Draft Implications for Bills based on Flacco to Broncos

RPbillsfan

As the first domino in the QB market fell yesterday what is the implications to the Bills and potential trade down options.

QB Possible destinations:

NY Giants - have Eli, Haskins is best QB in this draft but Murray is very tempting.

Jacksonville - Cap issues need to be cleared to allow Nick Foles to be brought on

Dolphins - Tannehill to be cut, Bridgewater probable pick-up in "two win for Tua" season

Bengals - Tannehill reunited with new HC, Dalton trade bait

Redskins - Smith out for the year maybe Dalton

Tyrod to Ravens to be Back-up for Jackson

Looks as though there is no trade down for teams looking for a QB

Haskins and Murray go in 1st round, Lock slips to late 1st, maybe Chargers or Patriots

Bills stay at 9 and select BPA at position of highest need after free agency 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why would Cincy want Tannehill over Dalton?? Thats a downgrade.

3 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Signing an injury prone QB in his mid 30s changes nothing. Denver are as likely to draft a QB at now as they were 72 hours ago.

There are no implications at all to Buffalo.

Not to mention one that isn't and never has been very good during the regular season.

Edited by matter2003

8 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Connection between new Bengal HC and Tannehill

So what? Doesn't mean he wants Tannehill. If you drove a Chevy Cobalt for 10 years but had a chance to updlgrade it for free wouldn't you do it?

These "connections" get way overbloen in the NFL...if he was a good to very good to elite player and an upgrade its one thing...if he is some "meh" player that is a downgrade that's another...

Unless Tannehill doesn't find a starting job and ends up there as a backup... I mean he would be an elite backup but as a long term starter "meh"

Edited by matter2003

I don’t see why Tyrod would be in Baltimore. They seemed to really like RGIII.. I would actually expect tyrod more to the jags. Even if they land Foles, Taylor is exactly what they have been looking for. Someone who can make a play every so often, but will not turn the ball over. I would also think Tannehill to the redskins or even giants. 

Dalton probably stays put, although I wouldn’t be surprised for Cincy to be a surprise team to nab one of the top quarterbacks in the draft 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see why Tyrod would be in Baltimore. They seemed to really like RGIII.. I would actually expect tyrod more to the jags. Even if they land Foles, Taylor is exactly what they have been looking for. Someone who can make a play every so often, but will not turn the ball over. I would also think Tannehill to the redskins or even giants. 

Dalton probably stays put, although I wouldn’t be surprised for Cincy to be a surprise team to nab one of the top quarterbacks in the draft 

. . . and I think Marrone would really love TT's ball-security skills!

42 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Taylor is a better QB than RG III and -- more importantly -- a much better runner at this point given the leg injuries to the latter. He's a better fit for that offense.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't think Denver is going QB in Round 1. Didn't before and don't now. 

Still say it is only 2 QBs in round 1 - Haskins and Murray. Lock and Jones will go round 2.

You have to wonder what the Broncos would do if Bowlen was still involved.  I imagine Elway still has a very long leash.

If I owned the Broncos, I'd mandate QB or get out.  It's been 5 years since Peyton Manning retired and they have nothing at the most important position in football.  

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Taylor is a better QB than RG III and -- more importantly -- a much better runner at this point given the leg injuries to the latter. He's a better fit for that offense.

Tyrod probably wants to start, though. 

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

You have to wonder what the Broncos would do if Bowlen was still involved.  I imagine Elway still has a very long leash.

If I owned the Broncos, I'd mandate QB or get out.  It's been 5 years since Peyton Manning retired and they have nothing at the most important position in football.  

Tyrod probably wants to start, though. 

My guess is he now knows that that ship has sailed. 

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

As the first domino in the QB market fell yesterday what is the implications to the Bills and potential trade down options.

QB Possible destinations:

NY Giants - have Eli, Haskins is best QB in this draft but Murray is very tempting.

Jacksonville - Cap issues need to be cleared to allow Nick Foles to be brought on

Dolphins - Tannehill to be cut, Bridgewater probable pick-up in "two win for Tua" season

Bengals - Tannehill reunited with new HC, Dalton trade bait

Redskins - Smith out for the year maybe Dalton

Tyrod to Ravens to be Back-up for Jackson

Looks as though there is no trade down for teams looking for a QB

Haskins and Murray go in 1st round, Lock slips to late 1st, maybe Chargers or Patriots

Bills stay at 9 and select BPA at position of highest need after free agency 

No Bills take BPA at whatever position that is.  I also dont think Joe Flacco keeps them from drafting a QB.

None of these QBs outside of Bridgewater keep me from drafting a QB.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't think that's true. What's your evidence for that claim?

"“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor said. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect."

My man thought the criticism about having 6 TD's through 5 games was because he was black.

• Like (+1) 1

I caught flak on here last year for insisting that Denver wasn't going QB in the first. I turned out to be right. 

This year, I predict that they will. John Elway has to double down and get a QB or else he will be gone. This is his last off season to get it right and If Lock is there at 10 he will be going to Denver. Just my thought on the matter.

22 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

"“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor said. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect."

My man thought the criticism about having 6 TD's through 5 games was because he was black.

That comment was from two years ago, not last season. The situation has changed, to say the least, given what transpired last season. He performed poorly, was benched, was outperformed by his successor, and will be 30 in August. Assuming he's not a stupid person - and he's not - he's likely envisioning a future in which gets paid as an NFL backup for another 5-6-7 years. That's good money and a good job to have. He's never been anything but cautious and a team player (going back the Baltimore, where he was universally liked) despite what some of the more unreasonable people on this board seem to believe. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2