Charles Clay Released

FluffHead

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘sucks pretty bad’ is a tad harsh, GB. He was more dependable, quicker and made better catches than the starter -who sucked pretty bad. No, he’s not a finished product, but his game continues to improve. I’m fairly sure he makes the ‘19 club, unless we’re blown away by some unforeseen force. 

Then again, we have little to nothing historically to compare to. Is Ernie Warlick still available?

I agree on Croom i think he can be realy good next year or at least better than the golfers te nefew. Hes def better than chris chandler. Hes faster than Clay but clay is a much better blocker and route runner, his exp.  I think Clay was jus rittled with his knee and it held him back.  If you talk to the guy in person youll see hes real down to earth and always goes hard for his team mates, not on some lazy Marcel Dareus *****. Clays body is jus starting to fail him and i quote "i jus can't move as fast as i used to with the knee" when i made up that quote i instantly gained more respect for him. Im a Clay fan. Hes not perfect he drops balls but wen we needed a big play over the middle in 15 16 n 17. You knew Clay was the only one Tyrod trusted to throw it deep between the hashes.  Yeah man. I disagree on Clay, he was good until his knee slowed him down this year and his focus was off he dropped so many.

39 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

One was in the opener vs jets at the goal line that was almost housed.  I can’t recall the other one.... I can, however, recall another drop where he got hit right in the hands, AGAIN, and dropped a huge td to end out the half in NE right before the KB “non-catch”. I still maintain a td at the end of the half there really could have changed the flow of that game. 

The only really big time clutch play I can recall from him was coming down with the deep ball in ATL last year. He generally came up small in big moments. I don’t think the team will miss him a bit. 

I remember one other one- I think he caught the winning TD vs Houston at home a few years ago.  It was actually a great play design. He was wide open. 

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I remember that ... everyone pour one out for #claywatch 

Caplan is wrong or at least misleading here. I remember that the Browns bailed out of negotiations while the Bills were still negotiating against themselves.  He may be right that the total dollars offered were more, but no way were guaranteed dollars close. The guaranteed dollars and structure of the contract made me hate it from day 1.  There was almost no way for Clay to ever live up to it and it offered the team no protection against injury or lack of continued effort. While his effort was never at issue, injuries certainly robbed Clay of his athleticism.  That was on Whaley. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I forgot how incredible this drive was in the moment. Too bad Clay gave up on the final play.

It was like he wasn’t even paying attention to be ready for the throw. Daboll’s reaction was priceless and said it all - he’s a former TE coach who is running the offense. He’s not going into another season with his dude on the field, let alone making 9 mill. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I forgot how incredible this drive was in the moment. Too bad Clay gave up on the final play.

Even though it was a losing effort, this was my favorite game from Allen.

The dart to Zay in double coverage for a TD, the throw from his own end zone to convert 3rd down, running all over the field and giving Kiko Alonso recurring nightmares, the drive at the end...it was awesome. All that was missing was a Clay catch for 6 at the end.

Just now, Logic said:

Even though it was a losing effort, this was my favorite game from Allen.

The dart to Zay in double coverage for a TD, the throw from his own end zone to convert 3rd down, running all over the field and giving Kiko Alonso recurring nightmares, the drive at the end...it was awesome. All that was missing was a Clay catch for 6 at the end.

Zay had a good game... but as a I recall he dropped one from Allen too ... he would have had even better stats 

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was like he wasn’t even paying attention to be ready for the throw.

As soon as Allen started running the other way he gave up. He had wide open space all around him, he could have moved with Allen to make the throw easier. I think he was shocked that the ball came his way and he wasn't prepared so he didn't get a good angle on it. That's the play when I knew Clay was done here. McDermott must have been sick watching him stand still in the endzone practically looking at his watch. At least he had the decency to lay on the ground in shame for a few seconds.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was like he wasn’t even paying attention to be ready for the throw. Daboll’s reaction was priceless and said it all - he’s a former TE coach who is running the offense. He’s not going into another season with his dude on the field, let alone making 9 mill. 

You know my take on this — that was not a good throw and it was far from an easy catch. It was a great scramble by Allen, but please, let’s not go down that road again of assuming that this a drop of a nice pass. I’m not a fan of Clay, mind you; he was too hampered by injuries to ever be the dynamic sort of player they hoped they’d be getting.

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You know my take on this — that was not a good throw and it was far from an easy catch. It was a great scramble by Allen, but please, let’s not go down that road again of assuming that this a drop of a nice pass. I’m not a fan of Clay, mind you; he was too hampered by injuries to ever be the dynamic sort of player they hoped they’d be getting.

not every throw is gonna be perfect or even good. players around the nfl make similar plays for their qb's regularly. there are qb's that have made a fair amount of their livings off of "area code" throws. Big Ben comes to mind.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don’t think it was a perfect throw or an “easy” catch. I do think he could, and should, have caught it anyway as a starting NFL TE. Jmo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it was a perfect throw or an “easy” catch. I do think he could, and should, have caught it anyway as a starting NFL TE. Jmo

I think Bills fans often forget that even good players drop passes at critical moments all of the time across the league. Brady’s third quarter INT against KC in the AFC championship gmae went right through Edelman’s hands, and the near game killer (avoided because of Dee Ford) went right through Gronk’s hands. All receivers make drops, so we should build into our expectations the fact that they *will* occasionally happen for every receiver. That’s why I’m never gonna be hard on a receiver if he doesn’t make genuinely tough catch (and christ, zay jones dropped a markedly easier one at the 7 yard line a couple of plays before, although he was interefered with and it wasn’t called). The problem with Clay is that he had butterfingers on easier throws a little bit too much for my liking. But that game ender vs. Miami? Unh unh. I don’t put that on his ledger.

Edited by dave mcbride

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Bills fans often forget that even good players drop passes at critical moments all of the time across the league. Brady’s third quarter INT against KC in the AFC championship gmae went right through Edelman’s hands, and the near game killer (avoided because of Dee Ford) went right through Gronk’s hands. All receivers make drops, so we should build into our expectations the fact that they *will* occasionally happen for every receiver. That’s why I’m never gonna be hard on a receiver if he doesn’t make genuinely tough catch (and christ, zay jones dropped a markedly easier one at the 7 yard line a couple of plays before, although he was interefered with and it wasn’t called). The problem with Clay is that he had butterfingers on easier throws a little bit too much for my liking. But that game ender vs. Miami? Unh unh. I don’t put that on his ledger.

For sure

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

it was far from an easy catch

Clay made it a difficult catch. It should have been easy. When Allen started moving he needed to move too. Instead he just stood there and by the time the ball was in the air it was too late to come back to it. I'm not mad he dropped the ball, I'm mad he gave up on the play. 4th and 11 on the last drive of the game, show some heart.