BREAKING: NFL, Kap, and Reid settle Grievance Case about Collusion

Alphadawg7

35 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

So did MANY other players who were ultimately given a second chance after serving their suspension. Rice could easily argue he was not given that same opportunity because of collusion between the owners.

Also one last thing. I'm not trying to jump on you or anything but this just jumped into my mind... I believe the NFL has the right to suspend "indefinitely" as part of the CBA. So they could just say he's suspended until he's fifty.

25 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I know the cases are different but can’t the argument also be made that hiring Kaepernick could also impact the bottom line? (I honestly thought this is why the NFL would win this case)

It would be an extremely weak argument as NFL revenues keep increasing. Also, the league is extremely reluctant to have their books opened for examination. Green Bay’s financials, since they have to be disclosed by law, offer a good glimpse. Kaepernick and others who took a knee had no impact.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-financials-show-that-nfl-made-billions-despite-national-anthem-controversy/

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

For the record, I have no issue with the NFL not bringing Rice back. I am just using him as an example to say I am surprised they caved on the Kaepernick lawsuit because it is a bad precedent that could open a can of worms.

I don't know that the NFL "caved" though.  They don't have a track record of caving.  They pursued their golden boy Brady to the bitter end until they won, even with defeat along the way, they kept going to higher courts to keep fighting.  They did the same thing with Zeke too.  Even to the point where it started looking bad for them, they ultimately won in both cases and got the suspensions they wanted even though most of public opinion wasn't on the the NFLs side in either case.  

So, "caving" isn't part of Goodell's DNA.  The NFL settled because they clearly were concerned about their ability to win and what would be exposed in the process.  In Zeke and Brady, it was about them as players and punishment.  In this case, the NFL was going to have emails, texts, etc all potentially exposed and involved in this case.  And I am sure there are things they do NOT want out about inside the NFL.  They are a very private entity, and there clearly has to be some kind of physical evidence that they were afraid of getting out for them to give this fight up and pay a large settlement.  

That being said, I really do not think other players are going to try and find ways to now go after the league.  They have way more resources and determination to win than anyone.  Settling here is a clear indicator there was enough evidence working against the NFL.  And besides, most the time its not a case where the NFL is involved as a defendant, its usually about enforcing some sort of penalty, suspension, etc in a players violation of rules or misconduct.

A guy like Ray Rice would have to have evidence that the teams jointly unified to keep him from having a job.  But even then, I dont know he has a case, he violated rules.  Kapernick did NOT do anything that his contract or the CBA prevented him from doing at the time he did it.  Being held out of the league because of a difference of political opinion is different than someone getting denied because they were criminally arrested and charged with a crime.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Given his history of charitable donations and activism in social causes, I think he will use the money to speak louder than he did before. Which will continue to sow more goodwill in the various communities he supports. Which will give him even more credibility. 

Do you think he'll also invest in pig socks?

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tyrod Taylor had a low TD to int ratio as well, look at how few yards he threw for.  I saw his game versus the Bills he sucked, He went 13-29 187 and i TD, very Tyrod Taylor like.

I didnt know this was civil court, i thought this was settled out of court.  Anyway the burden of proof is actually no where near as stringent in civil court so that actually bolsters your argument but damages come into play in civil court so absolutely his career is relevant.  

How much is taylor making.  Terrible argument.  So give him what taylor is making for next 5 year and see what number you get. 

4 hours ago, H2o said:

If he takes the money and allows that money to silence him then I think we realize what it was all about in the first place. 

And if it is $60,000,000-$80,000,000 that is like 3 times the money he would have made for the rest of his career being a mediocre backup. 

If he donates a big chunk of that then it's really a win for him and the community. Also the mediocre QB thing is played out, his stats and actual gameplay don't back it up at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....yup....shocking isn't it?.....smell the race card coming......Sharpton and Jackson are prolly en route......

I mean it was specifically for notable black people. Maybe the race card makes sense in this case. 

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

There was a chance the NFL would lose based on current politics.  You notice they used the term collusion?  Where do we recognise that term from?  If you dont think that was intentional you would be mistaken.  You see lawyers consider those things when they file suit and settle a suit.  Those are the very things that lawyers discuss when trying to reach a settlement and I gaurantee Kaps Lawyers braught that up.  

Also If they absolutely did it then why would Kap settle.  

Have you ever considered that Kap was just a flash in the pan and not that good of a QB.  Do you really think if this was Mahomes he would be unsigned Lol.  

You act like collusion suits aren't a normal thing. Not to mention that Trump's comments regarding this case probably didn't help. Kap was at least above average as a QB and there are much worse starting in the league. The NFL settled in this case and Kap got what he set out for. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, stony said:

I've never understood how Vick was reinstated into the league and generally accepted back into mainstream society so easily.  

You must be missing the part of Vick thaywas worth a 100 million after his jail time- talent gets you back in league every time.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You must be missing the part of Vick thaywas worth a 100 million after his jail time- talent gets you back in league every time.

Not sure I follow you.  Vick was fun.  Never really a good QB.