The "National Emergency" Thread

Tiberius

Just now, Koko78 said:

Oh, so that xenophobic bigot Trump is going from racial profiling to genetic profiling??!?!?

#IMPEACH

You joke, but that's pretty much the argument that's going to be made to the courts to block it.  Civil rights/invasion of privacy/racism in DNA profiling.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You joke, but that's pretty much the argument that's going to be made to the courts to block it.  Civil rights/invasion of privacy/racism in DNA profiling.

It's just wrong. Taking away the children's right to become a sex or factory slave just because it can be proven that the 20-year old they are traveling with is not their father is cruel.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Oh, that'll be challenged...

</snip>

Under the pending procedural change, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officers would train Border Patrol agents on the southern border how to conduct "credible fear interviews," which immigrants must pass to go on to claim asylum. Agents would conduct the interviews shortly after apprehending people who have illegally crossed from Mexico to the U.S

</snip>

DHS is not planning to get congressional approval before implementing the change. Department officials believe they are within the law because an asylum officer must be an immigration official, which Border Patrol agents are considered to be. As long as agents get training on how to carry out those interviews and make those decisions, the department believes the plan is sound, a second official, who spoke on background in order to speak freely, explained.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Under the pending procedural change, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officers would train Border Patrol agents on the southern border how to conduct "credible fear interviews," which immigrants must pass to go on to claim asylum. Agents would conduct the interviews shortly after apprehending people who have illegally crossed from Mexico to the U.S

For the record, a "credible fear interview" is an interview done by an asylum officer to determine if the petitioner has a credible fear of torture or violence against them if returned to their country.  I want to specify that, because I am certain that some halfwit somewhere is going to claim the purpose is to intimidate the petitioner into not requesting asylum.

And there's no realistic way this should be challenged: the determination of who is and is not an asylum officer is solely at the discretion of DHS.  There is nothing that says only USCIS officers can perform the function.  It's not even in the CFR.  DHS could take someone from the Countering WMD branch and make them an asylum officer if they wanted.  

Of course, it'll be challenged, on the grounds of "I'm gonna jump up and down and hold my breath until I get my way!"  But there's no realistic way it should be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Holy schitt.

They almost got there!

President Trump is right: There is a crisis at the southern border. Just not the one he rants about.

There is no pressing national security threat — no invasion of murderers, drug cartels or terrorists. No matter how often Mr. Trump delivers such warnings, they bear little resemblance to the truth.

Almost.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I think this is a lot more of “AWOL dad syndrome” than him being Mexican criminal. It’s interesting that AWOL dad syndrome (my term I just made up) usually affects boys and Alec is biologically a girl. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/05/12/pentagon-will-pull-money-ballistic-missile-surveillance-plane-programs-fund-border-wall/?utm_term=.04ac2f1b92ec

“The Pentagon will shift $1.5 billion for President Trump’s border wall from programs that include the military’s next nuclear intercontinental ballistic missile and a plane that provides surveillance and communications to fighter jets while airborne, according to a Defense Department document obtained by The Washington Post.” 

Keep those poor migrant woman out with their children to defend America!