Bean at his Witchery, Again!

In an article today from Buffalo Rumblings, a salient point was made regarding Beane's continued witchery (link at bottom if the post). In it, Matt Warren notes that the Baltimore Ravens received a 4th round pick for Joe Flacco. We all know that Beane wrangled a 3rd rounder from the Browns for Tyrod. 

But if you break it down, the pick we got from the Browns was at least 40 spots higher (this is BEFORE compensatory picks are revealed) than the pick the Ravens received for Flacco. 

If you think what Beane pulled off was a bad move, in light of those numbers, you either:

1) Are a Pat***** troll

2) Failed Kindergarten math

3) Take Hatorade, introveniously 

Link:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/2/13/18223460/denver-broncos-trade-for-joe-flacco-altering-buffalo-bills-2019-nfl-draft-trade-possibilities

Maybe we aren't the worst... maybe we sometimes make good moves. Maybe it's time to start to Billeve!

• Like (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I recall that there were a lot of people here who wanted to just cut Tyrod as they thought that Beane couldn’t even get a 7th for him..

Getting pick 65 was a coup.. no doubt..

I mean he got a 5th for AJ McCarron!! That’s crazy. I’m not sure if it’s the Raiders original 5th,  but if it is that’s at the top of the 5th.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Kudos to Beane, although Cleveland being Cleveland may have played a part too.

Plus it seems like it’s a buyers QB market this year, more so than any year I can recall. Figures, too, after years of needing this market and it never materializing the Bills aren’t players when decent QBs are available.

Except Beane's not graded on how well he does on individual trades, even though everyone wants to declare victory immediately on moves these days.

Beane is graded on building a roster, and through 2 off-seasons he and McCoach have a far from finished product ready to compete and win championships.

You can take your individual trade victories, but over the long haul it doesn't matter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

In an article today from Buffalo Rumblings, a salient point was made regarding Beane's continued witchery (link at bottom if the post). In it, Matt Warren notes that the Baltimore Ravens received a 4th round pick for Joe Flacco. We all know that Beane wrangled a 3rd rounder from the Browns for Tyrod. 

But if you break it down, the pick we got from the Browns was at least 40 spots higher (this is BEFORE compensatory picks are revealed) than the pick the Ravens received for Flacco. 

If you think what Beane pulled off was a bad move, in light of those numbers, you either:

1) Are a Pat***** troll

Link:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/2/13/18223460/denver-broncos-trade-for-joe-flacco-altering-buffalo-bills-2019-nfl-draft-trade-possibilities

Maybe we aren't the worst... maybe we sometimes make good moves. Maybe it's time to start to Billeve!

I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that Beane got great value for TT.  Flacco also has 3 years remaining on his contract, which probably contributed to the low price tag to acquire him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Except Beane's not graded on how well he does on individual trades, even though everyone wants to declare victory immediately on moves these days.

Beane is graded on building a roster, and through 2 off-seasons he and McCoach have a far from finished product ready to compete and win championships.

You can take your individual trade victories, but over the long haul it doesn't matter. 

I often wonder why posters like you feel the need to come in and "enlighten" us as to how far the Bills have to go to "compete and win championships" when the only point of the thread was how well Beane manipulated the Browns into giving up pick #65 for Tyrod.

You still didn't answer what was a pretty simple question I posed after another of your diatribes in a different thread about whether or not you approve of the moves Beane and McD have made, and what you would have done differently.

• Like (+1) 10

24 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

1) Are a Pat***** troll

Link:

Let's just wish and pray our front office can one day be compared to the Ravens. Eric Decosta will be a great GM.  I realize Newsome just left but Decosta was a big part of there success during these last two 15yrs . 

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Beane has also been horrible in unrestricted free agency. 

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

7 minutes ago, eball said:

I often wonder why posters like you feel the need to come in and "enlighten" us as to how far the Bills have to go to "compete and win championships" when the only point of the thread was how well Beane manipulated the Browns into giving up pick #65 for Tyrod.

You still didn't answer what was a pretty simple question I posed after another of your diatribes in a different thread about whether or not you approve of the moves Beane and McD have made, and what you would have done differently.

Exactly how many off seasons has Beane been through?  I count one completed(as in through) and one still in the early stages.  Misstating the situation does nothing to bolster your point.  And that was a good trade by our GM.

15 minutes ago, eball said:

You may not like this either e-man.......

I happen to think that Beane did very well wrt this trade. I think that Whaley either got hosed in virtually every deal he made, or it was ill advised. I already place Beane in a higher category that Donahoe, Whaley, Nix, or Levy.

That said, I must agree with BV that the McBeane combo has much more to prove. I could be wrong but I believe that the 2019 draft will tell us what we need to know about them. We will find out soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think you're looking at the whole picture.   Flacco has $44 million guaranteed left on his contract; Taylor had one year at, if I recall correctly, $10 million.   For all the Broncos know, Flacco may be done.  They're taking a much bigger dollar risk than the Browns took on Taylor, so they got a discount.   Or looked at it the other way, the Ravens got a fourth round pick AND dumped $44 million.   They're probably thrilled.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

You may not like this either e-man.......

I happen to think that Beane did very well wrt this trade. I think that Whaley either got hosed in virtually every deal he made, or it was ill advised. I already place Beane in a higher category that Donahoe, Whaley, Nix, or Levy.

That said, I must agree with BV that the McBeane combo has much more to prove. I could be wrong but I believe that the 2019 draft will tell us what we need to know about them. We will find out soon enough.

Bill, don't you think it gets old hearing the same people say over and over again that McBeane "haven't proven anything yet" as if the rest of us are idiots?  It's ok to actually admit they've made some necessary moves, even if you don't personally agree with some of them.  Beane has overseen exactly ONE Bills draft, and that one doesn't look so bad at this point.  Of course this year is a big draft -- they all should be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And he traded Tyrod BEFORE his 6 mill roster bonus was due. Browns had to pay it. 

Terry and Kim are cheap. ?

Beane got a free weeks use of the Taurus for this little maneuver.

Edited by JoeF

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Bill, don't you think it gets old hearing the same people say over and over again that McBeane "haven't proven anything yet" as if the rest of us are idiots?  It's ok to actually admit they've made some necessary moves, even if you don't personally agree with some of them.  Beane has overseen exactly ONE Bills draft, and that one doesn't look so bad at this point.  Of course this year is a big draft -- they all should be.

I don't think that he was calling us idiots. Different people cope in different ways in terms of being a Bills Fan which is a great, however unusual thing to be. ;)

Edited by Bill from NYC

All things aren’t created equal. Flacco has a terrible year that led to being benched and the writing was on the wall as to which way the Ravens were going. Tyrod on the other hand had a decent season before being traded. While he wasn’t playing lights out he did make the playoffs and break the drought. So.....

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

1) Are a Pat***** troll

Link:

ROC, whilst failing Kindergarden math, I contemplated the salary cap implications of both moves.

That does need to be taken into account.  

The Browns were risking 1 year at $16M, not a big risk for a 1 year rental of a QB who finished the 2017 season as a starter (not a great starter, but still)

The Ravens are taking on $18.5M in 2019 salary.  Public details are a bit sketchy, but reportedly there are injury guarantees in there and possibly some remaining guaranteed money?  This is big bucks for a guy who finished the year with his butt on the bench.

The Ravens kind of got the "taking on a bigger cap hit and contract for a guy who showed nothing lately" discount on the trade return.

I guess I kind of don't get your overall viewpoint on evaluating what was or was not a good move - I don't think that makes me either a Pat*** troll or an IV Hatorade junky to say that I think it seems like wearing blinders to look at a move only in the context of the draft pick the trading team received. 

I don't have a problem with the TT trade, but I do most certainly have a problem with the whole aggregate of Buffalo Bills QB moves and roster choices that left us with a training camp of barely-played McCarron, Peterman-threw-5-Picks, and Raw Rookie Allen then had us starting the season with Peterman-threw-5-Picks as the starting QB and no choice but to play Raw Rookie Allen by the second half of the season opener.

That was stupid, and as even Beane himself has publically acknowledged, a mistake. 

So it seems a bit weird to hang your hat on regarding one of the moves that left us in that situation as "witchery" and a win for Beane.

Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1