yet.

The guy is going into the age considered "prime" for NFL QBs and he might already be over-the-hill.

Designed QB runs like Read Options just ask for your QB to take hits.  They're almost inevitable in these cases.

But regardless, at least as far as the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills of 2018 are concerned, they weren't effective at all unless we're talking those short yardage instances I mentioned at the top.

Josh Allen 2018 Designed Run stats

2.9 Yards Per Carry

(38 Designed Runs, 112 yards, 3 TDs)

Before you assume I'm saying Allen shouldn't run or Daboll should make sure he never runs, I'm not saying that.

Allen should still be encouraged to run in the context of passing plays when they call for it.  When pressure comes quickly or his WRs/TEs/RBs are blanketed or there's just a wide open running lane for him, he should run and avoid big hits by sliding or running out of bounds.  He got much smarter with his running last year in terms of taking those unnecessary hits.

He shouldn't always be scrambling, but if Allen gains 400-500 +/- yards through a 16 game season with his legs through scrambling, I think that's a good supplement to our offense.  Besides, in 2018, Allen was so amazing running on designed passing plays that he gained significantly more on average than he would have just staying in the pocket passing the football:

Josh Allen 2018 Scramble stats

11.7 Yards Per Carry

(45 scrambles, 525 yards, 5 TDs)

(Those of you scratching your heads wondering why those numbers don't add up to his run totals on the year, it's because I discarded the 6 kneeldowns and -6 rushing yards from those kneeldowns he had in the Jags game, Detroit game, and 2nd Miami game.  Also, I had posted some numbers on here before that were different because I just realized today that I hadn't gone through the last game of the season, yet, where Allen scrambled 5 times for 103 yards and 1 TD.)

So even though the NFL seems to be bringing the Read-Option back and Allen is a serious running threat, using him intentionally as part of our designed running game is just a bad idea, so let's hope Daboll doesn't go that route.

Designed runs includes kneel downs, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

Do the stats for designed runs in the OP include QB sneaks in third and short or fourth and short situations?  if so, I think that YPC stat is perfectly acceptable.  I'm really not in favor of Daboll including a lot of designed runs in the offense.  Besides short yardage QB sneak plays, (which Josh Allen is good at) I wouldn't want to see more than one or two per game, but I can see using a designed QB run when nothing else is working.  I also think if the Bills are able to build a better offensive line this season, something I think we all agree is desperately needed, the need for designed QB runs will probably go down, even as their effectiveness would probably go up.

5 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

His own comment that I was responding too makes it clear that he thinks someone reading the title will be confused and respond inappropriately.  That makes it a silly title. 

Why?

The title specifies designed runs that we need to get rid of. To me, it's clear that specifying the idea of getting rid of "designed runs" rather than "all QB runs" implies I want to keep certain types of QB runs, which I specify in the OP.

The title is only misleading if that's all you read and you--for whatever odd and deluded reason--believe that all QB runs are designed by the OC, who I name.

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

with the exception ONLY of short yardage 3rd/4th down or goal line instances.

Although there's so much of a "Carolina connection" going here between Buffalo and the Panthers, one of the things I really hope to see McDermott and Daboll do opposite from Carolina is designed QB runs.

Cam Newton in Carolina has gained the vast majority of his rushing yards on the ground in designed running situations.  He's also the shell of his former physical self and he's not even 30 yet.

The guy is going into the age considered "prime" for NFL QBs and he might already be over-the-hill.

Designed QB runs like Read Options just ask for your QB to take hits.  They're almost inevitable in these cases.

But regardless, at least as far as the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills of 2018 are concerned, they weren't effective at all unless we're talking those short yardage instances I mentioned at the top.

Josh Allen 2018 Designed Run stats

2.9 Yards Per Carry

(38 Designed Runs, 112 yards, 3 TDs)

Before you assume I'm saying Allen shouldn't run or Daboll should make sure he never runs, I'm not saying that.

Allen should still be encouraged to run in the context of passing plays when they call for it.  When pressure comes quickly or his WRs/TEs/RBs are blanketed or there's just a wide open running lane for him, he should run and avoid big hits by sliding or running out of bounds.  He got much smarter with his running last year in terms of taking those unnecessary hits.

He shouldn't always be scrambling, but if Allen gains 400-500 +/- yards through a 16 game season with his legs through scrambling, I think that's a good supplement to our offense.  Besides, in 2018, Allen was so amazing running on designed passing plays that he gained significantly more on average than he would have just staying in the pocket passing the football:

Josh Allen 2018 Scramble stats

11.7 Yards Per Carry

(45 scrambles, 525 yards, 5 TDs)

(Those of you scratching your heads wondering why those numbers don't add up to his run totals on the year, it's because I discarded the 6 kneeldowns and -6 rushing yards from those kneeldowns he had in the Jags game, Detroit game, and 2nd Miami game.  Also, I had posted some numbers on here before that were different because I just realized today that I hadn't gone through the last game of the season, yet, where Allen scrambled 5 times for 103 yards and 1 TD.)

So even though the NFL seems to be bringing the Read-Option back and Allen is a serious running threat, using him intentionally as part of our designed running game is just a bad idea, so let's hope Daboll doesn't go that route.

HIs stats are so poor in the design run game because our o-line is so bad. Allen's natural athleticism takes over in the scrambles, it doesn't go away in the design runs, what happens there is his dependency on good blocking, the Bills don't have that.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Augie said:

He seems to have Gumby knees from what I saw last year, but there’s no point in pushing it. He did seem to learn to get down/OB as the year went on, so another area of progress. Keep making PROGRESS! 

I have been on this board too much......read this at first as "gugny knees".

• Haha (+1) 3

I would hope that having the cannon that he has he will develop into a very dangerous pocket passer but have the run as a weapon only if he needs it & with that the opposition will always have to keep that in mind but this year may be different now that they have some tape on him & i would hate for him to get his bell rung & be out for a few games .

But he seemed to get better with sliding & i think even while in college running was part of his game mainly because his lack of a O line to protect him which was the same here last year !! 

I hope McBean can get that fixed & that too will help him to not have to run nearly as much .

32 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I have been on this board too much......read this at first as "gugny knees".

While I’m sure @Gugny is a superior athlete with extreme flexibility, I’d be rather concerned if he is green from head to toe, unless of course he’s just getting with the spirit on St Patricks Day. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

While I’m sure @Gugny is a superior athlete with extreme flexibility, I’d be rather concerned if he is green from head to toe, unless of course he’s just getting with the spirit on St Patricks Day. 

I can assure you that I am closer to being Gumby than I am to being a superior affalete with supreme flexibility!!

Just now, Gugny said:

I can assure you that I am closer to being Gumby than I am to being a superior affalete with supreme flexibility!!

Feeling kinda green today? I hope it wasn’t that Friday Happy Hour that did you in.... Maybe take Pokey out for a ride and get some fresh air? That might help.