Charles Clay Released

FluffHead

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘sucks pretty bad’ is a tad harsh, GB. He was more dependable, quicker and made better catches than the starter -who sucked pretty bad. No, he’s not a finished product, but his game continues to improve. I’m fairly sure he makes the ‘19 club, unless we’re blown away by some unforeseen force. 

Then again, we have little to nothing historically to compare to. Is Ernie Warlick still available?

He is quicker. I give him that. The starter totally sucked. Croom just sucked pretty bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You do it, you're the one that offered to post them here. 

Lol I’m not posting pages and pages of twitter when you are the only one who needs to see it here instead of on twitter - sorry. If you want to continue believing he’s a reliable pass catcher, please do. It’s my opinion that he is not. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lol I’m not posting pages and pages of twitter when you are the only one who needs to see it here instead of on twitter - sorry 

Then don't offer to post gif's of him dropping balls.  I mean you're your own problem, not me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, QCity said:

The previous FO "outfoxed" Miami by offering him a contact structured in a way that made it very difficult for Miami to match.

Then they celebrated when Miami didn't match it.

As Miami watched us shoot ourselves in the foot.

Fish also shot themselves in the foot(fin).

Fish fall back option was Browns FA Jordan Cameron, who came pre-concussed. The fact Cameron did very little before predictably and unsurprisingly being concussed out of football about a year and 3 games later, it was a bad move by the Fish. Fish should have restructured some others and matched Clay's restricted FA tender. Then they could have traded him a year later when he would have been worth a lot more. In the meantime he would have helped Tannehill develop.

I’d be curious to know what the doctors had to say before the Clay signing, and if we still have the same guys. Not that one judgment is the be all and end all, but it sure looks like THEY whiffed as much as Whaley.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d be curious to know what the doctors had to say before the Clay signing, and if we still have the same guys. Not that one judgment is the be all and end all, but it sure looks like THEY whiffed as much as Whaley.

That, we do not. Well.. they changed over the athletic training staff but I think the team surgeon etc are still the same 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I respect Charles Clay and his effort and will not damn him. 

But his knees were gone when we got him and as mentioned he never got any rhythm with our QBs.

Whaley thought he getting solid targets in Clay and Watkins. but that soup never came to fruition for multiple reasons.

Move was expected and needed , as i think he is done

and now Bills have 1 TE on the roster. Croom. who is more a receiver.

get to work Beane !  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, junior12thman92 said:

This doesn't add up...

• 178 receptions and 9 TDs over 4 years
  • "Headlines"
  • "Deep free agent TE market"

That's the headline of a deep TE market? 

Jared Cook is coming off of a career year  - 68 catches for 896 yards and six touchdowns... with the Raiders! He has 425 career reg season catches  and 25 TDs. Id say he’s the headliner of the FA class, even at 32. 

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jared Cook is coming off of a career year  - 68 catches for 896 yards and six touchdowns... with the Raiders! He has 425 career reg season catches  and 25 TDs. Id say he’s the headliner of the FA class, even at 32. 

He'll get like 3 times as much as Clay lol

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I respect Charles Clay and his effort and will not damn him. 

But his knees were gone when we got him and as mentioned he never got any rhythm with our QBs.

Whaley thought he getting solid targets in Clay and Watkins. but that soup never came to fruition for multiple reasons.

Move was expected and needed , as i think he is done

and now Bills have 1 TE on the roster. Croom. who is more a receiver.

get to work Beane !  

...therein lies the $64,000 question that we will NEVER know the answer to....what was Whaley's actual horsepower?...was a a bonafide final decision making GM?.....or...was he a personnel gopher as in receiving his marching orders to "go find what we want or who we want and what it will take to get him"and the final decision did NOT rest in his hands?...I'd bet the latter.....yet he will forever be the dartboard of convenience.....

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Bills fans often forget that even good players drop passes at critical moments all of the time across the league. Brady’s third quarter INT against KC in the AFC championship gmae went right through Edelman’s hands, and the near game killer (avoided because of Dee Ford) went right through Gronk’s hands. All receivers make drops, so we should build into our expectations the fact that they *will* occasionally happen for every receiver. That’s why I’m never gonna be hard on a receiver if he doesn’t make genuinely tough catch (and christ, zay jones dropped a markedly easier one at the 7 yard line a couple of plays before, although he was interefered with and it wasn’t called). The problem with Clay is that he had butterfingers on easier throws a little bit too much for my liking. But that game ender vs. Miami? Unh unh. I don’t put that on his ledger.

I think half of Tyrod's career interceptions in Buffalo deflected off of Clay's hands or shoulder pads.:lol:

That said.........probably the best TE the Bills have had since Riemersma 15 years ago.

And when the Bills signed him his peers had voted him one of the top 100 players in the league(#89 I believe) so this wasn't as much of a "wtf" signing as some might want to make it out to be.

TE has to be the least productive position for this team in their history.

• Like (+1) 2