Bean at his Witchery, Again!

30 minutes ago, boater said:

OMG, they are cheap. He only gets a Taurus? I'd given him a few weeks with the Beretta 92FS...it really is worth the higher cost.

Boater-- Beane had to pay for his own gas, they didn't evem give him the Noco card ....Cheap, Cheap, Cheap...

I can remember Mr. Wilson saying it cost him one of his Monet's to sign a pending unrestricted free agent (Can't remember which one).   Terry and Kim appear to be very generous and do everything with class.  I loved Mr. Wilson's loyalty to Buffalo, but I love Terry and Kim's loyalty, vision and willingness to invest even more.

10 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Boater-- Beane had to pay for his own gas, they didn't evem give him the Noco card ....Cheap, Cheap, Cheap...

I can remember Mr. Wilson saying it cost him one of his Monet's to sign a pending unrestricted free agent (Can't remember which one).   Terry and Kim appear to be very generous and do everything with class.  I loved Mr. Wilson's loyalty to Buffalo, but I love Terry and Kim's loyalty, vision and willingness to invest even more. 

I hear ya. My post was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

Ralph wasn't cheap in his final years. Terry and Kim aren't cheap at all.

Hearing that Tyrod was traded was magic to my ears before knowing what the compensation was. I was ecstatic he was off our team and I would never have to see him take a snap under center in a Bills uniform again. 

Later, when I heard it was the top pick in the 3rd round I was basically in disbelief how we absolutely robbed the Browns. I basically creamed myself on 3/9/18

Great job Beane!

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As was Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes.

Snap!

And signing Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown for like $3M combined and having one turn into a DPOY candidate who lead the NFL in sacks for most of the season and the other finish with the most tackles in the NFL, respectively.

As I predicted though.........he ***** up the McCoy trade by giving him that extension.

Would have been nice to have been able to part ways after the Eagles deal ran out in 2017 rather than witness that pathetic 3.3 npc performance in the first year of the "Bills extension" that also guaranteed $26.5M of salary(all his Eagles guarantees were gone).

Been decidedly less "why can't Shady play til 40" and "Shady belongs on the Wall" posts lately.   Got quiet actually. #BADOLWASRIGHT:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane has done a pretty good job so far.  He built up draft picks and got two big pieces in Allen and Edmunds.  Also selected Horrible Harry and Taron Johnson.  Plus picked up Levi Wallace and Robert Foster as UDFAs.

His first free agency was meh.  Trent Murphy and Star Lotulelei.  I'm hoping that the dead cap money was the main issue.  We'll see what happens this free agency.

My biggest gripe about Beane (perhaps McDermott and others) so far was the handling of qb situation last training camp.  McCarron with 4 NFL starts and Peterman with 2.  Should have had a more experienced vet in front of Allen imo.  If their plan truly was to sit Allen last season, it was poorly executed.   

Wr and Oline were bad last year no doubt.  McBeane inherited a poor roster and there's only so much you can do per season.  No excuse now with $80 M and 10 picks.  See what happens.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They didnt inherit a poor roster.

For some reason this needs to be repeated over and over.

Yea - while the teardown was certainly one way of going about it - and if you have an ownership who really are all in on your regime (and to be fair to the Pegulas they have stayed out of Beane and McDermott's way much more than they did with Marrone, Whaley and Rex which suggests their trust in these two is real and not a whim) it is probably even the way I would go about it, but it wasn't the only way of going about it. They inherited a team that over the 3 previous years was exactly .500 and while it certainly had some less than stellar contracts - Dareus and Clay stand out - the "salary cap mess" narrative is overblown. They were not right against the cap or in a position where they were having to cut a slew of starters. That is a team in a real cap mess.

They could have started from the foundations of the Whaley roster and taken a shot on a QB and still built from there (indeed that first draft which I know Beane wasn't yet here for two pretty good QBs fell into their lap). I'm not saying this the way I'd have gone about it. But it was a choice. Often here it is presented like the teardown was necessity. It wasn't it was a choice. A choice I on balance agree with.... but a choice all the same.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Great!

Hopefully the witchery includes winning football games.

I guess the Corey Coleman deal was a little salary relief give-back to Dorsey for helping the ol' Beaner out on Tyrod.?

I understand his game is to sell the bill of goods to the fanbase and buy time.......but I don't know if we've had a GM cry wolf about salary cap woes since Donahoe.

It would be insulting if you didn't see exactly how many people on TSW buy the "we can't access that $80M in space until next year" nonsense.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess the Corey Coleman deal was a little salary relief give-back to Dorsey for helping the ol' Beaner out on Tyrod.?

I understand his game is to sell the bill of goods to the fanbase and buy time.......but I don't know if we've had a GM cry wolf about salary cap woes since Donahoe.

It would be insulting if you didn't see exactly how many people on TSW buy the "we can't access that $80M in space until next year" nonsense.

They have been fantastic at spinning the "we were in salary cap hell" narrative. We were not. The Saints going back 4 or 5 offseasons when they had cut like 5 starters by mid Feb - that was a team in "salary cap hell". A team that had a few bad contracts but was still $15-20m clear of the cap ceiling is not in hell.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Beane has also been horrible in unrestricted free agency. 

Not horrible, but certainly nothing to write home about either.  He's the same guy who handed Vontae Davis a decent size deal to ostensibly start. Trent Murphy looks questionable. Star at 50M...meh.  The real good signings happened before he was GM: Hyde and Poyer were when McCoach was on his own.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Bill, don't you think it gets old hearing the same people say over and over again that McBeane "haven't proven anything yet" as if the rest of us are idiots?  It's ok to actually admit they've made some necessary moves, even if you don't personally agree with some of them.  Beane has overseen exactly ONE Bills draft, and that one doesn't look so bad at this point.  Of course this year is a big draft -- they all should be.

When they start winning division titles and/or playoff games, then they've proven their plan has worked.  Until that point, "the process" is talk.  At the minimum, they aggressively sought to draft a long term option at QB who has shown some good signs. That's more than previous regimes from 2006-2017 really mustered.

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Great!

Hopefully the witchery includes winning football games.

I've come to believe many fans measure success now not on wins, but having national sports media respect and on moves made in the off-season.  Excellence has eluded this franchise for so long that expectations have been permanently lowered.  And, in the absence of on-field success, many fans revert to hoping to just being liked.  As in, sports writer X said we're good at this or, this NFL guy likes our pick or, this outlet says our UFA signing is great.

It's basically redefining success to fit an unsuccessful franchise.  

Am i missing something?  TT had just taken us to the playoffs.  Flacco just got benched for Lamar Jackson after missing the playoffs the three years prior.  He also is 34.  its obvious TT was worth more than Flacco.  Im surprised the Broncos traded anything for him as he would have been cut.  

Edited by Bill Murray