BREAKING: NFL, Kap, and Reid settle Grievance Case about Collusion

Alphadawg7

18 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Because, he has personally called out people for wrongdoings.

If he's concerned about these things then reach out to others and work together to try and solve it.

Coming together and working together will get things solved.

I appreciate your comments, but I also take some issue to people telling Kap what he “should” be doing instead, as many have done since this started.

Everyone expresses themselves in different ways, which is one of the great things about being an American.  There are those who work quietly behind the scenes for a cause, and there are also some who just create confrontation and challenge others to think in a different way.

Whether people agree or disagree with Kap, it’s undeniable that he brought attention to an issue and started a national dialogue.  Personally, I give him credit.  I think what he did took courage.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

It's not uncommon for a plaintiff's lawyer to push a suit with questionable liability in hopes of settling. That's especially true of cases like this where the defendant has a strong interest in seeing the story go away.

It's money in the bag for Kaep and he has no reason to push the arbitration process any longer. Most organizations have some kind of arbitration clause where disputes are first taken up with it before civil courts have jurisdiction.. 

If he hadn't got what he wanted in the trial, i'm sure he would have then brought a civil suit. it's just cheaper, particularly for smaller cases, for everyone obviously but clearly Kaep, the plaintiff, has less resources to drag this on if he has enough dirt than the NFL does.

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Kaeps final season had 16:4 TD:Int ratio, ran for about 500 yards.... 90 QBR. The vegan diet is the dumbest reason....  It's disingenuous to bring up these side issues as reasons he's not playing. The only reason he hasn't been given a chance is because of the protests. That should be clear to everyone, regardless of your stance on it's merits.

Arian Foster had his best season after converting to a vegan diet.  I remember a boatload of Titans this past season converted to a predominantly vegan diet. It's more common than we probably know.   Not buying this one either.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...allegedly he had a job but the money wasn't enough......$7 mil a year for 2016 and 2017 each.....so now he substantially more for DOING NOTHING....not a sham, right?.....isn't worth an Earl Scheib $29.95 paint job........

Source: Kap not willing to take Broncos' current pay-cut offer

Colin Kaepernick is willing to take a pay cut to play for the Denver Broncos, just not one as large as the reigning Super Bowl champions would like.

The Broncos are offering Kaepernick an annual salary of $7 million for the 2016 season and the 2017 season, a source close to the situation told CSNBayArea.com on Tuesday.

Kaepernick and the Broncos have "made progress" on a contract that would run through 2020, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Monday.

But the finances over the first two years are not favorable for Kaepernick. Agreeing to Denver's offer would cost the 28-year-old quarterback $12.4 million in base salary, and potentially as much as $16.2 million, over the next two years. His current contract with the 49ers pays a base salary of $11.9 million for the 2016 season and $14.5 million in 2017.

Even if the 49ers were to release Kaepernick before April 1 of next year, the quarterback could earn up to $14.3 million in 2016 -- more than the $14 million he would earn in two years with Denver.

Kaepernick would consider a deal with the Broncos that is slightly under his salary with the 49ers, according to the source. But Kaepernick “made his statement” regarding Denver’s current offer by reporting to San Francisco’s offseason program

Thats not a fair thing to pin on him.  He was employed still with 49ers at that point and thought he had more value and didn’t know that once he was no longer with 49ers he wouldn’t get another job.

I love how any other player declining pay cuts is normal biz, but Kap doing it way back then makes him a monster.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...allegedly he had a job but the money wasn't enough......$7 mil a year for 2016 and 2017 each.....so now he substantially more for DOING NOTHING....not a sham, right?.....isn't worth an Earl Scheib $29.95 paint job........

Colin Kaepernick is willing to take a pay cut to play for the Denver Broncos, just not one as large as the reigning Super Bowl champions would like.

The Broncos are offering Kaepernick an annual salary of $7 million for the 2016 season and the 2017 season, a source close to the situation told CSNBayArea.com on Tuesday.

Kaepernick and the Broncos have "made progress" on a contract that would run through 2020, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Monday.

But the finances over the first two years are not favorable for Kaepernick. Agreeing to Denver's offer would cost the 28-year-old quarterback $12.4 million in base salary, and potentially as much as $16.2 million, over the next two years. His current contract with the 49ers pays a base salary of $11.9 million for the 2016 season and $14.5 million in 2017.

Even if the 49ers were to release Kaepernick before April 1 of next year, the quarterback could earn up to $14.3 million in 2016 -- more than the $14 million he would earn in two years with Denver.

Kaepernick would consider a deal with the Broncos that is slightly under his salary with the 49ers, according to the source. But Kaepernick “made his statement” regarding Denver’s current offer by reporting to San Francisco’s offseason program

So you think he made a mistake in not agreeing to Denver's offer of 2 years at $7 million per, instead of staying with SF with his current contract where he would earn about $26 million over the next 2 years?

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

So you think he made a mistake in not agreeing to Denver's offer of 2 years at $7 million per, instead of staying with SF with his current contract where he would earn about $26 million over the next 2 years?

...freedom of choice...his and not mine.....

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats not a fair thing to pin on him.  He was employed still with 49ers at that point and thought he had more value and didn’t know that once he was no longer with 49ers he wouldn’t get another job.

I love how any other player declining pay cuts is normal biz, but Kap doing it way back then makes him a monster.  

...point taken and respected....differing yet respected opinions make this place work my friend......thanks....:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...freedom of choice...his and not mine.....

...point taken and respected....differing yet respected opinions make this place work my friend......thanks....:thumbsup:

All good, and your opinion is not without merit.  

Just think is unfair to hang certain things on him that are not being hung on other players.

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, and your opinion is not without merit.  

Just think is unfair to hang certain things on him that are not being hung on other players.

...in deference to my respected posting friend, Kaep's politics have NEVER entered into my equation....with the "old dawg" heading into year 57 of following da Bills and NFL, all I care about is "between the white stripes"....what happens outside of them is inconsequential for me....Kaep hit the limelight early as a 2nd from Nevada.....just think that his early success, focusing more on "tats 'n poses" distracted him from the job he was getting paid for, namely an NFL starting QB.....those distractions allowed opposing DC's to figure him out in short order to where he became ineffective.....RG III was similar but with the gross injury mismanagement of Shanascamadded in.....DC's figured him out....he took all of the credit in a post game "W" presser but threw every teammate under the bus in a post game "L".....so I think I'm trying to equally put the blame solely on these players' stalled NFL careers for what occurred between the stripes versus outside of them...

1 hour ago, Success said:

I appreciate your comments, but I also take some issue to people telling Kap what he “should” be doing instead, as many have done since this started.

Everyone expresses themselves in different ways, which is one of the great things about being an American.  There are those who work quietly behind the scenes for a cause, and there are also some who just create confrontation and challenge others to think in a different way.

Whether people agree or disagree with Kap, it’s undeniable that he brought attention to an issue and started a national dialogue.  Personally, I give him credit.  I think what he did took courage.

I didn't say he SHOULD be doing these things, but rather I would like to see him take the initiative to do so. That would speak volumes to me.

Also, this national dialogue he has created, has it truly brought people together or divided people even further?

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Kaepernick and his agent denied that Denver ever made such an offer and when pressed, Elway admitted as much.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

Kaeps final season had 16:4 TD:Int ratio, ran for about 500 yards.... 90 QBR. The vegan diet is the dumbest reason....  It's disingenuous to bring up these side issues as reasons he's not playing. The only reason he hasn't been given a chance is because of the protests. That should be clear to everyone, regardless of your stance on it's merits.

I haven’t checked your final season stats but based on what you said I agree. He was good enough to be given another opportunity in the league! But I also don’t blame any team for not wanting to invite controversy into their franchise. That doesn’t mean their was collusion within the league to keep Kap out necessarily. He kinda did it to himself regardless of whether there really was collusion!

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There are a lot of unemployed players who juries would say are more qualified than players currently playing but I doubt anyone of them are qualified to work for a NFL team to determine who is a good fit for a team.

All true, but the jury doesn't need to assess whether other players are more qualified - only if there is evidence of collusion between at least 2 parties.  One discussion between two team owners or player personnel decision makers (or email or text chain) opining that Kaep should not be hired by either team (or better yet, any team) is all it takes, and it doesn't even have to be "beyond a reasonable doubt" for a civil case - just "more likely than not".

7 hours ago, Bring it said:

Proof? No doubt that some of these killings are unjustified! But I’ve sat a jury enough to also know that the general public and certainly not the media hear all the evidence in a case. And yes one piece of evidence can change a lot! 

Did Kap have access to evidence in these cases and others that most people don’t? We don’t know that either way.

I certainly don’t think that gunning someone down because of their race is right! But, I sure wouldn’t want to be a cop and have to go into some of these hair trigger situations either. No matter the color of the people involved.

I guess my problem with Kap is his kneeling whether intentional or not disrespected the many good cops that are out there. Along with our vets! Now he has profited from it. That leaves me disgusted!

1.  Police have an exponentially difficult job.  That job is made infinitely harder by bigoted cops or cops who are simply bad at their job.  Just like some people working at a plant or in an office setting are good at their job and others aren't.  Being a police officer doesn't make one infallible from incompetence, and it surely doesn't make them, by virtue of being simply being a police officer, a good person.  Bigots go to work like everyone else.  What might help good cops, aside from weeding out the bigots or power trippers in their midst, is for county, state and federal governments to stop having police officers be a catch all for every circumstance.  Sometimes a mental health expert or a social worker is what's really needed, and money needs to be put into paying that personnel and for the needed services.  Mental health is a true national emergency.  But, hey, tax cuts and walls and whatnot...

2.  Veterans had nothing to do with why Kaepernick or Reid or any other player was kneeling;  that was a conflation made by politicians and conservative talk show pundits to distract from the stated reasons for the protest.  Why is that?  Because those people are fine with the status quo.  If not one NFL player ever knelt, but instead mentioned in interviews the issues as they viewed them, or wore, for instance, the same yellow wristbands that some NFL players wore in the '91 NFL playoffs as a symbol of solidarity with the military, people would still complain.   There are those who are uncomfortable with protest, in general, and they will attack the means of protest as opposed to the issue being protested.  

They will attack the bus strike as opposed to people being relegated to riding in the back of one or having to give up, even those seats, due to their color - while still paying the same fare.  They will attack the sit-in as opposed to the reality American citizens are not allowed to eat at the same establishment or shop in the same store.  They will ask why "those people" have to move into this neighborhood and cause trouble, even though it's some people who live in neighborhood that deface property, kill pets and generally cause the trouble -- all in efforts to run "those people" out of it.   As opposed to having a problem with Kaepernick or others,  do you ever ask why they feel a need to protest?

For some of you non black, brown, yellow or red people, in my wickedest thoughts, I wish you could spend time in the same skin and have to deal with or listen to all the soft hostility, slick "jokes,"  hypocritical double-talk that belies centuries of history or outright blatant vitriol that you would have to deal with and listen to. Then I think better of it and wouldn't wish it on you.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Jason Reid literally wrote the best summary I’ve seen, thanks for sharing and totally agree with you 

9 hours ago, mannc said:

Yes, he did.

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This is awesome; thanks!!!!

Totally agree.  Reid makes mention of Paul Gutierrez writing something even more thorough, but I cannot find it.  I looked on his Twitter and found nothing; checked ESPN and found nothing.  Anyone have any luck finding what he wrote?

16 hours ago, SDS said:

Your summary is a gross misinterpretation of the $25k he donated to a specific organization. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colin-kaepernick-assata-shakur/

Assata’s Daughters is a Chicago group that focuses on black female empowerment in the tradition of Asaata Shakur.

Well....what is the "empowerment tradition" of a person who is infamous only for aiding and abetting the murder of a police officer (and then escaping from prison).

Could his money have better spent?  Maybe.  He was making a statement with that donation in particular.