Most Heartbreaking Losses of Players

Takeo Spikes. Not from the trade. From the injury. He was everything you wanted in a linebacker, and he really loved the move to Buffalo.

When he tore his Achilles, I don't recall it being a very obvious injury. But he knew what happened right away, and I remember him slamming his helmet while he sat on the field. You could tell he was more hurt by not being able to play than he was by the actual injury.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Will Wolford, Plan B, 1993

Kent Hull...1996 Then death, 2011.

Nothing like a good OLine!

Boy... Allen could use those Guys!

And they had Ballard and Richter.....that may have been one of the greatest o lines in the history of the league.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Lenny Dykstra

Doc Gooden

really the whole dismantling of the late '80s Mets

Good call. It all started with Kevin Mitchell, the "bad influence" on Dwight and Darryl.

For my teams it's:

Mets: Tom Seaver

Bills: O.J.

Islanders: John Tavares (because it broke my kids heart)

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Good call. It all started with Kevin Mitchell, the "bad influence" on Dwight and Darryl.

Yup.  That one just got worse and worse as he became a star in SF.   Meanwhile the Mets ended up with soulless guys like Kevin McReynolds and Juan Samuel.  :death:

Losing Bruce, Thurman, and Andre in the same offseason ('00) was sad because it signaled the end of an era.  

Letting Flutie walk the following year was also tough for me.  I knew it was coming, but his lights out performance in that meaningless last game, a rout vs Seattle, gave me false hope that maybe we wouldn't be stuck with Rob Johnson starting for a full season.  Instead, the football gods would use Patriots' CB Terrell Buckley to do their bidding, resulting in a broken collarbone for Rob on a blustery November day in Foxboro. 

As Rob Johnson was helped off the field, Patriots' fans chanted for Flutie.  If we're being honest, it was a pretty good burn.

5 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Stevie Johnson......always loved that dude, and this is coming from a due who doesn't usually love dudes. 

He might have been the first guy to really make me change my mind on people with lots of tattoos and piercings. I used to think they were a bit out there and scary.  Stevie though seemed like a fun, likeable, and good guy 

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Will Wolford, Plan B, 1993

Kent Hull...1996 Then death, 2011.

Nothing like a good OLine!

Boy... Allen could use those Guys!

Wolford was first year of true free agency, not plan B. But you mentioning him is making Ralph roll over in his grave, as he still thinks either the Bills should have received compensation, or the deal should have been nullified. If memory serves (and it almost always does) part of his contract guaranteed that he would be paid more than any defensive player as well as be at least the second highest paid player on offense (or maybe second highest non-quarterback.) The Bills had a star studded defense that included Bruce and  Biscuit. While they were able to meet match the dollar value of the contract and would have been able to use the right of first refusal under the transition tag, they could not (or at least did not want to) match contracts of players covered by the escalator clause, which included Smith, Bennett, Thomas, and Reed.  Anyways, once the deal was approved, the NFL being a copy cat league and all, other GM's tried using similar escalator clauses in contracts. These types of escalator clauses were quickly banned, but Wolford's was allowed.

Edited by Steve O
grammatical error
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wnyguy said:

When the Sabres traded Danny Gare, Jim Schoenfeld , and Bob Suave, I was pretty upset at the time.

Did you celebrate when Gare stopped a shot already heading into the empty net just to shoot it in himself to get his 50th and celebrate on the ice?

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Did you celebrate when Gare stopped a shot already heading into the empty net just to shoot it in himself to get his 50th and celebrate on the ice?

No but I do remember him standing up to Dave Schultz in the playoffs. Also he played forever with Luce and Ramsay, so to get 50 goals on that line is pretty remarkable.

19 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  That one just got worse and worse as he became a star in SF.   Meanwhile the Mets ended up with soulless guys like Kevin McReynolds and Juan Samuel.  :death:

I wish the organization and Carter split on better terms...Carter had to much fight in him to retire...and then he left us permanently.His death stung a bit...

22 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Lenny Dykstra

Doc Gooden

really the whole dismantling of the late '80s Mets

Seeing Doc in a Bronx uniform for the first time was rough.

• Like (+1) 1