Daboll should eliminate designed QB runs from our offense

with the exception ONLY of short yardage 3rd/4th down or goal line instances.

Although there's so much of a "Carolina connection" going here between Buffalo and the Panthers, one of the things I really hope to see McDermott and Daboll do opposite from Carolina is designed QB runs.

Cam Newton in Carolina has gained the vast majority of his rushing yards on the ground in designed running situations.  He's also the shell of his former physical self and he's not even 30 yet.

The guy is going into the age considered "prime" for NFL QBs and he might already be over-the-hill.

Designed QB runs like Read Options just ask for your QB to take hits.  They're almost inevitable in these cases.

But regardless, at least as far as the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills of 2018 are concerned, they weren't effective at all unless we're talking those short yardage instances I mentioned at the top.

Josh Allen 2018 Designed Run stats

2.9 Yards Per Carry

(38 Designed Runs, 112 yards, 3 TDs)

Before you assume I'm saying Allen shouldn't run or Daboll should make sure he never runs, I'm not saying that.

Allen should still be encouraged to run in the context of passing plays when they call for it.  When pressure comes quickly or his WRs/TEs/RBs are blanketed or there's just a wide open running lane for him, he should run and avoid big hits by sliding or running out of bounds.  He got much smarter with his running last year in terms of taking those unnecessary hits.

He shouldn't always be scrambling, but if Allen gains 400-500 +/- yards through a 16 game season with his legs through scrambling, I think that's a good supplement to our offense.  Besides, in 2018, Allen was so amazing running on designed passing plays that he gained significantly more on average than he would have just staying in the pocket passing the football:

Josh Allen 2018 Scramble stats

11.7 Yards Per Carry

(45 scrambles, 525 yards, 5 TDs)

(Those of you scratching your heads wondering why those numbers don't add up to his run totals on the year, it's because I discarded the 6 kneeldowns and -6 rushing yards from those kneeldowns he had in the Jags game, Detroit game, and 2nd Miami game.  Also, I had posted some numbers on here before that were different because I just realized today that I hadn't gone through the last game of the season, yet, where Allen scrambled 5 times for 103 yards and 1 TD.)

So even though the NFL seems to be bringing the Read-Option back and Allen is a serious running threat, using him intentionally as part of our designed running game is just a bad idea, so let's hope Daboll doesn't go that route.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Although there's so much of a "Carolina connection" going here between Buffalo and the Panthers, one of the things I really hope to see McDermott and Daboll do opposite from Carolina is designed QB runs.

Cam Newton in Carolina has gained the vast majority of his rushing yards on the ground in designed running situations.  He's also the shell of his former physical self and he's not even 30 yet.

The guy is going into the age considered "prime" for NFL QBs and he might already be over-the-hill.

Designed QB runs like Read Options just ask for your QB to take hits.  They're almost inevitable in these cases.

But regardless, at least as far as the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills of 2018 are concerned, they weren't effective at all unless we're talking those short yardage instances I mentioned at the top.

2.9 Yards Per Carry

Before you assume I'm saying Allen shouldn't run or Daboll should make sure he never runs, I'm not saying that.

Allen should still be encouraged to run in the context of passing plays when they call for it.  When pressure comes quickly or his WRs/TEs/RBs are blanketed or there's just a wide open running lane for him, he should run and avoid big hits by sliding or running out of bounds.  He got much smarter with his running last year in terms of taking those unnecessary hits.

He shouldn't always be scrambling, but if Allen gains 400-500 +/- yards through a 16 game season with his legs through scrambling, I think that's a good supplement to our offense.  Besides, in 2018, Allen was so amazing running on designed passing plays that he gained significantly more on average than he would have just staying in the pocket passing the football:

11.7 Yards Per Carry

(Those of you scratching your heads wondering why those numbers don't add up to his run totals on the year, it's because I discarded the 6 kneeldowns and -6 rushing yards from those kneeldowns he had in the Jags game, Detroit game, and 2nd Miami game.  Also, I had posted some numbers on here before that were different because I just realized today that I hadn't gone through the last game of the season, yet, where Allen scrambled 5 times for 103 yards and 1 TD.)

So even though the NFL seems to be bringing the Read-Option back and Allen is a serious running threat, using him intentionally as part of our designed running game is just a bad idea, so let's hope Daboll doesn't go that route.

I've been screaming from the roof tops about this all offseason.  I can't stand that play it makes me cringe.  The only time we should use designed runs is when teams least expect in late gm situations against certain types of Defenses. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

He took very few hits on the improvised scrambles as well. He seems to have a knack for avoiding unnecessary contact ala Russ Wilson. It seems as though he got roughed up much more often on those designed runs. Agree with the OP.

That's exactly what I mean.

When a QB scrambles, he has a lot more control over whether he gets hit or not.

Designed runs, not so much.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Yes the pocket seems more dangerous for him than running; in the pocket he is asking for late hits which are not called.

He should be free to leave the pocket and scramble whenever he wants.  He seems to have a good enough pocket presence that I think he can be trusted to scramble when he sees fit.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

He seems to have Gumby knees from what I saw last year

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I don't want to see Josh on designed run plays.  We paid an arm and a leg for his passing mostly.  If we wanted designed runs we could have stuck with the guy we had.  Would stink to have him knocked out by The Legend or somebody on some dumb designed run play. 

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

I don't want to see Josh on designed run plays.  We paid an arm and a leg for his passing mostly.  If we wanted designed runs we could have stuck with the guy we had.  Would stink to have him knocked out by The Legend or somebody on some dumb designed run play. 

That’s a VERY good thing. He got bent backwards a few times last year when I was afraid he would leave on a cart. The way he takes off when the DB’s play man and turn their backs to him should dictate to the defense to some degree. Play zone or try to get by with a spy (but Kiko will tell you that may sound better than it works). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

2.9 Yards Per Carry

11.7 Yards Per Carry

Ridiculous, his legs are another part of his arsenal that DC's have to adapt to much like Steve Young, John Elway, Mike Vick, it would be dumb to take that away from him.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just goal line, 3rd and 4th down and on scramblesz. That’s it.  I’m fine with that

Yep.

Exactly what I'm hoping happens.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Ridiculous, his legs are another part of his arsenal that DC's have to adapt to much like Steve Young, John Elway, Mike Vick, it would be dumb to take that away from him.

Did you read? :doh:

I absolutely still want him to run.  I did not say I want Allen to stop running.

Try reading what I said in the OP again.

6 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

His designed run numbers are skewed because so many of them are designed to only get a yard.  When he’s in the middle of the field and keeps an RPO for himself on a random second down, I can assure you he averages more than that.

You can assure me because you actually bothered looking or you just feel like providing assurances?

I can't assure you of this because I haven't looked for plays where he ran an RPO on a random 2nd down, but I'll make a friendly wager with you that he's significantly less than 10 YPC on those plays when it happens.

1 hour ago, BillsSB2020 said:

He took very few hits on the improvised scrambles as well. He seems to have a knack for avoiding unnecessary contact ala Russ Wilson. It seems as though he got roughed up much more often on those designed runs. Agree with the OP.

That's because he ran away from the players chasing him and either got out of bounds or slid most times.

Agree.  Allen ran best off script.  Limit his hits and usage.  Outside of sneaks I would not call a run play for Allen.  Hopefully, Buffalo's offense improves and they have a run game that wont need Allen making as many plays with his legs.

• Like (+1) 1

It's weird that there are some in this thread who are thinking I'm saying Allen should never run.

Is it that we just read titles and respond to those alone or that we struggle with reading comprehension?  :blink:

To be very, very clear: I still want to see Allen running in 2019 and beyond, but only on passing plays.  

How could you NOT want a guy who's gaining over 11 yards per carry on those such plays running?!  :doh:

With the exception only of short yardage situations (3rd & 4th down and goal line instances) there's absolutely no reason for Daboll to put Allen in a designed run situation.

Edited by transplantbillsfan