Charles Clay Released

FluffHead

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..certainly agree.....you know my friend, as I head into year 57 following this club, I'm steadfast saying THE most neglected spot EASILY at #1 is QB post Kelly era....BUT....the TE spot ranks closely behind at #2....effing up TWO keys positions is beyond comprehension....gimme some Robert Royal....NOT....SMH..........

Yes sir, we agree.  I agree because you used the word neglected for TE.  However the WR position because of the embarrassing quarterback play is easily the #2 issue for me.  Relatively speaking Clay did outstanding.  In 2015 he ranked 2nd in team catches and 3rd in yards, 2016 ranked 1st and 2nd, 2017 ranked 2nd and 1st.  

Relative to an offense producing awful passing numbers he out performed at his position.  

47 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did miss the Raiders game that one year because his wife had a baby the day before the game ... [ducks]

If he was a better teammate he would have got her knocked up so she had baby between February and August. 

Birth of a baby is a great reason for a veteran to skip camp.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Yes sir, we agree.  I agree because you used the word neglected for TE.  However the WR position because of the embarrassing quarterback play is easily the #2 issue for me.  Relatively speaking Clay did outstanding.  In 2015 he ranked 2nd in team catches and 3rd in yards, 2016 ranked 1st and 2nd, 2017 ranked 2nd and 1st.  

Relative to an offense producing awful passing numbers he out performed at his position.  

...yup, but I would say that WR neglect is more recent than the long term neglect of QB and TE.......simply my opinion....it appears (hopefully) that the QB spot has been addressed...a/k/a I really like this Allen kid's moxy, ethic, gamer mentality and brass bawls....fix WR and TE spots for this kid and we could be on to something promising here....stay tuned....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I know this may sound petty but there was a play, against the Browns, in a pre-season game this past year, where he made a terrible effort at a block and it either got our RB or QB killed....can’t remember which but it was at that point I wanted him gone.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

As predicted in most corners.  Glad they let him go prior to FA signing period as increases odds for him to possibly catch on with another team.

Solid citizen, nice talent with bad knees.

Exactly.  Was trashed unfairly by many but was really hampered by injuries (and bad QBs).  Not at all unhappy they are moving on, and think it speaks volumes to future free agents that the Bills' organization treats players "right" (i.e., giving him a chance in FA).

2 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Overrated, a 3rd round pick at best. Slow.

First round #10-22

Same speed as Gronk....

Summary

The 2018 John Mackey Award winner was a threat when asked to line up inline, wing, and in the slot. He has the acceleration and body control to be a mismatch against linebackers and the natural strength to overpower defensive backs before and after the catch. Hockenson has vacuum hands with fluid body adjustments to catch the ball in stride and track the ball into his mitts. He will be reliable in any offensive scheme at the next level.

Projection: 1st Round

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

I didn't realize his knees were so bad. He was considered a top 5 TE when we first signed him. Too bad we couldn't get a pick for him. We have so many holes to fill on this roster now! It's ridiculous. I can't see how we can fill most of them in just 1 offseason. I'm thinking we probably won't be competitive before 2020 at the earliest. We need multiple WR's, multiple RB's, multiple TE's, multiple OL, Kyle's replacement, another CB, Lorenzo's replacement, a punter and a few ST aces. 2021 maybe?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Bills are definitely drafting a TE early. Good thing it's the best TE draft in at least a decade.

Gonna be hard to beat the Kittle, Engram, Howard draft. We still got some other guys from that draft that have big potential like Everett from the Rams and Junnu Smith from Tenn.

• Like (+1) 1

No surprise at all but it still sucks that it didn't work out. I don't want to make excuses for him but he didn't exactly get the best QB play while he was here. But even considering that, his production was bad and with his knees I doubt he has long left to play either.

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

No surprise at all but it still sucks that it didn't work out. I don't want to make excuses for him but he didn't exactly get the best QB play while he was here. But even considering that, his production was bad and with his knees I doubt he has long left to play either.

Pretty much where I come down on him.