BREAKING: NFL, Kap, and Reid settle Grievance Case about Collusion

Alphadawg7

34 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

If the NFL had to write him a big check, you can be sure he'll never play again.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was 'no money, but we'll get you on a roster before training camp.'

Lol! NFL can't force owners to sign anybody

11 minutes ago, 87168 said:

by whom...? not his own community, that's for sure.

If he takes the money and allows that money to silence him then I think we realize what it was all about in the first place. 

And if it is $60,000,000-$80,000,000 that is like 3 times the money he would have made for the rest of his career being a mediocre backup. 

Edited by H2o

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

He had 16 TDS to 4 INT in his last partial season.  Teams records are not for a single player to shoulder.  That 49ers team was the fastest dismantling of a very good team in NFL history.  Several guys in their prime (and the teams best players) retired or got suspended.  Several others were lost including most the talent on offense, etc. to put the record on a Kap is ridiculous, that teams had literally the worst roster in the NFL, worse than even the one we or Arizona fielded this season.

And your opinion of him of a QB is fine, but now how a settlement would be evaluated. He had a massive contract, made a SB, was in his prime, and bad QBs still make lots of money in the NFL.  He is going to get quite a large settlement and I seriously doubt it’s less than $50m to him because it’s going to be lost wages, future lost wages, and damages.   

Tyrod Taylor had a low TD to int ratio as well, look at how few yards he threw for.  I saw his game versus the Bills he sucked, He went 13-29 187 and i TD, very Tyrod Taylor like.

7 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

It doesn't work how you have it in your head. That's not how civil court works. If he can prove they collude to stop him from playing that's all he needs. His career is irrelevant in court.

You know how if a bum gets hit by a car he still gets paid? If a bum loses his arm he still get potential earnings in civil court. Also, pain and suffering. Kaepernick probably argued NFL ruined his reputation and other things I'm not smart enough to know.

I didnt know this was civil court, i thought this was settled out of court.  Anyway the burden of proof is actually no where near as stringent in civil court so that actually bolsters your argument but damages come into play in civil court so absolutely his career is relevant.  

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

If he takes the money and allows that money to silence him then I think we realize what it was all about in the first place. 

And if it is $60,000,000-$80,000,000 that is like 3 times the money he would have made for the rest of his career being a mediocre backup. 

Given his history of charitable donations and activism in social causes, I think he will use the money to speak louder than he did before. Which will continue to sow more goodwill in the various communities he supports. Which will give him even more credibility. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A little surprised as I thought this was a slam dunk case for the NFL.  It's very difficult to prove collusion so maybe there was something in Goodell's or other owners emails or text messages that suggested it which is why a gag order was put into place after the agreement.  Or, the NFL just wanted it to end.  Who knows.

Show Bills vs Ravens tape and you can prove collusion by the end of the first half

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A little surprised as I thought this was a slam dunk case for the NFL

I thought the opposite based on what his lawyer was saying about emails they'd reviewed. If they're settling now they must know they'll lose the case. I think they're more than happy to pay him and get his name out of the headlines before the league year begins.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tyrod Taylor had a low TD to int ratio as well, look at how few yards he threw for.  I saw his game versus the Bills he sucked, He went 13-29 187 and i TD, very Tyrod Taylor like.

I didnt know this was civil court, i thought this was settled out of court.  Anyway the burden of proof is actually no where near as stringent in civil court so that actually bolsters your argument but damages come into play in civil court so absolutely his career is relevant.  

They settle so they won't have get embarrassed in civil court where the details become public.

Just now, K-9 said:

Given his history of charitable donations and activism in social causes, I think he will use the money to speak louder than he did before. Which will continue to sow more goodwill in the various communities he supports. Which will give him even more credibility. 

And if that is the case then good for him and the people he helps :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yeah he is a guy who spends millions (before the protests ever started too, not just after) and dedicated time and work to a number of charities and social causes.  Yet people, including here, still want to believe he’s a monster and also judge his character based on their opinion of him as a QB and the fact he protested in a way they didn’t like.

Meanwhile a true monster in Vick never received remotely close to the kind of hate Kap gets.  One is a violent murderer for pleasure of defenseless animals and the other fights for social issues and charitable causes.

Society has some serious priority issues.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah he is a guy who spends millions (before the protests ever started too, not just after) and dedicated time and work to a number of charities and social causes.  Yet people, including here, still want to believe he’s a monster and also judge his character based on their opinion of him as a QB.  

Meanwhile a true monster in Vick never received remotely close to the kind of hate Kap gets.  One is a violent murderer for pleasure of defenseless animals and the other fights for social issues and charitable causes.

Society has some serious priority issues.

I've never understood how Vick was reinstated into the league and generally accepted back into mainstream society so easily.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Forgive me if this is something I should know, but I’m having a heck of a time understanding why this is illegal. If someone could explain this for me, I would be very grateful. 

Simple answer:  Discrimination in any workplace is illegal.  And colluding to keep him out of the league for his political beliefs is a form of discrimination.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Simple answer:  Discrimination in any workplace is illegal.  And colluding to keep him out of the league for his political beliefs is a form of discrimination.  

Are we sure that’s it? Because I sure feel I could be fired at my job if I perform political activism at it. I was thinking it was more along the lines that collusion between two businesses is illegal, irrespective of the part being negwtively impacted. In this case two (or more) independent businesses (the nfl franchises) colluded with each other to negatively impact a party (Kapernick). From my brief research on the subject over the past twenty minutes this is what I’ve gathered. However, like I said, I’m completely unsure. 

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 1

I said this in the other thread but will say here, if the decision was coming in less than a month (final decision from an arbitrator per the article), and he had the league by the balls, why settle? 

I dont think it was as clear cut as many think

Just now, stony said:

I've never understood how Vick was reinstated into the league and generally accepted back into mainstream society so easily.  

Yeah, always sickened me.  I do believe in second chances, reform, etc.  But that was a pretty extreme case of murder and torture for pleasure and entertainment.  Had it just been the dog fighting, fine I get that a little more as it’s a cultural thing from how he was raised.  But the murder and torture was just sooooo sick and something I never thought he would recover from.  

• Like (+1) 2