BREAKING: NFL, Kap, and Reid settle Grievance Case about Collusion

Alphadawg7

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820996-colin-kaepernick-eric-reid-settle-grievances-with-nfl-in-collusion-case

No details will be made available, gag order on both sides.  But obviously was some kind of financial settlement from the NFL.   Im guessing it could be in the $50M range or bigger based on what QB's make in the NFL, his last contract, how long he was out to the league and damages consideration.  Which really isnt that much money to the NFL in the first place to make this go away and not go to a trial they have a good shot at losing. 

Be interesting to see what happens rest of offseason if Kap gets any interest now.  Couple teams would make sense as either a stop gap or backup like Was, Jax, Mia, Balt, Seattle, potentially Oakland if the trade Carr and draft Murray.

Although I still think not that likely he gets much attention as it will still be seen as potential big distraction.  If he is a backup, distraction goes away quickly, no one will care much about a guy on the bench.  But as a stop gap starter, his play will be overly analyzed every week and it will be a media circus following him if he struggles while starting.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

If the NFL had to write him a big check, you can be sure he'll never play again.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was 'no money, but we'll get you on a roster before training camp.'

Not a chance in heck there's NO money involved.

• Like (+1) 6

A little surprised as I thought this was a slam dunk case for the NFL.  It's very difficult to prove collusion so maybe there was something in Goodell's or other owners emails or text messages that suggested it which is why a gag order was put into place after the agreement.  Or, the NFL just wanted it to end.  Who knows.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

If the NFL had to write him a big check, you can be sure he'll never play again.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was 'no money, but we'll get you on a roster before training camp.'

He is not interested in playing football in my opinion, he would rather just be “famous” for stirring the pot. If he played again there is a high probability his lack of talent would be exposed, making him permanently irrelevant.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A little surprised as I thought this was a slam dunk case for the NFL.  It's very difficult to prove collusion so maybe there was something in Goodell's or other owners emails or text messages that suggested it which is why a gag order was put into place after the agreement.  Or, the NFL just wanted it to end.  Who knows.

Easier and cheaper on tbe NFL to just settle it and make it all go away than to drag it into court and have it be in the news every day for 6 months.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

In today's age there is no way the CA is going to be honored very long, i put the over on 2 weeks. 

And I would put the over at $5 mil to Kap, no idea about Reid

$5M?

I bet it's closer to $25M. Or more.

He stopped playing at the prime age for a QB. He probably asked for at least 5 years worth of salary.

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This is not true. They prove collusion all the time in business. The difficult part is making it a crime punishable with jail time. Civil court is easier.

Edited by CuddyDark

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

$5M?

I bet it's closer to $25M. Or more.

He stopped playing at the prime age for a QB. He probably asked for at least 5 years worth of salary.

This is not true. They prove collusion all the time in business. The difficult part is making it a crime punishable with jail time. Civil court is easier.

He could ask for $100 million doesn't mean he is going to get it.

Yea he may have been at a prime age but his game had been slipping, he wasnt the boy wonder he was when he started. His first 2 years his QBR was over 70 with a 17-6 record, last two years in the 40s with a 3-17 record.  His game was figured out quickly enough, he would have been at best a mediocre NF backup.  He couldn't beat out Blaine Gabbert.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yea he may have been at a prime age but his game had been slipping, he wasnt the boy wonder he was when he started. His first 2 years his QBR was over 70 with a 17-6 record, last two years in the 40s with a 3-17 record.  His game was figured out quickly enough, he would have been at best a mediocre NF backup.  He couldn't beat out Blaine Gabbert.

Look at the post above this. Rumors are 60-80M. Which is about right. He was making ~15M. 15MX5yrs is between 60-80M

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I can promise that didn't happen...the NFL paid big, hence why no details are coming out.

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Then wouldn't he be considered a "sell-out"?

by whom...? not his own community, that's for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Rumors huh, ok 60-80 million if true they are dumber than I thought.  Maybe they thought it was worth it from a PR standpoint but no way as an NFL QB.  

I wouldn't put it past the owners to have a chain email entitled "We all agree to never sign Kaepernick, right?" and then all reply in the affirmative.  A lot of them seem that stupid.   

• Haha (+1) 4

Rumors huh, ok 60-80 million if true they are dumber than I thought.  Maybe they thought it was worth it from a PR standpoint but no way as an NFL QB.  

hah made it to the Superbowl 1st year as starter, but cool. let it sizzle..

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

It doesn't work how you have it in your head. That's not how civil court works. If he can prove they collude to stop him from playing that's all he needs. His career is irrelevant in court.

You know how if a bum gets hit by a car he still gets paid? If a bum loses his arm he still get potential earnings in civil court. Also, pain and suffering. Kaepernick probably argued NFL ruined his reputation and other things I'm not smart enough to know.

Edited by CuddyDark
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He had 16 TDS to 4 INT in his last partial season.  Teams records are not for a single player to shoulder.  That 49ers team was the fastest dismantling of a very good team in NFL history.  Several guys in their prime (and the teams best players) retired or got suspended.  Several others were lost including most the talent on offense, etc.  So, to put the record on a Kap is ridiculous, that team had literally the worst roster in the NFL, worse than even the one we or Arizona fielded this season.

And your opinion of him of a QB is fine, but not how a settlement would be evaluated. He had a massive contract, made a SB, was in his prime, and bad QBs still make lots of money in the NFL.  He is going to get quite a large settlement and I seriously doubt it’s less than $50m to him because it’s going to be lost wages, future lost wages, and damages.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

He had 16 TDS to 4 INT in his last partial season.  Teams records are not for a single player to shoulder.  That 49ers team was the fastest dismantling of a very good team in NFL history.  Several guys in their prime (and the teams best players) retired or got suspended.  Several others were lost including most the talent on offense, etc. to put the record on a Kap is ridiculous, that teams had literally the worst roster in the NFL, worse than even the one we or Arizona fielded this season.

And your opinion of him of a QB is fine, but now how a settlement would be evaluated. He had a massive contract, made a SB, was in his prime, and bad QBs still make lots of money in the NFL.  He is going to get quite a large settlement and I seriously doubt it’s less than $50m to him because it’s going to be lost wages, future lost wages, and damages.   

They hired the Dline coach as head coach. LMAO.

• Like (+1) 1