Charles Clay Released

FluffHead

13 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

In dont think its about the money so much as he could have put up better numbers else where.  According to a tweet I just read he was offered more by the Browns.

Yeah, and the Browns were an absolute dumpster fire at that point. They were the 1 exception to the rule. They have had 3 or 4 different GMs since that point and were like 1-31 at one point (or something). For the extra couple million it wasn’t worth it (plus the guaranteed portion from the Bills was massive). This situation worked out perfectly for Clay. I’m sure that he doesn’t regret his decision for 2 seconds. He made $33.5M over 4 years to be a guy. He’s not mad.

11 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Except most NFL players are competitors.  It had to be embarrassing and not very pleasant when a team releases you.  $33 million or not 

It’s not. I know a bunch of people that have been through it. It’s business above all else to every single guy that I’ve ever encountered (and I worked in pro sports for a decade). This isn’t high school sports. The goal isn’t championships. That’s the fans goal (not that anyone wants to lose). The goal is to provide for their families (and sometimes generations of family). That comes way before anything else.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will say this.  While this is a great move...Charles clay has been a good dude here.  Was leading receiver a couple times from a reception perspective.  Model citizen...so while hes *****...the signing wasnt as bad as some made it our to be. Ps he developed into a good blocker. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, and the Browns were an absolute dumpster fire at that point. They were the 1 exception to the rule. They have had 3 or 4 different GMs since that point and were like 1-31 at one point (or something). For the extra couple million it wasn’t worth it (plus the guaranteed portion from the Bills was massive). This situation worked out perfectly for Clay. I’m sure that he doesn’t regret his decision for 2 seconds. He made $33.5M over 4 years to be a guy. He’s not mad.

It was the largest percentage guaranteed of any non QB contract in the league at the point the Bills took up the option before year two to turn unguaranteed salary into guaranteed bonus. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really do think we are going to trade down with Washington (maybe another team, but I think Was) and grab an extra 2nd.  And one of those first 3 picks in rounds 1 and 2 will be one of the Iowa TE's and could be Hockenson at #15.  Irv is another guy I think on the radar too, but in the 2nd.  

So glad this Clay cut is official now.  Its possible they could grab someone in FA, but I doubt thats all they do.  There are not a lot of exciting options, but a few solid options.  I doubt Cook leaves the Raiders, Gruden loves him.  

One guy I would really like to get though who is not officially available yet is Cameron Brate.  They have a lot of needs there, and they already have Howard.  He could be a candidate to be cut for cap savings, or obviously a potential trade target.  Maybe send Bucs one of our extra day 3 picks for him. He's a pretty good player IMO, and better choice than any of the other TE's. I also wouldnt mind Jesse James or Harris from KC if its a FA signing.  

Ultimate preference though is one of the Iowa TE's in the first or 2nd round.  

Bye Clay.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not. I know a bunch of people that have been through it. It’s buskness above all else to every single guy that I’ve ever encountered (and I worked in pro sports for a decade). This isn’t high school sports. The goal isn’t championships. That’s the fans goal (not that anyone wants to lose). The goal is to provide for their families (and sometimes generations of family). That comes way before anything else.

We’ll agree to disagree.  Always skeptical of anyone on her who says “I know people in the NFL.”

I didn't read the entire thread but it should be remembered that Clay was brought in for a specific reason and offense, the one being designed by Greg Roman, which featured exactly the kind of player Clay was. Injuries hurt Clay, and Roman and his offense didn't ever get off the ground or last all that long. But Clay surely did not do as well as he should have, even playing in other styles. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillyWhiteShows said:

Someone on the Bills Facebook page legitimately wrote “we never should have gotten rid of O’leary.”  He was 100% serious and several other knuckleheads agreed.  How crazy is that?

Bills fans- the only people who value Nick O'Leary more than Odell Beckham, Jr.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Someone on the Bills Facebook page legitimately wrote “we never should have gotten rid of O’leary.”  He was 100% serious and several other knuckleheads agreed.  How crazy is that?

Actually I agree, we shouldn't. But not because he could have been a starting tight end. Just because he does at least have a business on an NFL roster... at the back end of it. Logan Thomas on the other hand has no business being on an NFL roster as a tight end (or Quarterback for that matter). Year 3 of the great conversion experiment he still can't even run a route. 

31 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Cutting Trent Murphy saves us $5 million too.

Just sayin...?

That is next. 

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Aahhhhhhhhhh

the last of the overpaid whaley stench has been purged.

GLORIOUS DAY IS GLORIOUS

It seems amazing that the Bills actually tried to operate for several years without wanting so say who was the GM.  I am not remembering this correct?  Odd..

3 hours ago, Adam727 said:

As some others have already said the writing was on the wall with this one.

I'm still in the minority disappointed by this move though.  This was the first year that Clay was going to be worth his contract.  Even if 2018 wasn't his best year, it's hard to argue the Bills will be able to find someone better in FA for less than $4.5mil/year.  

No, 4.5 is what they saved. He had another 4.5 he'd cost if he was on the roster. He was a 9 mil cap hit.

Even by your incorrect math, the guy had 21 catches, 184 yards, and no touchdowns. You can find plenty of guys for less than 4.5 million who will out perform that.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I didn't read the entire thread but it should be remembered that Clay was brought in for a specific reason and offense, the one being designed by Greg Roman, which featured exactly the kind of player Clay was. Injuries hurt Clay, and Roman and his offense didn't ever get off the ground or last all that long. But Clay surely did not do as well as he should have, even playing in other styles. 

Style of play, like getting open and catching the ball???

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually I agree, we shouldn't. But not because he could have been a starting tight end. Just because he does at least have a business on an NFL roster... at the back end of it. Logan Thomas on the other hand has no business being on an NFL roster as a tight end (or Quarterback for that matter). Year 3 of the great conversion experiment he still can't even run a route. 

That is next. 

Are you serious!  O’Leary has a whopping 8 catches for 86 yards.  

Logan Thomas actually had more receptions.  I would agree that it’s time to turn the page on the Logan Thomas experiment but O’Leary is no great loss for the team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1