Would you support a salary dump trade to get draft picks?

Mountain Man

There are a number of teams this year needing to clear cap space, the Chiefs and Eagles being 2 of them.

With all the Bills cap space, and day 2 of the draft being deep at OL, WR and TE. Would people support an Osweiller type trade, for someone like Justin Houston, where the Bills take on the cap hit and get say a 2nd rounder back?

I think it could make sense to help the team

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

There are a number of teams this year needing to clear cap space, the Chiefs and Eagles being 2 of them.

With all the Bills cap space, and day 2 of the draft being deep at OL, WR and TE. Would people support an Osweiller type trade, for someone like Justin Houston, where the Bills take on the cap hit and get say a 2nd rounder back?

The Osweiller deal only worked because his salary was guaranteed. Houston has a large cap figure, but it's not guaranteed salary. His cap hit for the Chiefs is $21.1 million this year. If they cut him their cap hit is only $7.1 million - less if they use June 1st designation. If they trade him to us (or anybody), the Chiefs cap hit is still $7.1 million. There would be no reason for them to give us anything.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The Osweiller deal only worked because his salary was guaranteed. Houston has a large cap figure, but it's not guaranteed salary. His cap hit for the Chiefs is $21.1 million this year. If they cut him their cap hit is only $7.1 million - less if they use June 1st designation. If they trade him to us (or anybody), the Chiefs cap hit is still $7.1 million. There would be no reason for them to give us anything.

Bingo

This is why "salary dump" trades don't happen in the NFL with the exception of the rare Osweiler deal.

The team trading the player still gets slapped with the cap hit, so there's no difference in trading the player or cutting him.

a move with a decent role player salary dump for a significant draft pick(s)  yeah I would entertain that as long as the salary we are taking on wasn't stuck on the books for more than a year or 2. Wouldn't want to be dealing with significant salary cap ramifications 3 years from now with such a deal.

I would support it but as already pointed out the brock osweiler situation is not common since so much of guaranteed money is signing bonus and you can not make another team take that. Also no team is going to send us a good player, no matter how expensive, and additional compensation to get rid of him. Brock was a train wreck and the browns saved the texans from salary cap pergatory for a relatively steep price.

I'd be fine with this type of move, provided we're not taking on long term salary. 

Chances are, we aren't spending all of this years available cap space, as we'll need some of it down the line to extend some of our younger players. So short term, if the player helps AND we get draft capital, absolutely. 

Same as all deals though, depends on the specific trade, but in general I'd be in favour. 

8 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Have we not already done that quite a bit?