Bean at his Witchery, Again!

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

From Beane and McDermotts perspective their choice to rebuild the roster and shed talent for "process" made a ton of sense.

It took pressure off them to win now and gave them time. Never liked how they went about it but they can right the ship this offseason with some strong moves. 

I'm sure there will be more spinning if the offseason doesn't go as planned. 

As planned for the front office or the fans?  A lot of people here seem to think that getting Paradis is a slam dunk when in fact it is anything but.  I would be OK  with  setting a firm limit on an offer for Paradis.  I don't think that he is a generational talent worth paying 15M+ per year if that is where the bidding goes.  People here like talking in vague statements so they can not be held to anything if a plan does not work out.  So tell us what you think needs to be done complete with salary figures so we can talk again this time next year.  I'll put my cards on the table and say Paradis is not worth over 15M dollars per year unless the guaranteed money was less than 45M total.  I want to be protected 3 years down the road in case Paradis burns out.

23 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

As planned for the front office or the fans?  A lot of people here seem to think that getting Paradis is a slam dunk when in fact it is anything but.  I would be OK  with  setting a firm limit on an offer for Paradis.  I don't think that he is a generational talent worth paying 15M+ per year if that is where the bidding goes.  People here like talking in vague statements so they can not be held to anything if a plan does not work out.  So tell us what you think needs to be done complete with salary figures so we can talk again this time next year.  I'll put my cards on the table and say Paradis is not worth over 15M dollars per year unless the guaranteed money was less than 45M total.  I want to be protected 3 years down the road in case Paradis burns out.

I think there are other guys as well....Morse for instance

5 hours ago, cage said:

I'm a bit confused,...I don't recall Beane getting a lot of heat / slack when that trade was announced.  I think most people thought he got a great return.

Yes. I recall the same. It was a terrific move and was universally lauded. I liked Tyrod the human being, but he clearly couldn't hack it as a starting quarterback. To get a third round pick was a major steal. I believe in the Bean man, but I don't remember anything but praise for the deal. Could be wrong.

If he is a witch he needs to start performing ceremonies with Allen pregame and give him some drops.

8 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Yes. I recall the same. It was a terrific move and was universally lauded. I liked Tyrod the human being, but he clearly couldn't hack it as a starting quarterback. To get a third round pick was a major steal. I believe in the Bean man, but I don't remember anything but praise for the deal. Could be wrong.

A few Media tried to act like the Bills were racist and TT would be an All-Pro if Buffalo wasnt racist.

17 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Yeah but what did we even do with the pick that we got for Tyrod?

Didn't we just throw it away anyway? 

Traded that pick and #22 to Ravens to draft Edmunds at 16.  The Bills also got a pick back from Ravens.  I believe it was a 5th Rd pick Sian Neal

I don’t know why so many people want to pile on Beane when he may have advised the year before, but only really was in charge of one free agency and draft.  Some people want to point to every failure, but that counters with decent trade values, and picking up Foster and McKenzie late.

It’s a work in progress so in two years we can make a good assessment of both people.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know why so many people want to pile on Beane when he may have advised the year before, but only really was in charge of one free agency and draft.  Some people want to point to every failure, but that counters with decent trade values, and picking up Foster and McKenzie late.

It’s a work in progress so in two years we can make a good assessment of both people.

It's a way to make people feel better about their own miserable lives.

Scott, it does when you have only one year under you’re belt as taken after the draft, purged 54 mil in dead cap weight, and now are in a position to pick up agents and a solid draft.  Then next year we see what he does talent wise then and how well he retains good talent by using $ wisely.

Then we can make a solid determination on Beane.  A lot of people were raving about Whaley prematurely, and then everyone piled on him.  Working in Mgmt in a high end industry takes time sometimes to assess talent, work people out and in so you have a winning team.

Im not saying he’s made some mistakes, but so did Polian, Brandt, and Wolf.  This is by their own admission.  Polian who is often spoken fondly on this board said he was happy if he could hit on 60% of his drafts.  That’s on NFLR, if you don’t believe me, or ask him yourself next Tuesday night on late hits.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

From Beane and McDermotts perspective their choice to rebuild the roster and shed talent for "process" made a ton of sense.

It took pressure off them to win now and gave them time. Never liked how they went about it but they can right the ship this offseason with some strong moves. 

I'm sure there will be more spinning if the offseason doesn't go as planned. 

I’m actually planning on it

Getting a 3rd for Tyrod was certainly a great, great move. Also getting a 5th for McCarron (who couldn't beat out Peterman) was great.

But part of the reason Flacco was only worth a 4th was his contract, I believe.

22 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Scott, it does when you have only one year under you’re belt as taken after the draft, purged 54 mil in dead cap weight, and now are in a position to pick up agents and a solid draft.  Then next year we see what he does talent wise then and how well he retains good talent by using $ wisely.

Then we can make a solid determination on Beane.  A lot of people were raving about Whaley prematurely, and then everyone piled on him.  Working in Mgmt in a high end industry takes time sometimes to assess talent, work people out and in so you have a winning team.

Im not saying he’s made some mistakes, but so did Polian, Brandt, and Wolf.  This is by their own admission.  Polian who is often spoken fondly on this board said he was happy if he could hit on 60% of his drafts.  That’s on NFLR, if you don’t believe me, or ask him yourself next Tuesday night on late hits.

a spot on and damn good assessment bud......McBeane assembled his "Gang of 17+" staff made up of several former VP's of Player Personnel and Pro Player Personnel Directors.....probably a total payroll of $5+ mil all on Pegula.....they will have 18+ months together come draft & FA....with 10 picks and FA $$$$, 2019 is shaping up to be one of THE most pivotal years in the last decade+ or perhaps even back to the Polian era......sure it will take time to develop new personnel be it draft picks and/or FA's before a reasonable critical assessment can happen...BUT....6-10 at the end of 2019 will raise some genuine concerns IMO....stay tuned.............

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If he is a witch he needs to start performing ceremonies with Allen pregame and give him some drops.

A few Media tried to act like the Bills were racist and TT would be an All-Pro if Buffalo wasnt racist.

Oh, I tend to tune out when I hear such nonsense. The Bills made a shrewd move and I thought by and large it was agreed that it was a wonderful move. Don't remember any of that personally, but I trust your account. I'm excited for the off season because I think the boys upstairs realize this is their time to shine.

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Except Beane's not graded on how well he does on individual trades, even though everyone wants to declare victory immediately on moves these days.

Beane is graded on building a roster, and through 2 off-seasons he and McCoach have a far from finished product ready to compete and win championships.

You can take your individual trade victories, but over the long haul it doesn't matter. 

Well, since this is only his second off-season, yeah, individual trades DO MATTER since you have to make it to the “long haul” somehow.

Through two off-seasons? No. He hasn’t been through two off-seasons.

You post is full of misinformation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm in agreement with the crowd that's still on the fence about Beane, and I don't think that's portraying him in a negative light. It's actually neither praising him or bashing him for the rebuild.

I don't think tearing it down is that tough a job, it's how you rebuild back up and we're going to see a very important part of that this offseason after we saw the biggest single part of it last year with Allen. Whether or not Allen becomes a real franchise QB and what pieces Beane puts around him will determine what kind of job he's done here. 

The one thing that drives me crazy is all the nonsense about "breaking the drought". It was a fun moment but to me that really didn't change anything. It was a mediocre team at best that made it at 9-7 and lost in the first round. From the perspective of evaluating a GM, to me that pretty much means nothing. If he fails at putting the right pieces around Allen, I don't see how a 9-7 one and done run to the playoffs 2 years prior changes any part of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Oh, I tend to tune out when I hear such nonsense. The Bills made a shrewd move and I thought by and large it was agreed that it was a wonderful move. Don't remember any of that personally, but I trust your account. I'm excited for the off season because I think the boys upstairs realize this is their time to shine.

I truely believe next offseason they will be putting the finishing touches on a championship contender.  Our picks will start moving to the end of the round but I have faith that this team will do well picking later.

33 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Well, since this is only his second off-season, yeah, individual trades DO MATTER since you have to make it to the “long haul” somehow.

Through two off-seasons? No. He hasn’t been through two off-seasons.

You post is full of misinformation.

When were Darby and Watkins traded? Which off-season was that?  

But, for arguments' sake, let's look at where the Bills went from year 1 of Beane to year 2.  They deliberately took a step back to clean up their cap and went from 9 wins to 6.  

You realize that right now their offense is among the league's worst? Their top 2 RBs hit 31 in a few months. They have no more than 3 proven OL on the roster. Their TEs consist of a journeyman and former UDFA with 22 career catches.  The WRs? A UDFA with 6 good NFL games and a WR who struggles to separate and make catches.  

I'd "fact-check" your posts first.