The "National Emergency" Thread

Tiberius

Totally illegal and unconstitutional. And no, Dems heads are not exploding, the only explosions are the blood vessels popping from the strokes GOP Senators are experiencing as they have to support this garbage. 

President Trump is set to hold an event at 10:30 a.m. in the Rose Garden at the White House, where he is expected to announce he will sign spending legislation to avert a government shutdown and at the same declare a national emergency with the aim of securing about $6.5 billion more to build his long-promised border wall without congressional approval.

Many of Trump’s Republican allies have called the move ­ill-advised, and Democrats are promising immediate action aimed at blocking it. The declaration is expected to face an array of legal challenges, possibly including from congressional Democrats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-border-emergency-the-president-plans-a-10-am-announcement-in-the-rose-garden/2019/02/15/f0310e62-3110-11e9-86ab-5d02109aeb01_story.html?utm_term=.acf163219163

________

Bipartisan criticism rolling in...

Sen. Collins, a Republican, called the move a mistake.

"Declaring a national emergency for this purpose would be a mistake on the part of the President," Collins' statement read. "Such a declaration would undermine the role of Congress and the appropriations process; it's just not good policy. It also sets a bad precedent for future Presidents …"

Collins notes the National Emergencies Act's intention was to apply to major natural disasters or catastrophic events, such as the 9/11 attacks. She says the move will almost certainly be challenged in the courts.

"A far better approach would be for the President to submit a timely budget request for additional border security funding," Collins said, "and work with Congress through the normal appropriations process."

• Like (+1) 1

Chamber of Commerce chimes in on this authoritarian power grab: 

"We have long fought against attempts by the executive branch to usurp the powers of Congress and to create law, such as we have seen in recent decades with the rise of the regulatory administrative state," Donohue wrote in a statement, adding: "We have also fought against attempts by the Congress to usurp the power of the executive."

"The declaration of national emergency in this instance will create a dangerous precedent that erodes the very system of government that has served us so well for over 200 years," Donohue continued.

"The U.S. Chamber urges the president not to attempt to declare a national emergency. Instead, we urge the president and members of Congress of both parties to negotiate and find common ground on immigration and border security."

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/430184-us-chamber-says-trump-emergency-declaration-erodes-system-of

last night an 11 year girl in the Toronto area was not returned by her father in time, so a huge alert went out which set off an air-raid siren scream out of all phones and cable TVs every 15 minutes started at 11 pm

the child was found dead and the father was arrested by midnight

but they STILL kept sending out the airraid siren thing all night every 15 minutes

and then at 7am they put it on again for the TV telling me the issue "had been resolved."

great work with that alert system, sports...

Please wheel out the electric chair for this animal, that is if he actually murdered his daughter.

Trump is hurting this country.  His lying and ignorance of the issues, which so many have overlooked or claimed is harmless, is costing us and will soon be costing us all even more.  If a wall fixed all the problems as he claims, everyone would be for it but nearly everyone knows that it won't really do what he claims.  Humans are amazingly ingenious and will just attack the next weakest point.  Certainly any major drug dealer or any terrorist with a brain will not be stopped.  Halting demand from the US, just like with the drug problem, would be far more effective in deterring illegal immigration.

Got any other uses for $ billions?  Supporters often imply that this is not a great deal of money and we should basically humor him.  If we do that, then what is the next national emergency he concocts and from where does he re-appropriate that money?  Soon we will be hearing how we can't afford Social Security but we can afford foolish spending to humor the fool, right?

The only thing that can stop him are his supporters, unfortunately, and they are in so deep they no longer seem to be able to tell right from wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

Good thing i went out of my way to clean out the cat's box this morning, she has the runs....

-----------------------------------

You've chosen to ignore content by Bob in Mich.

been awhile since one of the worse d-bags on here popped up....

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

Trump cares nothing about the law, that's why he is Putin's bi tch 

Read Pelosi and Schumer’s joint statement below:

“The President’s unlawful declaration over a crisis that does not exist does great violence to our Constitution and makes America less safe, stealing from urgently needed defense funds for the security of our military and our nation.  This is plainly a power grab by a disappointed President, who has gone outside the bounds of the law to try to get what he failed to achieve in the constitutional legislative process.

“The President’s actions clearly violate the Congress’s exclusive power of the purse, which our Founders enshrined in the Constitution. The Congress will defend our constitutional authorities in the Congress, in the Courts, and in the public, using every remedy available.

“This issue transcends partisan politics and goes to the core of the Founders’ conception for America, which commands Congress to limit an overreaching executive. The President’s emergency declaration, if unchecked, would fundamentally alter the balance of powers, inconsistent with our Founders’ vision.

“We call upon our Republican colleagues to join us to defend the Constitution. Just as both parties honored our oath to protect the American people by passing the conference committee bill, the Congress on a bipartisan basis must honor the Constitution by defending our system of checks and balances.

“The President is not above the law. The Congress cannot let the President shred the Constitution.”

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Good thing i went out of my way to clean out the cat's box this morning, she has the runs....

-----------------------------------

You've chosen to ignore content by Bob in Mich.

been awhile since one of the worse d-bags on here popped up....

I got these cat boxes where they’re enclosed and you just turn me upside down and it all falls into a container. No scooping. Fantastic. 

10 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I got these cat boxes where they’re enclosed and you just turn me upside down and it all falls into a container. No scooping. Fantastic. 

i would leave it too long to check into

la gata is extremely efficient at providing feedback and protest if things aren't shipshape

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The point, you moron, is that the decision on DACA, which Trump tried to end a year ago, is still churning its way through the courts.

The transgender and Muslims bans took about two years until the injunctions were lifted.

If Trump declared a national emergency, it's going to have an injunction so fast your spin will spin. (sadly, not enough to get it out of your ass) And it will, almost without doubt, be blocked, as A) the situation is absolutely not an emergency and B) it's a gross abuse of executive power. 

In short, the "national emergency" is the fig leaf to the base to try to cover up how much he failed. When it gets blocked, Trump gets to complain about "activist judges", and use the wall again in his rallying cry. 

Hey, can someone get that phone?

Because I F***ING CALLED IT

Of course, at the time, I didn't know that it can also be reversed with a joint resolution, that MUST be voted on if it passes one house of Congress. 

The whole thing is some nice kabuki theater so Lil Donny can huff and puff about how unfair it is.

• Like (+1) 1

Townhall:

There is no emergency; and the President’s renewed threat to declare one should cause us all — regardless of political persuasion — to think long and hard about the precedent such a declaration could create, should it somehow survive certain legal challenge. Could the military be directed to construct low-income housing because a future president declares economic inequality to be an ‘emergency?’ Could the Army Corps of Engineers be directed to build solar farms because climate change is declared an ‘emergency?’ The ‘what ifs’ are countless and troubling.

Just now, Wacka said:

You described your self exactly.

Speaking a cat turds 

20 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"President Trump Adds 32nd National Emergency To 31 Already In Effect"

:w00t:

"he's out of control"....................what predictable little lemmings you guys are

after the mess Obama left it's a wonder Trump hasn't had to declare a thousand and 32 by now.

do your thing, GEOTUS!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I presume I'd do this to shake the s h i t out of you?

47 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Trump is hurting this country.  His lying and ignorance of the issues, which so many have overlooked or claimed is harmless, is costing us and will soon be costing us all even more.  If a wall fixed all the problems as he claims, everyone would be for it but nearly everyone knows that it won't really do what he claims.  Humans are amazingly ingenious and will just attack the next weakest point.  Certainly any major drug dealer or any terrorist with a brain will not be stopped.  Halting demand from the US, just like with the drug problem, would be far more effective in deterring illegal immigration.

Got any other uses for $ billions?  Supporters often imply that this is not a great deal of money and we should basically humor him.  If we do that, then what is the next national emergency he concocts and from where does he re-appropriate that money?  Soon we will be hearing how we can't afford Social Security but we can afford foolish spending to humor the fool, right?

The only thing that can stop him are his supporters, unfortunately, and they are in so deep they no longer seem to be able to tell right from wrong.

It's amazing how you can post so much without a single fact. All feelings.

• Haha (+1) 2

I do have to laugh at all of those nincompoops who seem to think that Trump is on "Next Level Thinking"

Pelosi and Schumer have his number here. It takes a Joint Resolution to undo the emergency declaration, and if it passes the House on a simple majority (Which the Democrats easily can bring to the floor and win a majority on) the Senate MUST vote on it. McConnell can't hide it like he did all of those other bills to end the shutdown. 

You've already had a bunch of Republican senators say that they are against the national emergency. You have a bunch, including McConnell, who are facing elections in 2020. There are legitimate worries that being forced on this will cause infighting in the party over an unpopular issue. And you only need four to flip.

https://www.businessinsider.com/state-of-the-union-republicans-warn-trump-against-national-emergency-boder-wall-2019-2

Sen. Lindsey Graham has said it could expose divides so deep as to start a "war within the Republican Party" if Trump goes ahead.

At least eight GOP senators have publicly stated their opposition to such a move, in which Trump would aim to circumvent Congress to obtain funding for a wall along the southwestern US border.

In short, you have Trump picking a deeply unpopular and infeasible project as his hill to die on, and he gets to drag down the rest of his party down with him.