BREAKING: NFL, Kap, and Reid settle Grievance Case about Collusion

Alphadawg7

13 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Cletus.  Better?  You don't like being called stupid?  Don't be such an #######.

You're an angry one.  Are you related to any of the owners?  You took it kind of personal that I suggested they could've left a trail of crumbs giving Kaep's legal team a case.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A little surprised as I thought this was a slam dunk case for the NFL.  It's very difficult to prove collusion so maybe there was something in Goodell's or other owners emails or text messages that suggested it which is why a gag order was put into place after the agreement.  Or, the NFL just wanted it to end.  Who knows.

I agree. Likely the league just wanted to move on. Fine by me, if I never have to hear again about CK it'll be to soon.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting:
" Lawsuits and arbitrations arising from employment issues routinely include a declaration that the former employee will not apply for employment with the company and will not accept an offer of employment with the company in the future. This term preemptively blocks an effort by a disgruntled former employee to take a settlement and then show up seeking a job at some point down the road, arguing that a failure to employ the person constitutes retaliation for the prior legal claim and settlement of it. "

The article points out that Eric Reid's new contract with the Panthers makes clear his settlement does not include such a term.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Why would a team hire his with headaches he brought to NFL and specifically 49ers?

That's a reasonable viewpoint, and certainly one that outspoken players (like "Shady") have pointed out - in the NFL, your talent/headache ratio matters.  If your talent level is high enough, teams overlook your headache.  If your talent level isn't so stellar, better avoid creating headaches for your team.

OTOH, I can understand the settlement if there is evidence that at least 2 teams or owners communicated about not hiring him due to his manner of expressing his political views.  There might indeed be sufficient evidence of collusion to satisfy the "more likely than not" standard of a civil case, and Kaep was playing well enough in 2016 to add to his conf. champ and SB appearance, compare to some of the guys who are getting paid to throw footballs in the NFL, and convince a jury.

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A little surprised as I thought this was a slam dunk case for the NFL.  It's very difficult to prove collusion so maybe there was something in Goodell's or other owners emails or text messages that suggested it which is why a gag order was put into place after the agreement.  Or, the NFL just wanted it to end.  Who knows.

It's not uncommon for a plaintiff's lawyer to push a suit with questionable liability in hopes of settling. That's especially true of cases like this where the defendant has a strong interest in seeing the story go away.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah he is a guy who spends millions (before the protests ever started too, not just after) and dedicated time and work to a number of charities and social causes.  Yet people, including here, still want to believe he’s a monster and also judge his character based on their opinion of him as a QB and the fact he protested in a way they didn’t like.

Meanwhile a true monster in Vick never received remotely close to the kind of hate Kap gets.  One is a violent murderer for pleasure of defenseless animals and the other fights for social issues and charitable causes.

Society has some serious priority issues.

19 hours ago, B-Man said:

After all the hoopla...Kaepernick took the money, and a confidentiality agreement.

It was NEVER about "Principle & Conviction".

It was ALWAYS about the Benjamins.

These two posts sum everything up to almost everyone's reaction to Kaepernick and I see both sides.

I never fully understood Kaepernick's protest. It didn't bother me as much as it did others, I just found it to be silly and an attention grab. I always wondered if he really felt this way all the time, why did he start doing it only after he lost his starting job?

It's true that Kaepernick does give plenty to charity and that is a good thing. I've heard that he has helped out many people who are in need.

What I dislike about Kaepernick are his actions and the things he has said to the public. The pig socks were stupid and then telling everyone that he isn't registered to vote was baffling, but I should not have been surprised. What kind of message is he sending to people?

When I ask his supporters of what Kaepernick has done to really make a difference about the problems in this country, I either get called a racist or stupid or they just tell me to "Shut Up!". I have not once seen Kaepernick go to city, state, or federal officials and attempt to work on these problems he's concerned with. Why not work with top officials of the police to come together and discuss? When I bring this up to his supporters, they tell me, "Why would he do that? They are the enemy!"

I guess to his supporters, talking to people to try to fix things is the wrong thing to do. It's best to ignore the problem and not talk at all.

Kaepernick has garnered a lot of attention from all of this, and in my opinion, that was the point from the start. Now he's going to get paid for this "conspiracy" against him, and now he can go out and say that he has been a victim all of his life. Whatever.

If this means we don't have to see or hear about him anymore, I'm relieved.

• Like (+1) 1

If Josh Allen had a 4 td to 1 int ratio next year, some fans would drop to their knees.  The nfl and their fake patriot fans are such a joke.  People beating women, no protests.  Kneeling and silently protest, let’s burn down the stadium!!! 

Kaepernick is a flawed messenger but he is doing a lot for people than the the majority of the “true Americans” complaining about him. He is also one of the 35 best QBs on the planet and the whole thing was a joke to begin with. And now he is going to get paid.  The nfl is so stupid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

These two posts sum everything up to almost everyone's reaction to Kaepernick and I see both sides.

I never fully understood Kaepernick's protest. It didn't bother me as much as it did others, I just found it to be silly and an attention grab. I always wondered if he really felt this way all the time, why did he start doing it only after he lost his starting job?

It's true that Kaepernick does give plenty to charity and that is a good thing. I've heard that he has helped out many people who are in need.

What I dislike about Kaepernick are his actions and the things he has said to the public. The pig socks were stupid and then telling everyone that he isn't registered to vote was baffling, but I should not have been surprised. What kind of message is he sending to people?

When I ask his supporters of what Kaepernick has done to really make a difference about the problems in this country, I either get called a racist or stupid or they just tell me to "Shut Up!". I have not once seen Kaepernick go to city, state, or federal officials and attempt to work on these problems he's concerned with. Why not work with top officials of the police to come together and discuss? When I bring this up to his supporters, they tell me, "Why would he do that? They are the enemy!"

I guess to his supporters, talking to people to try to fix things is the wrong thing to do. It's best to ignore the problem and not talk at all.

Kaepernick has garnered a lot of attention from all of this, and in my opinion, that was the point from the start. Now he's going to get paid for this "conspiracy" against him, and now he can go out and say that he has been a victim all of his life. Whatever.

If this means we don't have to see or hear about him anymore, I'm relieved.

Don't ask his supporters, if you really want answers, look into it yourself. Just because the people you speak to don't know what he is doing, doesn't mean he's not doing good things. I always have a problem with people that criticize those that are trying to help, but just not trying to help how you want them to. You don't like that he's not meeting with certain officials, but we know that his is donating millions in doing other endeavors. Why isn't that enough for you?

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Why would a team hire his with headaches he brought to NFL and specifically 49ers?

Why would teams deal with the headaches of a crappy QB like Peterman, Sanchez.... instead of someone who is likely much better?  Last opening day, I would have preferred the attention of having Kaep as opposed to having to have Peterman start for us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Why would teams deal with the headaches of a crappy QB like Peterman, Sanchez.... instead of someone who is likely much better?  Last opening day, I would have preferred the attention of having Kaep as opposed to having to have Peterman start for us.

Because Kaep's flaws as QB are well known and ingrained.  I personally thought Peterman was not NFL material but evidently Bills front office thought that with work being paid a minimal salary he was worth effort but Kaep was not at required higher salary, a salary I doubt would be NFL minimum.  Kaep also went into the vegan diet thing which I know worries NFL nutritionists. 

Regarding Sanchez I have no idea but would not be a QB I would sign but no NFL front office would pay for my opinion and I do not expect them to nor pretend otherwise or say they should be fired for not.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Because Kaep's flaws as QB are well known and ingrained.  I personally thought Peterman was not NFL material but evidently Bills front office thought that with work being paid a minimal salary he was worth effort but Kaep was not at required higher salary, a salary I doubt would be NFL minimum.  Kaep also went into the vegan diet thing which I know worries NFL nutritionists. 

Regarding Sanchez I have no idea but would not be a QB I would sign but no NFL front office would pay for my opinion and I do not expect them to nor pretend otherwise or say they should be fired for not.

...allegedly he had a job but the money wasn't enough......$7 mil a year for 2016 and 2017 each.....so now he substantially more for DOING NOTHING....not a sham, right?.....isn't worth an Earl Scheib $29.95 paint job........

Source: Kap not willing to take Broncos' current pay-cut offer

Colin Kaepernick is willing to take a pay cut to play for the Denver Broncos, just not one as large as the reigning Super Bowl champions would like.

The Broncos are offering Kaepernick an annual salary of $7 million for the 2016 season and the 2017 season, a source close to the situation told CSNBayArea.com on Tuesday.

Kaepernick and the Broncos have "made progress" on a contract that would run through 2020, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Monday.

But the finances over the first two years are not favorable for Kaepernick. Agreeing to Denver's offer would cost the 28-year-old quarterback $12.4 million in base salary, and potentially as much as $16.2 million, over the next two years. His current contract with the 49ers pays a base salary of $11.9 million for the 2016 season and $14.5 million in 2017.

Even if the 49ers were to release Kaepernick before April 1 of next year, the quarterback could earn up to $14.3 million in 2016 -- more than the $14 million he would earn in two years with Denver.

Kaepernick would consider a deal with the Broncos that is slightly under his salary with the 49ers, according to the source. But Kaepernick “made his statement” regarding Denver’s current offer by reporting to San Francisco’s offseason program

42 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Don't ask his supporters, if you really want answers, look into it yourself. Just because the people you speak to don't know what he is doing, doesn't mean he's not doing good things. I always have a problem with people that criticize those that are trying to help, but just not trying to help how you want them to. You don't like that he's not meeting with certain officials, but we know that his is donating millions in doing other endeavors. Why isn't that enough for you?

Because, he has personally called out people for wrongdoings.

If he's concerned about these things then reach out to others and work together to try and solve it.

Coming together and working together will get things solved.

The NFL was going to lose bad in the court of public opinion. Their base fan base is mostly young millennials who consume the game & are interested in the men behind the masks. They are the ones who drive the league’s growth both digitally, internationally, and on selling apparel. These fans follow their favorite players Instagram & twitter accounts.

Kaepernick is iconic because he came of age at a time when the game was changing & our country was trending towards political polarization. Here was the next Randall Cunningham level athlete who was trying to be fit into a box by people who said he couldn’t throw from the pocket, mostly the same people who opposed his image. Somehow this kid worked well inside of the offense of one of the strictest coaches in the NFL. Harbough designed an offense where he could destroy teams with RPOs seen in college, but the general public were told couldn’t work in the pro game. 

Inevitably came the injuries on defense and the FO failure to reload the pool of talent that New England seems to only replenish thanks to a genius FO of Belichick & Ernie Adams. Kaepernick lost teammates and coaches. By 2016 Kaepernick had realized his time in the NFL would be short. He was approaching 29 & with limited time to get to a winner given his style of play, he was faced with a choice. Rather than bow out sight unseen like Vontae Davis he decided to shed light on an issue near his heart. He chose to use his celebrity and status to start a national conversation about police brutality and racism.  

The NFL was always going to lose the Trump fans who need to be told how to think and feel. Fans who could be triggered with one tweet or sound bite. What the NFL couldn’t afford to lose was their new fan base as loyal to individual players than they are to teams. Fans who could empathize with Kaepernick and respect his activism. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Arguably, so did Kaep.

There absolutely could have been collusion against Ray Rice. 

He violated the CBA and was suspended (the NFL was well within their rights to do that). When the suspension ended Rice was re-instated by the league, but no teams offered him a contract. 

If, after he was re-instated, the league circulated a memo/email that said "No teams can offer Ray Rice a contract" then that would be collusion. If each team independently decided that Ray Rice was not worth signing then he wouldn't have a case. 

This may have been a smart move on the league’s part.  It immediately ends the legitimacy of Karl’s beef with the NFL,and it shields whatever evidence there may or may not have existed to support the collusion claim.  

The effectively told the public: “watch this.  I bet this guy takes a hush hush cash payoff instead of arguing in open court for his cause”.  

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Kaeps final season had 16:4 TD:Int ratio, ran for about 500 yards.... 90 QBR. The vegan diet is the dumbest reason....  It's disingenuous to bring up these side issues as reasons he's not playing. The only reason he hasn't been given a chance is because of the protests. That should be clear to everyone, regardless of your stance on it's merits.

• Like (+1) 1