AAF reaches out to Tebow and Kaepernick to play, Kaepernick wanted $20 mill

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes. If he were actually interested in playing it'd have been a no brainer: show the NFL how stupid they look by owning the fringe players.

Nope.

He'd have a job if coaches had the slightest inkling that he cared half as much about football as he does social issues.

Dozens of others knelt and still have jobs. Some, like Sheldon Richardson, got fat contracts afterward.

QB is the most demanding position in pro sports. Coaches want QBs that are 100% football to a fault...or, failing that, make up for it with extraordinarily high level of play (a la Big Ben). Kaep brings neither of those traits...hence no NFL job. And if he wanted to prove people wrong about that, he'd take a job playing QB when offered.

That's BS- teams are afraid to sign him because of the bad PR they might get.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

I was at the game a couple of years ago when KAP was Qb for the 49's against the Bills.  (yes, he was booed when he took the knee)   He was stricktly below avg that day, no great arm, no great runner.    I could see him not getting another shot in the NFL based on what I saw that day.  All the P/R stuff is pop culture bs......I am a football fan only.

Guess you stopped watching the Bill's after that. In one game against the Bill's your expert opinion was able to determine he wouldnt get another shot in the league, yet Nate Peterman had multiple starts for the Bill's then went on to work out for a few teams and get signed by the Raiders. Kaep must have really been bad as a former 1st overall pick not getting another chance in this league. Theres plenty of examples of much worse QBs getting multiple second chances in the league. Not buying the "he just isnt good enough anymore" excuse

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Sure...that's why Eric Reid has a job too. Same with Malcolm Jenkins.

It wasn't easy for Reid, he took a huge paycut and was on  a 1 year deal until recently. Also, and this should be obvious, Kaep is the face of the protest and he gets the most reaction. Also being a QB , he'd be more in the limelight naturally. There's a huge difference between the other players and Kaep , anyone paying attention would realize that.

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Conversely, if he comes out and sucks or only plays decent against scrubs, he proves the owners point that his playing ability doesn't justify his excessive salary demands and the distractions that the media will bring to the team.

He's already been given opportunities to return to the league... until his girlfriend started her racist crap on social media and pissed the Ravens off.

if only he kicked his GF on video , he's probably be signed by now.

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

If Kaepernick really said he'd want $20 million, I look at it like this ....

Say you're having a garage sale.  A rusted out 1997 Dodge Caravan pulls up and a guy wearing a pair of dirty Dickies and stained wifebeater walks through your driveway.

But in the garage, he notices a 2017 Harley Davidson Fat Bob and says, "How much for the Harley?"

Knowing you have no intention of selling it, you say, "$20 million and it's yours."

If - big if - Kaep said that, I'm certain it was taken out of context.

But (gasp) he knelt.  So he's a piece of garbage, right?

That guy is smarter than nearly every person who posts on this site on a regular basis.  I liked him before the kneeling. I liked him during the kneeling.  And I still like him.

I agree with your analogy - Kaep selling his wares to football teams is exactly like a garage sale.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know but could Ben report what he was told as well so we know what happened?

that would be helpful, but your post was based on a 'source' and nothing else. The co-founder of the league doesn't know why Kaep didn't agree to play, you'd think he would know if he asked for $20mm.

2 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Kaepernick averaged ~$7M/yr over his NFL career.  AAF pays $250K/yr.  

Imagine you were making $100K/yr for dangerous work with a good company, then lost your job.  

Some other rinky dink company offers you the same dangerous position, but for just $3,500/yr.  

If you don't take the job, that clearly means you're just not interested in working at all.

if $3500 is the best salary available due to market conditions(that you caused by the way) then yes he is not interested in working in that field, AT ALL.

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

that would be helpful, but your post was based on a 'source' and nothing else. The co-founder of the league doesn't know why Kaep didn't agree to play, you'd think he would know if he asked for $20mm.

I didn’t report it... ESPN, NFL.com, PFT, etc all reported it last night. I linked to the ESPN site but it was everywhere. The AP source could be lying, so could Ben Allbright. But there are multiple outlets reporting one thing and Ben saying he heard differently but not saying what he heard. Polian said he didn’t know why he’s not playing. the AP source said he wants 20 mill. That’s what is reported at this time. Would love to add more reports if Ben would share his, but he only said he’s not saying it’s wrong but he heard otherwise. So my question is... what did he hear? Pretty simple. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, MJS said:

$20 million is hilarious. And people think he is being black balled? He's keeping himself out of the league if that's his asking price. I've suspected all along that he refused to be a backup and take a backup's sallary.

Ok, let’s calm down a bit on connecting dots that likely aren’t there.  

Kapernick has NOT declined a job in the NFL.  The article says he hopes to play again in the NFL.  Just because someone doesn’t want to play for the AAF unless heavily incentivized does not mean he has some min salary requirement to take an NFL job.

And there is no evidence at all that he really declined AAF unless paid $20m, just a random report where we see random reports every day in all sports that have little substance to them.  

But, Kap is gonna continue to unfairly get villafied because people want to find more reasons to never like him.  

Kap is getting black balled, it’s not even up for debate.  He is better than at least 2/3rds the QBs on NFL rosters right now, but can’t even get a workout and it has nothing to do with salary requirements.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Lol, okay Kaepernick.

I don't think he has any desire to get back into the NFL.

If he still loves football, he could coach, I guess, or else get paid the normal salary to be in the AAF. 

Maybe he's waiting for the XFL.

He's not waiting for the XFL.  McMahon and Trump are buddies.  They're going to have a mandatory stand for the anthem rule.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

It wasn't easy for Reid, he took a huge paycut and was on  a 1 year deal until recently. Also, and this should be obvious, Kaep is the face of the protest and he gets the most reaction. Also being a QB , he'd be more in the limelight naturally. There's a huge difference between the other players and Kaep , anyone paying attention would realize that.

Huh, so what you're saying is that Reid took the first opportunity that came to him in order to get back on the field?  Sort of like I said Kaep should do in my very first post in this thread? Weird.  Also, Reid and Malcolm Jenkins made themselves just as front-and-center as Kaep when it came to protesting.

And yes, there is one HUGE difference between Kaep and the other players: he's a QB...and as I already said...

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

QB is the most demanding position in pro sports. Coaches want QBs that are 100% football to a fault...or, failing that, make up for it with extraordinarily high level of play (a la Big Ben). Kaep brings neither of those traits...hence no NFL job. And if he wanted to prove people wrong about that, he'd take a job playing QB when offered.

Bottom line is that Kaep doesn't want to be in the NFL at all costs; he wants to be in the NFL on his own terms.  Fine, that's his prerogative. It also has consequences.

But don't take my word on his dedication to football, just read this:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-joe-flacco-colin-kaepernick-20170727-story.html

“It depends on Colin first of all — what he wants to do, what’s his passion, what’s his priority, what kind of shape is he in, is he ready to go, then our needs. We’ll just kind of see where it goes,” Harbaugh said. “I don’t think it’s different for us than any other team. We’re definitely going to get another arm in here, but he’s not an arm obviously. He’s an accomplished football player. You always like having good football players.”

That was the criteria for the Ravens, and they didn't sign him. You do the math.

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Huh, so what you're saying is that Reid took the first opportunity that came to him in order to get back on the field?  Sort of like I said Kaep should do in my very first post in this thread? Weird.  Also, Reid and Malcolm Jenkins made themselves just as front-and-center as Kaep when it came to protesting.

And yes, there is one HUGE difference between Kaep and the other players: he's a QB...and as I already said...

Bottom line is that Kaep doesn't want to be in the NFL at all costs; he wants to be in the NFL on his own terms.  Fine, that's his prerogative. It also has consequences.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-joe-flacco-colin-kaepernick-20170727-story.html

“It depends on Colin first of all — what he wants to do, what’s his passion, what’s his priority, what kind of shape is he in, is he ready to go, then our needs. We’ll just kind of see where it goes,” Harbaugh said. “I don’t think it’s different for us than any other team. We’re definitely going to get another arm in here, but he’s not an arm obviously. He’s an accomplished football player. You always like having good football players.”

That was the criteria for the Ravens, and they didn't sign him. You do the math.

That's not entirely true.  It was pretty widely reported the team reached out to sponsors, ticket holders, community leaders, ex-players etc to gauge any potential fallout of his signing w the team.  ESPN even reported Harbaugh and Ozzie supported signing him, but Biscotti was personally resisting the move.  

I'm not dismissing the on-the-field concerns you've pointed out, they're legit.  Just pointing out the criteria of the Ravens expanded far beyond the playing field.  

34 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The NFL field, not AAF. there's a bit of a difference.  Maybe you recognize Reid and Jenkins as being front and center like Kaep, but i'd bet the ranch that many of the haters of Kaep, who are just casual fans have no idea about the other 2. I could walk up to random people for name recognition, most will know Kaep, most won't know the other 2.

• Like (+1) 1