Fairburn: Bills Director of Player Personnel Dan Morgan is considered a future GM

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Edit: I changed it to just excerpts. I checked the TOS and didn’t see anything specific to this but just in case....

Right on. I didn't mean to bust balls, I just sympathize with the plight of the dying journalism industry and want to support the awesome people at The Athletic.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Right on. I didn't mean to bust balls, I just sympathize with the plight of the dying journalism industry and want to support the awesome people at The Athletic.

Last time I felt bad because i only posted excerpts and someone said I could post it all. It doesn’t seem right to do that, i agree. I tried to post some of the more relevant Bills stuff from the article. The Athletic has some REALLY good articles. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure sounds like McBeane made some excellent hires for his staff when others come knocking........dammit.....

The downside of making the right hires is people come poaching your staff. I wish it didn’t go with the territory, but it does. I hope we can keep making good decisions because this is actually a good problem to have. 

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like this new regime has done a pretty good job finding talented scouting and personnel execs. We’ve already lost a couple to promotions. 

Also, on a similar subject, all of the people the Bills interviewed for the GM job (before hiring Beane) are now GMs: 

Gaine, Gutekunst, Veach, Beane (obviously...lol).

If McDermott put that list together, he did a good job identifying future GMs in waiting. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He has his work cut out for him - the pro personnel acquisitions under the Beane regime have been mediocre-to-terrible.  They've done much better in college scouting. The next good offensive FA they sign will be the first.

The next good offensive FA will be the first expected to be good.  

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

That being said if he is that good pay the man $$$$$ so he does not feel so "held back".

I am a bit selfish regarding this, as I would like to see more continuity in the Bills FO.

That being said, you still don't block guys from taking a promotion if your perks can't sway them towards retention.

As long as the HC and GM are continuous I'm ok with losing the director of pro personal

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

As long as the HC and GM are continuous I'm ok with losing the director of pro personal

I would not undervalue that director of pro personnel role.

When the Bills promoted John Butler from his pro personnel role to GM and then jettisoned he and his protege A J Smith and Wade too...Butler and Smith both went to the Chargers.

They built a great Chargers team while the Bills sank into a freaking tar pit of poor personnel decisions and even poorer leadership.

The good ones are worth retaining.

• 1 month later...

That's another area where Beane is far superior to anything we've had in recent memory and that is quality guys doing the evaluations.  Dan Morgan is yet another guy who will most likely end up being a future GM.  Having quality guys doing the evaluating on the team just improves the odds of obtaining good talent exponentially.

I sense that we are in really good hands and have very little worries that they will select good players to build this team around through the draft.

Beane is a good young general manager.  He came in here with a plan and so far seems to be nailing it.  He saw that we had been treading water for years and needed a rebuild. Put a great staff together and started the process.  He took the players of value that we had and got everything he could for them via trades.  He ate all the dead money in one season ( 2018 ).  He was able to go into this FA period with more than $75 million and will probably have around that amount next season.  He is signing players to smart team friendly contracts that the Bills can get out of in a season or two but options to remain longer.  It's a breath of fresh air to see a GM have a plan about roster building.  He's a smart man and I hope the Pegulas and the fan base give him a little slack when something inevitably goes wrong somewhere.  He's earning that trust with everyday that passes.  

Edited by Mark92
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Bills already lost a really good hand last year in Brain Gaine, he is no GM of the Texans and doing a great job.

It’s like the Bills have all of a sudden become a GM farm system.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/15/2019 at 9:13 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It’s not in the FO but I really like the ST coach hire. It’s different and fresh to bring in former ST stud on the field instead of the old guy who just keeps getting jobs because of experience and connections. 

ANd signing the best KR/PR in the league will make this team even better.  Our Punt Returns last year were awful

3 hours ago, Magox said:

That's another area where Beane is far superior to anything we've had in recent memory and that is quality guys doing the evaluations.  Dan Morgan is yet another guy who will most likely end up being a future GM.  Having quality guys doing the evaluating on the team just improves the odds of obtaining good talent exponentially.

I sense that we are in really good hands and have very little worries that they will select good players to build this team around through the draft.

....according to what I've read, McBeane's "Gang of 17+" staff is significantly comprised of many VP of Player Personnel &Director of Pro Player Personnel types from around the league.....I'd bet the payroll (including McBeane) is north of $5 mil., ALL out of Pegula's check book.....pretty fortunate to have owners willing to spend like that for a top notch staff....think the Bungles' staff is comprised of THREE, one of which is Brown's daughter...............

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....according to what I've read, McBeane's "Gang of 17+" staff is significantly comprised of many VP of Player Personnel &Director of Pro Player Personnel types from around the league.....I'd bet the payroll (including McBeane) is north of $5 mil., ALL out of Pegula's check book.....pretty fortunate to have owners willing to spend like that for a top notch staff....think the Bungles' staff is comprised of THREE, one of which is Brown's daughter...............

Not only have they spent on staff thus far, they're also spending big on training facilities and stadium upgrades. They seem to be sparing no expense. Beane says "This is what we need", and Beane gets it. How can you not like owners like that?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Not only have they spent on staff thus far, they're also spending big on training facilities and stadium upgrades. They seem to be sparing no expense. Beane says "This is what we need", and Beane gets it. How can you not like owners like that?

...EXACTLY.....:thumbsup:.....and why I LOATHE when I read some pointed headed minion posting about our "clueless owners".......