Draft Implications for Bills based on Flacco to Broncos

RPbillsfan

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That comment was from two years ago, not last season. The situation has changed, to say the least, given what transpired last season. He performed poorly, was benched, was outperformed by his successor, and will be 30 in August. Assuming he's not a stupid person - and he's not - he's likely envisioning a future in which gets paid as an NFL backup for another 5-6-7 years. That's good money and a good job to have. He's never been anything but cautious and a team player (going back the Baltimore, where he was universally liked) despite what some of the more unreasonable people on this board seem to believe. 

That comment was proof positive that he's delusional.  Delusional people act under their delusions.

Maybe you're right and Taylor's woken up.  We'll find out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Taylor is a better QB than RG III and -- more importantly -- a much better runner at this point given the leg injuries to the latter. He's a better fit for that offense.

Minus the fact RGIII already knows the offense and team. He did something right last year with their coaches to stick around. 

I still think Washington will draft a QB to be a long term solution to their problem.  They may bring in a lower cost FA to get through 2019 but I don't think they see any of the guys that are available as their long term answer.  They still owe A. Smith a hefty sum and will be hard pressed to pay a FA big money for 2019.  I hope Washington becomes sold on one of the top guys QB's in the draft and gets nervous about someone jumping in ahead of them.  Nine may turn out to be the sweet spot.

The only thing I've grown to expect is the unexpected when it comes to Beane in the draft.  Since we don't need a QB, the Bills can go a number of different ways and still end up with a great draft.  Free agency moves will give us an indication of draft direction.  

• Like (+1) 1

I dont think trading for Flacco takes QB in the 1st round off the table for the Broncos.

They traded a 4th rounder for Flacco, he's 34 years old, he hasn't been a good QB in a while and most importantly his remaining 3 years have no dead cap of and when hes cut.  I view him as a stopgap that they like a little bit more than their current stopgap in Case Keenum. I also view the move as a slight smokescreen to get teams to believe "well the Broncos aren't taking a QB in the 1st."

I happen to believe they will.

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I caught flak on here last year for insisting that Denver wasn't going QB in the first. I turned out to be right. 

This year, I predict that they will. John Elway has to double down and get a QB or else he will be gone. This is his last off season to get it right and If Lock is there at 10 he will be going to Denver. Just my thought on the matter.

I would have to think after the underwhelming QB skills on display at the Senior Bowl this year, that Elway has to be kicking himself. 

We can argue all day about the different QBs taken last year, but regardless I believe it was a very, very good year to take a top-end QB. It may even go down as a great year if some of these guys develop like I think they will.

54 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I doubt they think that their future is Flacco. They may wait a year to draft a QB though. The Flacco trade is hard to understand. At this point he is barely better than Keenum imo.

Is he though? Vegas disagrees. Denver's Super Bowl odds dropped from 100/1 to 125/1 after acquiring Flacco.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-flacco-trade-actually-made-the-broncos-super-bowl-odds-worse-for-2019/

11 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Is he though? Vegas disagrees. Denver's Super Bowl odds dropped from 100/1 to 125/1 after acquiring Flacco.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-flacco-trade-actually-made-the-broncos-super-bowl-odds-worse-for-2019/

I don't really think he is either. I should have qualified that with 'if at all'. Seems like a pointless waste of a 4th rnd pick to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I was really clinging to that "trade back a spot with Denver for a pick....then trade again down into the teams for another 2nd rounder" dream

Teams may still want to get ahead of Denver though, so a trade back for another 2nd is still a possibility. Washington seems like a perfect match.

Flacco is a placeholder until they find their new guy and get him up to speed. I was surprised he just turned 34, but I think he’s almost done. He hasn’t been good since he got the big payday after the Super Bowl, as I recall it. (But I do love a guy who bets on himself and wins!) I won’t rule out anything, including an early QB by the Broncos. 

21 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

As the first domino in the QB market fell yesterday what is the implications to the Bills and potential trade down options.

QB Possible destinations:

NY Giants - have Eli, Haskins is best QB in this draft but Murray is very tempting.

Jacksonville - Cap issues need to be cleared to allow Nick Foles to be brought on

Dolphins - Tannehill to be cut, Bridgewater probable pick-up in "two win for Tua" season

Bengals - Tannehill reunited with new HC, Dalton trade bait

Redskins - Smith out for the year maybe Dalton

Tyrod to Ravens to be Back-up for Jackson

Looks as though there is no trade down for teams looking for a QB

Haskins and Murray go in 1st round, Lock slips to late 1st, maybe Chargers or Patriots

Bills stay at 9 and select BPA at position of highest need after free agency 

Foles to the jag's makes a lot of sense... but hes under contract and will have to negotiate some kind of sign-trade type of deal.  Tannehill really is a wildcard - but i don't see Cincy.  Just isn't an upgrade.  Backup to Darnold under Gase?  Seems to make some sense.