WR Pierre Garçon available

YoloinOhio

It would be nice to have a veteran in the WR room. 

On the other hand, I like the idea of young guys learning the position with our young QB, so they can all grow together. 

In any event, I'm not really interested in short-term bandaid solutions.  I'd rather a guy that was average in his first year that has a chance of developing into a 1000 yard receiver for years to come.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Not sure he solves any problems. Perhaps on a short deal with not a lot committed, but then why would he pick us unless he sees this as the best opportunity to re-build his value. Seems unlikely. 

He doesn’t need to solve anything on his own,  but right now the “vet leader” in the WR room is Deonte  Thompson, and he’s a FA. He could replace him. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It would be nice to have a veteran in the WR room. 

On the other hand, I like the idea of young guys learning the position with our young QB, so they can all grow together. 

In any event, I'm not really interested in short-term bandaid solutions.  I'd rather a guy that was average in his first year that has a chance of developing into a 1000 yard receiver for years to come.  

They can certainly add both of these. They will need to bring in multiple WRs -  vet and rookie - to upgrade the group. 

Garçon isn’t going to get big money anywhere at this point but he’s a better player than deonte Thompson. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He doesn’t need to solve anything on his own,  but right now the “vet leader” in the WR room is Deonte  Thompson, and he’s a FA. He could replace him. 

They can certainly add both of these. They will need to bring in multiple WRs -  vet and rookie - to upgrade the group. 

Garçon isn’t going to get big money anywhere at this point but he’s a better player than deonte Thompson. 

Fair enough, as a vet presence in the room he'd be solid, I just don't want to pay a premium for his past performance when it's unlikely he'll ever produce like that again. 

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Is he willing to fight for Jesus? 

Peyton used to like how he RAC’d angry. 

Why wouldnt they they give him a shot on the 90 ? 

He shouldn’t be in huge demand given his age and injury history and that’s why I think he might be a guy who they could bring in if he’s open to it. The vet WR market is going to be a very tough nut to crack for the Bills this year. That is just reality. And people forget that we need to bring 90 guys to camp. No one is saying he’s going to be our #1 or even 2 or 3 WR. But they cannot add all rookies. He can still play and if healthy can certainly contribute for a year or 2. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He shouldn’t be in huge demand given his age and injury history and that’s why I think he might be a guy who they could bring in if he’s open to it. The vet WR market is going to be a very tough nut to crack for the Bills this year. That is just reality. And people forget that we need to bring 90 guys to camp. No one is saying he’s going to be our #1 or even 2 or 3 WR. But they cannot add all rookies. He can still play and if healthy can certainly contribute for a year or 2. 

Exactly.

Sure it would be nice to have 5 or 6 well behaved Antonio Brown clones....

nope I just looked- nothing like that on the free agent list. 

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

No thanks. We need you g guys with speed. 

So you’re thinking 5 Tyreek Hill clones ? 

• Like (+1) 1

Solid Blocker - solid hands.  Not sure what he has left in the tank though to be honest.  Could mix him in as a 4th guy though.  Especially with not much on the roster at TE. Need that guy that can get the sticks on 3rd downs.

I just always try to remember - young doesn't mean good.  Especially at WR.  For every JuJu or Ridley - there's flat out busts like ross, coleman, kevin white, Agholor, davante parker.. etc.

Edited by dneveu

Garcon is 32... feels like the Bills only wanna target players coming off their first contract (or maybe a second contract that's only a one or two year deal). That's what they did with Hyde, Poyer, Murphy, Lotulelei, etc. They're looking for guys in a certain range. If they do decide to sign a vet over 30, I'd bet on them offering a short-term deal only. Just seems to be the McBeane method at this point.

Given the cap space the Bills have i think it would be a good get for the younger players in that room & he could also help Josh in some ways seeing as much football as he has & he may be a help to Dabol in some ways, so for a veterans minimum contract because he will still be getting a bit of cash from the 49ers i'd say get him & see what happens !! 

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Garcon is 32... feels like the Bills only wanna target players coming off their first contract (or maybe a second contract that's only a one or two year deal). That's what they did with Hyde, Poyer, Murphy, Lotulelei, etc. They're looking for guys in a certain range. If they do decide to sign a vet over 30, I'd bet on them offering a short-term deal only. Just seems to be the McBeane method at this point.

For long term deals, yes. But they won’t be signing all long term deals in the FA market. They need a lot of players and some will be short term deals too (as you noted). They signed Jeremy Kerley last year, as an example. It didn’t work out but there will be those types of signings at WR imo in addition to drafting a WR and signing one in FA to a decent deal (imo). This would be that type of signing (Kerley). I think (whether people agree with the philosophy or not) McDermott has been pretty clear that he’s looking to add a vet leader for the WRs. At times last year he referred to both Andre Holmes and Deonte Thompson as the “vet leader” role which is sad and also they are both gone now. 

Given the choice I’d rather trade for a vet or sign a guy like Golden Tate but it takes two to tango there and not sure either of those scenarios will play in the Bills favor. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

If they go this route They should add a Vonte/Boldin penalty clause for retiring from the 53 before the end of the second game 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

For long term deals, yes. But they won’t be signing all long term deals in the FA market. They need a lot of players and some will be short term deals too. They signed Jeremy Kerley last year, as an example. It didn’t work out but there will be those types of signings at WR imo in addition to drafting a WR and signing one in FA to a decent deal (imo). This would be that type of signing (Kerley). I think (whether people agree with the philosophy or not) McDermott has been pretty clear that he’s looking to add a vet leader for the WRs. At times last year he referred to both Andre Holmes and Deonte Thompson as the “vet leader” role which is sad and also they are both gone now. 

Yeah - there are still examples of WRs playing productively after age 30.  Nelson still looked relatively productive for the raiders, Amendola was Miami's leading receiver, Emmanuel Sanders was having a great year before tearing his achilles, Crabtree was a solid addition for Baltimore, and obviously Edelman won super bowl MVP so he's still solid.  

I wouldn't rule it out, but i doubt it's like top of our priority like adding some help along the offensive line.

I would definitely bring him in to compete with Zay. He still has something left in the tank and he fits the process. He can actually catch the ball consistently, which is a plus. If we went into 2019 with Foster, Zay, Garcon, and a 1st or 2nd round rookie I would feel very comfortable with that group.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

For long term deals, yes. But they won’t be signing all long term deals in the FA market. They need a lot of players and some will be short term deals too (as you noted). They signed Jeremy Kerley last year, as an example. It didn’t work out but there will be those types of signings at WR imo in addition to drafting a WR and signing one in FA to a decent deal (imo). This would be that type of signing (Kerley). I think (whether people agree with the philosophy or not) McDermott has been pretty clear that he’s looking to add a vet leader for the WRs. At times last year he referred to both Andre Holmes and Deonte Thompson as the “vet leader” role which is sad and also they are both gone now. 

Given the choice I’d rather trade for a vet or sign a guy like Golden Tate but it takes two to tango there and not sure either of those scenarios will play in the Bills favor. 

Good points. I forgot about Kerley. Yeah, I can see them handing out some short-term deals to guys that are 30+ for that veteran leadership they seem to really value. I think the tricky thing with some of these vet receivers is gonna be that they'll likely wanna land with a contender to get one or two more shots at a title. I've heard that about Tate, anyway. Garcon could be helpful. SF WRs stated how much they learned from him during his time there. 

Also, I hope no one will be too terribly surprised when they see some of the deals the Bills hand out. They're gonna overpay a little bit. It can be a tough to recruit FAs here so they gotta drop a little extra cash in the deals as incentive to sign.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1